Author Topic: To kit or not to kit  (Read 1668 times)

norcaldiablo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: To kit or not to kit
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 06:52:32 PM »
Great info...thanks!!!

I was not clear. I have a NAERC chassis. Only the steering column is Fiero.

I agree now on not using an old fuse block. ABout 20 years ago I used a Ron Fransis system and like it very much. I think I will go with his system again. Painless has costs that are WAY less than "painless" Wheeew there prices are high!

Ron Fransis is still around $500 but if I look at the cost of a new fuse block, fuses, relays, plugs, wire etc. etc. etc, I am not sure I could actually save much, and their kits will save a number of mishaps I suspect I would make.  Also bet if I order a kit I get to call and bug them a lot!!!  ::tongue

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 03:12:00 AM »
How much fiero wiring is still on your car , besides the column?

if the headlights tail lights etc wires are still all present I'd say use the fiero . It will be color coded to match already

I agree that fuse box from cars sitting in outside junkyards are likely corroded but if you find fresh cars to the junkyard with good components

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:11:09 AM »
I would recommend getting a new fuse box. The fiero's fuse box contacts are probably corroded from age.
As for buying a complete kit, that really relies on how much you trust your electrician abilities. Using the wrong wire size for the current load or wiring something incorrect could be catastrophic to your build! Of course it's still possible to make mistakes with a kit but at lease you will have some sort of directions to help solve an issue.
And as for the "Painless wiring" name, painless is hardly the case when wiring a whole car. You will most likely run into some speed bumps along the way but at least it's 12v and not 480 3phase lol

norcaldiablo

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
To kit or not to kit
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 08:47:06 PM »
I am doing an IFG Diablo with an LS1  The car came with a Painless wiring harness for the engine. I have spent the last 2 days working with it and finally have it pretty much figured out. Had to make up the pin charts on my own. They don't match any stock diagrams

So it is clear the harness does ONLY the engine. My question now is whether to get Painless to build a full kit for the rest of the car, or jump in and build it all from scratch. I believe I have the technical skills to do so, just don't know if I want to take all the time to figure it all out and perhaps make a mistake.

Another thought was since I have a Fiero column, get all the fuse blocks etc. from a Fiero and go from there.

Any recommendations???

Thanks