Author Topic: Bierhanzel's Murci headlight Glass  (Read 10976 times)

bierhanzel

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Liked: 100
  • Member Rating Points: +7/-0
Re: Bierhanzel's Murci headlight Glass
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2014, 05:27:14 AM »
Hello .... Glass lenses from me were original made ​​for Hella!

Newly'm trying to produce quality molds. However, it is a huge problem. Investing in molds about 21.000,- USD and no one can guarantee that the very first molds will be good ....

This is true throughout the story .... Please, no more bullshit ...

I will continue to strive to manufacture, but as I said it is not easy. I will continue to strive for sale here for members Lamboclone "human reasonable prices" .... Original Lamborghini users are able to pay 2x to 3x a more!

Good luck to your work Bierhanzel  ::thumbup ::LAMBO

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2014, 08:05:49 PM »
Yep, I had thought of that too but I'd personally rather have glass.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2014, 08:01:38 PM »
We could make a silicone mold of someone's lenses and use this possibly.
http://www.smooth-on.com/Urethane-Plastic-a/c5_1120_1156/index.html

BigPines

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2014, 07:18:57 PM »
I think pic one is proof that OEM glass was not tempered.

EDIT: Pic two is an OEM light and pic three is what I believe to be one of Bierhanzel's glass. If someone could confirm pic three that would be great. Notice the edges. I don't believe pic two and three are the same lens so three must not be OEM. pic two actually looks a lot closer to FGP's plastic ones than the glass one in pic three.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 07:35:53 PM by BigPines »

BigPines

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2014, 03:59:49 PM »
OK, now things are starting to make more sense. So the glass that Bierhanzel sold may not have been OEM glass? I was under the impression it was. Does anyone know for sure the source of that glass? Bierhanzel?

I don't think your little chips will spread like that. I think they would have already done that if they were going to.

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 03:46:46 PM »
I don't know if our glass is made from the same factory as the oem glass I thought it was just copied from oem.
jeez I hope the little nicks don't spread like that

thats what I thought about the weight too, they are pretty heavy for lenses

BigPines

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 02:52:08 PM »
Interesting observations Tallon.

Yes, when glass chips very easily on the edges, it may be a sign that it has been tempered. Tempered glass is cooled in a way that retains a lot of tension in the molecules. This causes it to be much stronger on the surface (and of course safer when it breaks) but the side effect is it doesn't like impacts on the edges. So when the smallest crack occurs on the edge, it spreads quickly. Sometimes, even striking it on a small grain of sand will cause chips but larger impacts may cause catastrophic failure (crazing into tiny round pieces - like on windows of automobiles). My guess is the factory glass is tempered but it is tough to tell. Does anyone have a picture of a broken lens? That should confirm the suspicion.

The fact that you are seeing some tiny bubbles in factory glass could be a clue about how it was manufactured. Maybe this glass was not press molded as I originally thought. Very interesting.

EDIT: I just had another thought. I was just wondering why Lamborghini, who is obsessed with saving weight on their cars, would use heavy glass headlight lenses when they could have used plastic. Perhaps one reason is they were worried about heat from the Xenon projectors warping/distorting them?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:01:41 PM by BigPines »

Tallon

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 02:13:41 PM »
Looks good to me.. all the 'fanciness' of the sides on the glass ones isn't necessary anyway

I wouldn't have thought our glass was tempered idk is it supposed to chip so easily? I didn't figure I didn't want glass until I held them in my hands. Very heavy and if you easily dropped it that would be a lot of $ gone :( Of course they'll be in the car... eventually.

There are a couple very tiny bubbles in my lenses, no one would notice though I don't think
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 02:20:34 PM by Tallon »

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2014, 01:25:30 PM »
Not bad! I would be willing to check them out..

BigPines

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 01:13:51 PM »
I just heard back from FGP. It doesn't look like their lenses are cast copies from OEM parts to me (see attached image). They appear to be thinner and vacuum formed (possibly from an OEM shaped buck). The price I was quoted was $330 USD a pair including shipping to L.A.

BigPines

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 12:50:16 PM »
So you are both saying you don't want glass now? Why have glass produced then? ::scratch

It sounds like the OEM glass may be tempered. Yes?

I would be interested to know the process which your local company is proposing to use to make these lenses. I have done quite a bit of research on this during the last few weeks. I know bubbles can get in the glass if they aren't done the right way. I believe there are two basic methods of getting these done without bubbles: 1) Slumped glass which is cheaper and lower quality 2) Press molding which is more expensive but higher quality. Based on images I have seen, it appears Lamborghini used press molding but I am not 100% certain of this. I believe there are only a handful of companies in the U.S. that can do the press molding for an item as large as these lenses. I have found three that say they can do them for me. One of them is a manufacturer of aircraft light lenses that is willing to do a small run. This company typically makes their lenses from borosilicate (heat resistant laboratory grade) glass. I have access to some OEM lenses I was planning to use to get an accurate estimate from these companies.

Please keep us up to date on the status of your project because I certainly don't want to waste money and time reinventing the wheel if yours is going to go forward.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:19:33 PM by BigPines »

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2014, 11:30:12 AM »
I agree with tallon....

On another note I have a invester that is willing to front the money for the mold setup fees and I am willing to pull my glass from my buckets if necessary. I've talked with Bull about a local company to him that my be able to copy them. I'm still trying to work out the details.

BigPines

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 11:24:25 AM »
Well, if you ever decide you want to unload yours, I'm sure you won't have a problem finding a buyer. :)

Tallon

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 11:06:32 AM »
actually even though I have glass lenses I've been thinking I'd rather them in plastic because I'm terrified of them breaking. Just setting them down got tiny chips in them, only the bottom but still..

BigPines

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 11:00:12 AM »
I don't know how I missed that post about plastic headlight lenses molded from the originals. I looked on FGP's site and didn't see them. I'll send them an e-mail to see if I can get more details. I have looked into manufacturing glass lenses but so far, the tooling/molds are just too expensive to make it work. I don't know what the demand would be but I am guessing I could only sell 10 or so pair if I got this going. That makes it tough to get the cost down but I am still looking into it.