Author Topic: R8 wrap by Spyder, and curious about wraps.  (Read 2473 times)

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
Re: R8 wrap by Spyder, and curious about wraps.
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 03:33:56 PM »
Lots of lambos are wrapped a different color it's just looks like paint so it's hard to tell the difference

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 01:52:59 PM »
Personally I think the wraps are best for protection if you are having the car autographed (I see a lot of charity cars use this process) or if you want some type of detailed graphics or print for advertising, racing or something unique.  I've seen pictures of a "chrome' wrapped Murci that looked really cool and probably wouldn't have been possible without using the wrap.  I'm planning on using good ole fashioned pearl white with some tastefully applied racing / sponsor decals and this should give it the race car effect.   8)

Chris   

Tallon

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 01:17:07 PM »
Yeah the wraps are pretty expensive
I think I'd get bored with one color for too long but I'm still doing mine in pearl white paint to begin with. If I ever get to that stage that is.
My girlfriend doesn't even want me doing it in white LOL

I think the matte violet looks amazing, but would I keep it as the permanent color probably not.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 01:23:35 PM by Tallon »

SchulzeA

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 12:07:03 PM »
That makes sense but you also see some quality paint jobs with cheap paint out there, just saying. I'm not a painter though.

It may look perfect, the problem is, for how long? I painted a 56 chevy that turned out nice but they guy insisted on using Summit racing paint. I prepped everything as usual and the paint ended up pulling away and bubbling is some areas after a year.
Also, painting isn't hard. There's a ton of informative videos online that will walk you through the process.

MDMurcy2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 11:28:58 AM »
Yeah, I've been told you have to have a nice clean paint job to begin with.   SO....like you said, defeats the purpose really.  Gotta spend a ton of time and money in paint just to cover it up, which I'm finding out the costs of the wraps, reputable ones, are outrageous!   Guess this is more for those guys with money, unlike me, that get bored having a Lamborghini or Bugatti or other, in one color for too long.   
Keep dreamin if you want to, I'm building mine!  And I'm almost done!

Tallon

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 11:20:16 AM »
That makes sense but you also see some quality paint jobs with cheap paint out there, just saying. I'm not a painter though.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:23:52 AM by Tallon »

SchulzeA

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 11:00:18 AM »
Why not just do a quality paint job if you have to paint the car anyhow? You will need to do the same amount of body work before applying the wrap as for paint.  Plus, do it properly and it will last longer than 10 years in my experience.
And you still need to use a quality paint if you decide to wrap your car. The bond between the body and the paint is crucial considering the paint holds the wrap on.
I don't mean to sound negative... just my opinion.

Tallon

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 05:25:28 PM »
I was interested in this to but I think I might do it, still not sure. Digibeam is wrapping his and he is where I get my info from.
It can last several years and I think I read somewhere else 10 years, not sure if that's true. It can be made to look seamless like paint if you wrap every panel properly. It has to be wrapped over a gloss finish to adhere properly so you still have to have the car painted but it can just be cheap paint. Not sure how it affects the paint I think it doesn't unless it's on for a very long time. Like the real lambos that are wrapped I'm sure they aren't keeping it on there for several years until it falls off.

I like the idea of changing colors whenever you want.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 05:32:09 PM by Tallon »

MDMurcy2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
R8 wrap by Spyder, and curious about wraps.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 01:33:05 PM »
Spyder & Audi R8 - Wrap Timelapse

So I really never saw how a wrap was done before.   Just never took the time to follow up.  Saw this vid today on an R8. 
Does anyone have any knowledge of wraps?   How long do they hold up?  How does it affect the OEM paint job? 

Mainly though......Is it impractical for our replicas?  Does the body have to be painted, lets say if you wanted your car wrapped in satin black or a satin color?   As a replica build, could you just do a moderate finish of the body, perhaps just a sealer or something, then have the replica wrapped.

I personally wouldnt wrap my car.  I'm just curious and for conversation......
Guys I have no knowledge of this,  this may be a stupid question......but what are some thoughts????
Keep dreamin if you want to, I'm building mine!  And I'm almost done!