Author Topic: batbuilder's LP640 called "No Mercie"  (Read 131035 times)

Murci-Me

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: batbuilder's LP640 called "No Mercie"
« Reply #514 on: June 20, 2012, 10:05:11 PM »
Did you prefit the door panels in the door weatherstripping area on the car before doing all this work to them?

batbuilder

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Liked: 58
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #513 on: June 20, 2012, 09:44:30 AM »
Hey Usmc-butler, thanks for the kind words... The "great stuff" I believe you are talking about from lowes is that weather proofing material in a can. You may find that it reacts with polyester or epoxy resins in that it may melt. The stuff from Tap has no reaction with resins and can be used as a filler or more commonly to make molds. In making molds you have to use PVA on the part you are going to mold and pour the foam over the part. Putting the part in a cardboard box helps to contain the foam. Its not the way I like to make a mold and very messy. On my 89 batmobile I taped off voids in the unibody and sprayed the Lowes stuff in a can for sound proofing. Some of the material came out holes I didn't see and after it dried I simply cut it off. Really helped to cut down the road noise.
I got my parts for the window cutting and if successful I will post where and what I got. But like I had mentioned before I have three different methods that might work. I'm willing to give it a try in the name of science. Lol And I do expect some broken glass. Glad you like the Big Kahuna project and it is a build for a good cause. So I'm hoping the hydraulic steering and driveshaft assembly turns out good. Thanks again for looking and I do appreciate the opportunity to share....dave
PS I did get those side markers from you as promised. It was amazing how you got all those markers, bulbs and switch in that little box!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:49:45 AM by batbuilder »

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #512 on: June 20, 2012, 08:21:16 AM »
Oh, so many questions an comments! First of all you are teaching us way more then you are learning  ::study second of all I didn't have a clue that TAP sold a foam filler. Stupid question that isn't the same stuff as the "great Stuff" Lowes sells out of a can is it ::duh? Door panels are turning out great! And as for the "Big Kahuna" that is just Awesome in its own category ::headbang!

batbuilder

« Reply #511 on: June 20, 2012, 01:33:58 AM »
Last pics of the night. please indulge me in sharing some pics today of the body panels I had made for the Big Kahuna. These are not in correct positions but give you a general idea of how it will come together.That big guy in the picture is my partner with our pool company and my best friend Harold. When I say partner I always like to point out "business" partner not "domestic" partner. Lol. Ive been happily married to my wifey for 25 years, but hey this is California...  Thanks again for looking...dave
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:56:34 AM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #510 on: June 20, 2012, 01:29:12 AM »
Got my taillight lenses from mark. Rudy red. I did notice the side was not really sanded well it had a ridge in it. Pretty distinct so I guess that will be up to me to sand and fit.

batbuilder

« Reply #509 on: June 20, 2012, 01:26:12 AM »
Here's the foam product I use its resistant to polyester resin. Mix the two parts and give it a lot of room to expand. Pour it on the area to be foamed and after it fills the area stop playing with it. Remember you will have plenty of time to shape and sand after it sets up. So its better to go more than too short. In this case I am simply using it as a filler.

batbuilder

« Reply #508 on: June 20, 2012, 01:19:33 AM »
Here is a piece that still needs to be filled with more foam

batbuilder

« Reply #507 on: June 20, 2012, 01:17:26 AM »
Cut and lay out the fiberglass mat. Sand and acetone the fiberglass on the seat brace.

batbuilder

« Reply #506 on: June 20, 2012, 01:16:17 AM »
readying the rear seat panel for fiberglassing. Grind and acetone first

batbuilder

« Reply #505 on: June 20, 2012, 01:14:09 AM »
I love the smell of fiberglass in the morning!!! ( Apocolypse Now )

batbuilder

« Reply #504 on: June 20, 2012, 01:11:54 AM »
The most important part is to make sure you have as much area as possible on the edges to get good adhesion. I even cut small strips of fiberglass to hold that fiberglass in during the set-up period.

batbuilder

« Reply #503 on: June 20, 2012, 01:09:03 AM »
Almost forgot to put the tape on and without it, it would have stuck like glue. I use the tape to act as a release material for the fiberglass.

batbuilder

« Reply #502 on: June 20, 2012, 01:06:40 AM »
The door panel handle was already done but where it had holes in the door panels I fiberglassed it to the exact shape of the door handle. We also placed an indentation on the inside so when you grab the handle it has a grab hold.

batbuilder

« Reply #501 on: June 20, 2012, 01:03:36 AM »
Woke up this morning with fiberglassing on my mind.

batbuilder

« Reply #500 on: June 20, 2012, 01:02:23 AM »
The long upper piece had the same thing done to the backside. Its really important to me to have these pieces seriously attached to the door panel.