Author Topic: batbuilder's LP640 called "No Mercie"  (Read 127206 times)

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
Re: batbuilder's LP640 called "No Mercie"
« Reply #739 on: April 25, 2014, 03:07:53 PM »
Yes, if the material behind the carbon is not black, it will tend to show through unless there are multiple layers of carbon. Good catch!
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

Digibeam

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #738 on: April 25, 2014, 02:01:34 PM »
quick note on vacuum bagging using single layers of CF and FG behind,  the white will show through if you dont use several layers of CF, several layers of CF is more than enough for the part and then i tend to back it with a black layer of a composite mixture or 2 part urethane tinted black.

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #737 on: April 25, 2014, 10:28:20 AM »
Yes Big Pines and Rawbuilder I have actually had a chance to see that process done. I think its the best but then again we are talking kit car bodies. I think the process has to be somewhat simple and efficient to keep the prices within the realm of the average Joe. Talking about myself. I do like the wet layup for the carbon fiber and also using vinylester for my cars but I would probably produce additional pieces in random mat and polyester resin which is fine for what we do. In my humble opinion.
I have recently had a chance to tour a kit car manufacturer, aerospace manufacturer and Viking Pools manufacture plant north of Sacramento. All were so different and yet so much alike. The aerospace manufacture was producing wind turbine generator blades. Just incredible work.

vacuum bagging with a top layer of cf and the rest of the layers in glass would be efficient in terms of cost, look, and finish of part. I myself have started getting into vacuum bagging with cf, its alot of fun.

Vacuum bagging is better than standard wet layup for sure but in my mind, why not just do infusion? It is cheaper because it uses less resin, the parts are lighter, stronger and have a better surface quality. I don't see much of a downside compared to standard vacuum bagging. The only extra complexity is one resin hose.

I personally don't understand the practice of doing carbon-glass mix. You have the added expense of carbon without the strength of pure carbon and you get most the weight of glass. If you are purely doing a dress part, you could make an argument for it I guess but I wouldn't bother. Carbon isn't *THAT* expensive. You'd be so much better off using carbon with a foam core.

Mike
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #736 on: April 25, 2014, 10:00:03 AM »
What happened to your Reventon bodies?

INSPIREcomposite (BANNED)

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 108
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #735 on: April 25, 2014, 06:05:49 AM »
Yes Big Pines and Rawbuilder I have actually had a chance to see that process done. I think its the best but then again we are talking kit car bodies. I think the process has to be somewhat simple and efficient to keep the prices within the realm of the average Joe. Talking about myself. I do like the wet layup for the carbon fiber and also using vinylester for my cars but I would probably produce additional pieces in random mat and polyester resin which is fine for what we do. In my humble opinion.
I have recently had a chance to tour a kit car manufacturer, aerospace manufacturer and Viking Pools manufacture plant north of Sacramento. All were so different and yet so much alike. The aerospace manufacture was producing wind turbine generator blades. Just incredible work.

vacuum bagging with a top layer of cf and the rest of the layers in glass would be efficient in terms of cost, look, and finish of part. I myself have started getting into vacuum bagging with cf, its alot of fun.

batbuilder

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Liked: 58
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #734 on: April 25, 2014, 01:03:13 AM »
OK last one for the night. Been doing a lot of welding on the panel frame and its actually starting to look like something. Remember this is just the panel frame but it will be used to create the chassis oh and its not finished . Thanks for looking. I appreciate all the conversations I've had with you all off the website....dave

batbuilder

« Reply #733 on: April 25, 2014, 12:58:34 AM »
I had bought two more 88 fieros for my reventon bodies but since that didn't happen here they sit. I do plan on building a couple reventon in the future but who knows by then I might have a tubular chassis to put them on. I do have a Northstar engine and tranny ready to go.

batbuilder

« Reply #732 on: April 25, 2014, 12:53:58 AM »
The murcie body had to be moved outside until I can get the chassis over to my house

batbuilder

« Reply #731 on: April 25, 2014, 12:51:51 AM »
So the skull face came out great so now I can make as many as I want....right?

batbuilder

« Reply #730 on: April 25, 2014, 12:46:25 AM »
So it popped right out. that always feels good.

batbuilder

« Reply #729 on: April 25, 2014, 12:44:23 AM »
Had a skull laying around my garage so I thought might as well try to mold that.

batbuilder

« Reply #728 on: April 25, 2014, 12:42:04 AM »
Made molds of the light boxes even though my intention is to redo these parts too. Insurance. The edging around the light box was very much off from the left and right sides. Also whoever created them put tape on the inside of the mold creating a tape line in the finish product. And finally the holes are such a pain to cut so I hope to incorporate them into the mold.

batbuilder

« Reply #727 on: April 25, 2014, 12:36:16 AM »
This was a piece I acquired on ebay its a mounting unit for the underside of the light box as I like to call it. The piece was generally in good shape but two issues I had were the connection to the light box had a lot of gaps and the surface had a lot of marring and scratches. So even though I made a mold of the unfinished version( I call that insurance) I will remake the light mount better, tighter and cleaner. I've trimmed up the areas to make it fit better and even extended some of the side to create a better fit. Refiberglassed some torn parts that ruptured during the pulls. I also bondo sanded primered wet sanded and painted them in a semigloss black with a clear coat. Should have them ready by next week to create some molds.

batbuilder

« Reply #726 on: April 25, 2014, 12:27:09 AM »
These were some molds that meant so much to me when I first started. They were built out of styrafoam with bondo and the primered and painted. The mold making at the time consisted of brushing on PVA and for most of the molds the surface was simply gelcoat. Not tooling. I even had some molds that were polyester resin. The world has changed for me as some of the new products were introduced to me and I figured out the technique. Just hours and hours of trial and error. So it was a sad and non-ceremonious end to these molds being thrown in the dumpster but its now out with the old and in with the new.

batbuilder

« Reply #725 on: April 25, 2014, 12:18:43 AM »
Ok  what Ive been up to since I have no molds. The miniT a 2/3 scale Tumbler replica built pretty accurate. The initial frame is to simply support the panels but it will be used as a template for the chassis I will be building for the following build, This is simply the mock-up panels for the molds I will be pulling.