Author Topic: Bat Wing Lifting & Closing Ideas  (Read 27869 times)

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Re: Bat Wing Lifting & Closing Ideas
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 11:34:45 AM »
USMC_butler,  #1, if 80 mph will rip off your batwings, you might need to go to a welding class ::thumbup  I don't think that will happen.  As for triggering the wings with your cooling fan relay, at 80 mph your fans will not be coming on.  I don't think that you want them popping up while driving through congested traffic.  Just trigger them off of your speedo trans sensor to the speed that you really want them to open. Also, for actuating your rear spoiler, use the same input from your speedo.  Remember that your spoiler will have to be mounted to your rear framework and not just to your body. ::headbang  Jim
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:37:44 AM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

dratts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 14
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 08:02:18 PM »
My wings were actuated by the Fiero donor headlight motors.  I've never had a problem with them.  We rebuilt them anyway just to head off any future problems.

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 07:06:46 PM »
We used the Autoloc 4" model that I found on EBay for around $130 a piece.

http://www.autoloc.com/catalog/Linear-Actuators/Linear-Actuators/LAD4/4-200-Lb-Capacity-Autoloc-Adjustable-Linear-Actuator-with-Rod-Bearing

These are high quality units with rod bearings, weather proof and include built in limit switches for overtravel.

This is one of those parts that I think it makes sense to spend a little more now and the quality will pay out over and over again in time.

Chris

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 01:37:32 PM »
Do you know where to get a linear actuator that isn't super expensive? Having trouble finding any.

edit: pololu
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 11:47:56 AM by Tallon »

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Bat Wing Lifting & Closing Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 12:42:36 PM »
My buddy Jeff and I worked out a design for bat wings that he's applied to his G24 build and I'm going to reapply on my G28.  He first started with the conventional caravan motor design:
Lamborghini Murcielago supercar replica Batwing video

This worked well but there was a lot of "shake" in the movement and the wings were not the strongest when you pushed down on the wing or at speed when they started catching wind and created lift. 

We worked on a design that uses a lever, linkages and a pivot.
Lamborghini Murcielago Supercar replica batwing levers and pushrods in action.

And this is what the finished product looks like:
Lamborghini Murcielago Supercar Replica Batwing operation

If your frame is open in the rear and can accommodate the rotating rod across the back, you can use one linear actuator to drive both wings in perfect sync.  If you cannot run the rod through the rear, you'll need to power each wing by an individual actuator and sync them manually and run them off a single switch.

In case anyone is wondering, the originals use a linear actuator or either side without the pivot system and they lift the wing via direct contact.  I like this pivot idea because It allows you to play around with the speed of the movement by simply changing the contact point and the amount of throw you have in your lever.  The rough drawing I'm attaching was a early concept to demonstrate the general idea.  I'll start another thread and show you how we decided to do our wing attachment (pivot) points 

Just remember that there are a million different ways to do this and this is just one idea that we are using.  :)

Enjoy

Chris
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:48:40 PM by No Bull »