Author Topic: What's the best place to get Fiberglass Supplies? Links? Thanks all  (Read 1736 times)

Texas

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 39
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
  • Lambo Mafia
Re: What's the best place to get Fiberglass Supplies? Links? Thanks all
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 04:57:11 PM »
Ha I have used 12gal within 6 months and I am not building the entire body just fixing problems. CKI c'mon man surely you want do do a better job!? They use a chopper gun which is economical but is comes with issues. If you are making a mold and a body after that then yes you will use it and maybe then some. not for sure on the price but $1250- $1600 is a ballpark I'm sure some of the builders on here can give you a more accurate price but just look a supplier up and call them. If you plan to sell them then you would be wise not to skimp on material.

Jah316

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 1
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 04:34:27 PM »
Do you think I will go through a whole 55 gals for this (I was thinking 10 or 15 gals)?  If so, how can CarKitInc. sell kits for $3000?  How much is 55 gals of resin- $2000?!!

Texas

• Lambo Mafia
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 04:19:20 PM »
You say that as if you are making molds? If so you are just going to have to jump in and buy a 55gal drum (it's cheaper that way) and a couple of rolls mat and 5gal of gel coat just to start. You are going to need to find a local vendor for this stuff because freight will be alarmingly high. Composite One has many locations across the U.S. and I don't know where you are. Good luck

Jah316

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 03:39:39 PM »
Thanks!  About how many gallons for a full exterior body kit?  How many yards of 50in rolls (about 3 layers?)?  How much is shipping for all that, about $100?  What their phone number or website?  Thx

Texas

• Lambo Mafia
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 01:52:20 PM »
I get mat and resin from Composites One. They are a wholesaler and you will have to get an account but it's easy. They have a $250.00 min order and everything is priced by the pound so that will take a little math. Mat rolls are different weights just tell them roughly what you want and they will let you know the price, I paid 180-190 for 100yd 1.5oz 50in. Resin is also per pound and the smallest quantity is a 5gal specific gravity bla bla about $120-$130 for a five. Gel coat is the same way and unless you are making a lot of parts you shouldn't need this much, my body shop supplies place sells it by the gallon or if you can't locate it close to home then eBay it. I get epoxy resin from a local guy for CF work and the CF from eBay as I don't order that much and it's light weight. Brushes are cheap at Harbor Freight and the other nic nac stuff is cheap enough on eBay. The freight is what will kill you when ordering the heavy stuff like resin and rolls of glass. It really depends on what you are going to be doing with it and how much you need( you always need more) shop around, and call some local fiberglass pool places and see who they use. Hope this helps.

Jah316

What's the best place to get Fiberglass Supplies? Links? Thanks all
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 10:33:01 AM »
Alright all you Lambo Fanatics out there with a select savy about all things fiberglass. Can you all tell me what's the best place to get Fiberglass Supplies (resin, mat, gel coat, PVC, spike roller, etc.). I know ebay has some, but is that the best price wise? Any links would be helpful. Also, can anyone fully explain when to use wax in the resin. Thanks all, Peace!