Author Topic: wireless paddle shifters  (Read 3135 times)

tonypaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0

tonypaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
wireless paddle shifters
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 04:27:41 PM »
wasnt real sure where to put this, either "engines & transmissions" or "electrical" but here it is anyway-

Im just about ready to swap out my sbc/fiero 5 speed with a LS4/4t65ehd. I have been doing alot of prep work to the car while its still running with the sbc to make the swap process more quick. I have installed my wideband, mounted my transmission controller, and wired my paddle shifters up and few other little things. I orginally wired the paddle shifters with some wires feed down thru the column and thru the console back to my trans controller. I used some coiled telephone wired wrapped inside my steering wheel housing so I could go lock to lock without pulling on the wires. I also hooked up these larger styled paddleshifters.

In the end I just wasnt happy with it, the paddle shifters nor the wiring. The paddleshifters were to big, they were not porportionate to the smaller steering wheel and the wiring was kinda junky looking. So all of it came out, I got to thinking it would be kinda cool to have the padlle shifters wireless and not have all those wires everywhere. I started looking around and all the wireless paddleshifter kits were like $500 and up. "F" that! So I asked around while looking on ebay for something to make it work.

I found a wireless door lock/unlock set on ebay for $20.00 and at the same time someone sent me a link where someone did something similar on a "Jute" or some kind of car. I didnt read the description but I figured I could make it work.

So I got the $20.00 wireless kit tore the key fob open found the terminals on the board where the buttons are located soldered some wires directly to the board. I then used my soldering gun to melt a slot in the key fob case so the wires could come out and I could attach the fob case back together. Wired those wires to another set of paddleshifters I had from an Audi and attached the paddle shifters to these fake paddle shifter thingy that came with a steering wheel I got of ebay awhile back.

I tucked the key fob inside my steering wheel housing and used a couple zip ties to secure it. Since my transmission controller needs a negitive signal for the up/down shift I added a couple relays and wired them for negitive output.
I then wired the controller part of the wireless key system to my transmission controller and mounted it up inside my center console.
And done..... It works perfect! For $20.00 and a couple relays and a hour or so worth of time, I extremly happy.

Just in case the battery goes dead or something happens I have the other key fob remote that works as well. I can push the unlock/"a" button on the key fob and the transmission will upshift, as well with the lock/"b" button for down shift. I also have a 3 way momentary switch mounted in my console thats wired directly to the trans controller in case something happens to the wireless setup.

Here is a pic of what it looks like out side the steeringwheel=
I also added a few more pics of the process to my Flickr album:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31604886@N08/