Author Topic: what do i need to build a perfect Murcielago Build options ? please help  (Read 14861 times)

Tusabes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
I don't want to get in a debate , but that chassis you posted has no relation to a murci kit car. That is a full roll cage with no door opening !!!

. That's a track car cage. It does not relate to a lambo build at all .

No murci build I've seen has a full roll cage , or airbags, or real bumpers , or manufacturer-level safety door beams . 

You can talk about how safe your build "will be" but as of now I'm only going by finished cars . My own and the others I've seen . I have a completed kit and acknowledge these cars aren't safe.  When yours is complete you can show us the safety features

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0

As regarding safety, you'd be nuts to have that much power in a kit car. You will kill yourself if you try driving a kit car like a m5 .  There is no factory designed side impact protection , no airbags , the bumpers are just fiberglass shells, the doors are just fiberglass shells , and the crumple zones have been altered.  The wheels usually have spacers that are known to fail with high Hp , as do axle shafts and other parts when you start going over 300hp.

Kit cars are not safe cars, they are the most unsafe cars on the Road. They are certainly not the right car for fast or high performance driving. They are for looks.

Hafta dissagree with you there.  You can make a replica as safe or safer than the OE equivalent by incorporating all of the things that you mentioned.  I know that mine should exceed the OE in handling and crashworthiness, that was my motivation for not using a donor, even though the same can be done to make them safer.  Look at RT's build, he basically took the fiero tub and built a tube chassis around it.

Besides a propperly built replica only uses the FG to move the air out of the way and to keep your stuff dry when it rains :}

see
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:20:23 PM by AdrianBurton »

am33r

• Liked: 37
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
  • YOLO
I agree with tusabes regarding safety (You can make it somewhat safer than just fiberglass on top of nothing but still not for driving it crazy).

I don't have a catalog for everything u need for the build but here are all the lights and grills OEM

Here is my Murcielago OEM Light Set Full Exterior (2 Plate, 2 Tail, 1 3rd. Brake, 4 Markers).

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=155577697941965&set=pb.146782348821500.-2207520000.1364928351&type=3&theater

And if you decide to build a roadster, here is my OEM Grill Set Full Exterior

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=155577884608613&set=pb.146782348821500.-2207520000.1364928351&type=3&theater

And here is my Kit

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=146784622154606&set=pb.146782348821500.-2207520000.1364928351&type=3&theater

I have all the part numbers on my reciepts for these things that I bought (: lemme know if you need info.

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
my thing is i want a very fast car if im gonna replicate a lambo it better be fast as one at least close whats the point having a murci that only goes 300hp and get smoked by m5  ::tongue i know its way lighter but still i just want a fast car maybe not 700 the more i think about dont want to kill my self either maybe something around 500-600 hp is more reasonable still scary fast this guy dean just drop a crate in to a vendetta thats putting out over 650hp its a beast but my plans are changing a bit i want the aventador bad i know their is a kit now but their are no parts yet no lights no grills yet its gonne be a while for those to come up so im lowering my budget to the murci now for  i dont want to spend over 45k on this build what will that get me not sure gonna just try to get the best deals i can find and make it work its gonna be hard

Just get a completed murci off eBay for $25-30k and do whatever minor tweaks are needed to make it your own

You are not going to build a decent one from scratch for less.

As regarding safety, you'd be nuts to have that much power in a kit car. You will kill yourself if you try driving a kit car like a m5 .  There is no factory designed side impact protection , no airbags , the bumpers are just fiberglass shells, the doors are just fiberglass shells , and the crumple zones have been altered.  The wheels usually have spacers that are known to fail with high Hp , as do axle shafts and other parts when you start going over 300hp.

Kit cars are not safe cars, they are the most unsafe cars on the Road. They are certainly not the right car for fast or high performance driving. They are for looks.

am33r

• YOLO
The new Vendetta looks great! A brand new one is cheaper than a 10 year old gallardo! For $60K I'd take it any day.

On the other hand, I've seen a civic that smokes an M5 - it's just a matter of hp to weight ratio. When the Murci 580 came out it was over 4500 lb. I dunno - it'd be nice to know - what's the average weight on a replica Murci with a 350 sort of conversion on a Fiero!

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
A Audi transaxle won't handle the big HP. Count out a big portion of your budget of you plan on going with a transaxle set up. I've seen some aftermarket transaxles that will handle the power but they are $12k +. Not to be discouraging, just sayin.

mogoes49

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
my thing is i want a very fast car if im gonna replicate a lambo it better be fast as one at least close whats the point having a murci that only goes 300hp and get smoked by m5  ::tongue i know its way lighter but still i just want a fast car maybe not 700 the more i think about dont want to kill my self either maybe something around 500-600 hp is more reasonable still scary fast this guy dean just drop a crate in to a vendetta thats putting out over 650hp its a beast but my plans are changing a bit i want the aventador bad i know their is a kit now but their are no parts yet no lights no grills yet its gonne be a while for those to come up so im lowering my budget to the murci now for  i dont want to spend over 45k on this build what will that get me not sure gonna just try to get the best deals i can find and make it work its gonna be hard

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Lambo Mafia
Why spend the money on a replica?- Because I want to build my car. It's the type of thing I love to do.
Why not buy a diablo?- I don't want a Diablo.
Why 700hp- Why buy a camaro if your not going to race it? Buy a yaris.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 12:03:07 AM by SchulzeA »

jamack

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-2
you know VF1 you are correct why spend 80, 90 k on a fake anything,  maybe it has more to do with something that someone likes or loves to do, I can tell 100,000% if I knew I would have near what I have in my 640 build I would have bought a real OEM car and more so to have the car now to enjoy, I built this car with my son to do a project  with him before he leaves for college, the biggest issue I see is there is allot of JUNK out there, allot of these guys see a high price on an OEM part and they start seeing dollar signs and then do a poor job of replicating it and then wonder why people won't buy. When you start talking about 700 HP there is allot more issues then just getting that HP of a motor, then you have to think about trans axle, half shafts, clutches that can handle the torque not the HP so obtaining that type of performance is probably going to cost more then the project in general, 500 to 575 is more realistic and then your are starting to stretch it a bit, by no means do I want to discourage anyones dream to obtain the best that can be done but I do agree it comes to a point of getting out of hand.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Didn't we just do this about 6 weeks ago.  If we start at the top and work down, we end up with a Fiero chassis.  If we start at the bottom and work up, we end up with a custom.  Then Mr. Budget gets involved and BOOOM!!!  If you like to dream, then dream.  If you want to set goals, then set goals.  If you want near perfect looks, correct exhaust sound, excellent performance, then go to the dealer.  Set your budget.  Take the estimate road to custom chassis, leather, engine, etc and hit the "Total" key.  Then take the Fiero/MR2/Other road and see how that figures up for you.  It's your ride.  How fast or how long the road goes is limited sometimes.  Have fun.  Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Lambo Mafia
 >:(  Big scary budget busting v8's!!!! Ahhhh  >:(

am33r

• YOLO
 ::beers  ::rocker  ::headbang  ::headbang  ::bounce

Let's drop the 700hp idea, and the OEM look. How about you get a G28 and make the BEST G28 kit possible that a $40K will do. You can't do better than BEST  ::toothy Also, When do you want to drive this thing? Next year or Next month?

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
Firstly, you did state "perfect Murcielago" and then you said Fiero.  An OEM close Murcie will just have to have a custom chassis.  This will give you a little more room in the cab.  A custom chassis can be fitted with Corvette C-6 brakes.  I would drop the ABS.  With a custom chassis you will be more able to handle a high hp engine setup with an audi transaxle.  Vintage AC/heater unit.  Just for starters.  This "hobby" is expen$ive.   Jim

That's not true. I sat in Murcie-Me's car and it was comfortable enough to drive across country in it if I wanted to. He also had Corvette Brakes on his car with a built engine. Sure 190hp isn't much but really you don't need 500hp to be satisfied with a car like that. All a Tube chassis, V8 and so on is gonna do is rise the cost of the build to OEM price range and by then you might as well should consider buying a real used gallardo.... I don't understand why people suggest tube chassis. There comes a point and time with these cars where once you get to deep it no longer is cost effective to build one.

To the OP bottom line is your budget will determine how "Perfect" your build will be. Figure out what do you want to use the car and go from there. If all you want is the looks consider buying a Mercy 2 from CKI and doing some body work. Get a Fiero with a swapped V6 engine and you should be on your way to a decent car. If not search Ebay for a project. There's plenty of them. You really don't need 700hp from a Fiero to be fast. a 3800 S/C swap will take care of your performance needs. Especially for a Fiero based car.

I think you are missing the point... Mike has over $60,000 in his build and he did most of the work himself.  This could translate into $80,000 - $90,000 if you are paying someone to do the work in a shop and this was the point I was trying to make. 

If you are happy with an original Fiero drive train, then use a Fiero, however the member that started this thread said he wanted an upgraded drivetrain and other mechanicals. 

After spending countless hours and a lot of money on materials modifying a Fiero frame to accommodate a different engine, transmission, rear mounted radiators, body mounts and building in some structural supports for safety, I will tell anyone thinking of building a car to consider a custom or OEM frame (depending on body type) over a Fiero.  In the long run it can save both money and time and also lead to a better end product underneath the body. 

The Fiero has proven to be an awesome and reliable donor but when the builder is expecting to add different engine and transmission combinations and build the car to closer to OEM spec's underneath the body, there is a point of diminishing returns and using a custom frame makes more sense both financially and practically.

I would (and will) go the route of a custom frame the next time around.   8)

Chris

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
Here we go again with the tube chassis not being cost effective without ever attempting to build one or the other ::)
putting expensive parts on a fiero wouldn't be cost effective either but that doesn't mean you have to do it that way...?
We use vette brakes on tube chassis' just like the fiero owners do...

I'd say buy the black one for 25k, plenty of room to fix it up
few hundred for an oem style bumper, redo interior and it'll look good i think
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 11:29:20 AM by Tᴀʟʟá´É´ »

apsara

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • Liked: 32
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-1
just buy the one thats on ebay, 25K already built and you can drive it the next day.  and if you have to make a few changes it won't cost you a fortune

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Replica-Kit-Makes-Lamborghini-Murcielago-Black-/271179994950?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f23965746