Author Topic: Happy I Found This Place  (Read 16695 times)

notnilc20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 174
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
Re: Happy I Found This Place
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 01:53:55 AM »
No prob. Yeah, anything can be done if you throw enough money at it. It just seems like a ton more work relocating the dash, shortening the column, and relocating engine and tranny. Why even use a donor at that point. Custom chassis would be more sufficient. Or you could do what is already proven and start with a MId engine car as your donor.

But this is your build and no one else's. build it how you want and if you think you can make it work, then go for it. We will support you either way you do it.

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 01:41:30 AM »
notnilc20,

Thanks for the response. I understand about the differences in cab placement. Maybe I am naive but couldn't the dash and seats be moved up and shorten the steering column? Of course a new firewall would have to be created in the rear. I know the engine could be mounted mid-rear because it is being done in the GTM Supercar: https://www.factoryfive.com/kits/gtm-supercar/design/#_framechassiscontent

Looks like they are using a Porsche 911 tranny. It would be a wicked set-up wouldn't it?
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

Jadams

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 12:36:35 AM »
Welcome

satinta

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 12
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 12:27:01 AM »
Welcome!!

notnilc20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 174
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 11:59:49 PM »
The issue with the Corvette donor is the position of the seats in relation to the wheels. You are sitting closer to the rear wheels. The LP640 is a cab forward design in which the seats are closer to the front of the car. This gives it that exotic look. Plus you may have issues with the firewall and the fact the front end of a corvette is so long whereas the Lp640 front is so short.

I wouldn't even think about trying to relocate the engine and trans. Better to go with a Fiero donor. But the best thing to do is buy someone's else's unfinished project. You save money and time. Also most times they've already done the stretch and engine trans upgrades.

Oh yeah, welcome to the boards!!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 12:09:31 AM by notnilc20 »

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
Happy I Found This Place
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 10:19:05 PM »
I have been a huge fan of Lamborghini since I was around 12 years old. I knew about kit cars even back then and dreamed that someday I may be able to build my own. At the time I was totally in love with the Countach - it is still an amazing car and holds up well to this day. Later, the Diablo caught my eye and eventually the Murcielago. In my opinion, the LP640 is still the most beautiful automobile ever made. I do like the Aventador but not nearly as well as the Murcielago LP640. For me, it doesn't get any better.

Now, 30 years since my infatuation began, I have finally decided to make plans to build my own LP640. I want to get this built before the LP640 kits dry up and everyone moves on to the Aventador and other models. With this purpose in mind, I have been lurking here for a couple weeks. I must say, this place is AMAZING! I have been so inspired by the creativity and craftsmanship I have seen and I am very impressed with how helpful members are to one another here. Murci-Me, I see you are in SoCal also so at some point, I'd love to talk with you and see your car. I would love to buy some parts from you. Your work is top notch!

I am posting this here instead of the build diary area because I am not quite ready to take the plunge. I am still doing research and trying to figure out exactly what I want to do. I would love some advice and input from those with the experience I lack. I am going to take my time. I probably won't actually start building for a year or two.

Donor: My first instinct was that I should use an MR2 or even possibly a Porsche Boxter as my donor. I know they aren't as popular as the Fiero but I figure they both have better suspension and horse power than the Fiero and I could get a better bang for my buck by going that route. Also, and unfortunately, I live in the People's Republic of California so my choice of donor is even more important because I am going to be stuck with the particular engine associated with the VIN of my donor for emissions purposes. However, I understand there are some problems getting the body to sit correctly on the Boxter so I was leaning toward the MR2. I have seen a couple of MR2 builds and I understand they have their own unique challenges. I'd love to hear more.

Today I had a bit of a revelation (at least until someone tells me it won't work). I figured since I need to keep the engine associated with the VIN and lots of people are switching out Corvette suspension/brakes anyway, why not base a build on a C5 Corvette? This way, I would have lots of power and good handling from the get go. The other thing is the wheelbase of the C5 is only .4 inches shorter than the LP640 so I wouldn't have to stretch it! It is almost perfect! I'm sure I could hide .2 inches in each wheel well. I know, the big problem with this donor is it doesn't have a rear mid-engine. I assume this could be done and I figure it would be cheaper to do this conversion then mess with stretching, building a custom frame and upgrading the suspension wouldn't it? I am kind of surprised nobody has mentioned this donor so this may be more of an obstacle than I think. Go ahead and tell me I'm crazy if that is the case.

I'll be honest, I have very little experience with welding and body work. I do have SOME experience and I am definitely willing to try and learn more. However, my brother is an experienced mechanic and has done some fabrication work. He doesn't know it yet but I am planning to enlist him in my glorious cause. I have a feeling he would love the adventure. :)

I think I want to go with a John Watson, Extreme Sportscars or Cliff's Custom Fab kit. From what I understand, they are all OEM spec kits. I understand John Watson may have the best quality available. How do I contact him? I can't seem to find a web site or anything on him. Is he still in business? Are there any other options for OEM spec body kits?

I think I am realistic with the financial aspect of this project. I know it won't end up being a "cheap" car but I think it will be worth it. I plan to start with approximately $10K and I plan to set aside $500 a month until the project is finished. I figure, that is a reasonable car payment if I was making one. Maybe it will take me 10 years to finish - I don't know. I figure slow and steady can win the race. I want to do this build right.

Your insights will be appreciated.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:45:07 AM by BigPines »
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?