Author Topic: batbuilder's LP640 called "No Mercie"  (Read 129868 times)

batbuilder

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Liked: 58
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: batbuilder's LP640 called "No Mercie"
« Reply #334 on: June 03, 2012, 05:46:23 PM »
Here is a closer view of the hole that needed to be patched for the gas shock shaft

batbuilder

« Reply #333 on: June 03, 2012, 05:43:39 PM »
Here is a closer view of the cutting required to drop the inner panel piece

batbuilder

« Reply #332 on: June 03, 2012, 05:42:19 PM »
All this re curving of the door panels stems from the fact that the door panels are made in seperate molds. It they were made with the body the alignment would be perfect but then the inner sills would have to be installed. Makes sense that the window frame would be farther away from the body when you consider that the molds will slowly flatten out without someone rechecking the measurements. But who has time for that? Its common and not unusual.

batbuilder

« Reply #331 on: June 03, 2012, 05:37:45 PM »
Here is the front inner panel of the door being punished for sticking out too far....

batbuilder

« Reply #330 on: June 03, 2012, 05:30:16 PM »
The rear bottom corner was tilted upwards too and needed to be moved downward. The paint sticks screwed in from the top and bottom help to stabilize the cut pieces just enough to fiberglass.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:33:05 PM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #329 on: June 03, 2012, 05:25:02 PM »
Here is where the cutter of fiberglass went crazy. Thats kind of a big hole for a little shaft. Whoa that sounds bad. But really what happened here. So the tape is to act as a guide and a backing for the new fiberglass. The hinge is OK to fiberglass in but I have to admit I didn't go heavy here just incase I have to cut it out for some reason. Where the paintstick is the fiberglass needed to be cut to allow the bottom to tilt back down as it was tilting up. Paintsticks are screwed in to hold it in place. The sticks are free and after we are done we can still use them to stir fiberglass resin. I'm being green. Its funny cause when I went to Walmart I got a Gatorade and 20 stir sticks. Their free!!!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:36:19 PM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #328 on: June 03, 2012, 05:23:38 PM »
The missing latch mounting area is outined to know where it generally is so that I can fiberglass further than the black marker lines. Slightly larger is a good thing. Too short is a bad thing. Like all things in life...

batbuilder

« Reply #327 on: June 03, 2012, 05:20:35 PM »
Here is where you may want to have children and sensitive stomachs turn away from the computer. These are a series of slices intended to motivate the inner door skin to move closer to the body. The tape is where the hole for the latching mechanism needs to be fill. And its big. So double layer of fiberglass matting here overlapped heavy to the inner door.

batbuilder

« Reply #326 on: June 03, 2012, 05:15:01 PM »
The is a huge Grand Canyon gap between the front of the door and the fender but that will be fairly easy to extend like Jett did.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:16:49 PM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #325 on: June 03, 2012, 05:08:26 PM »
Here is the point where the door meets the windshield post. I feel there should be a piece of weatherstripping there to isolate the cabin from the outside. My body has no such tab here. My thought is to create a tab along this windshield post so that weather stripping can go all the way around. Now my piece of weather stripping I got from Rob only goes from the top of the windshield to the upper corner of the door. Counterclockwise. Supposedly off a lincoln town car? But it still appears to be too short to me. But hey that was given to me for free. You do definitely need it to know where to set the interior door skin.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:14:13 PM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #324 on: June 03, 2012, 05:07:11 PM »
Here is how its suppose to look( without the guy pressing the corner down) Now it was suggested to me to just use a piece of metal to pull it down. I personnally think its better to relieve the fiberglass to where you want it. Fiberglass has a memory of where it wants to stay shaped. I think temperature and vibration will play together to help the door pull its self away from the body again...

batbuilder

« Reply #323 on: June 03, 2012, 04:59:46 PM »
So here is the door latch cut from the door. You can see we haven't flush the door skin to the outside of the body yet. Thats how far that fricken door skin sets out. Oh well time to start relieving the fiberglass to refiberglass it closer. Its a lot of cutting you may want to turn away if you have a sensitive stomach...lol
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:02:19 PM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #322 on: June 03, 2012, 04:51:53 PM »
Initially tried to center the door but found that as soon as we lifted the door the front corner was close to the fender. So we moved the door as far back as we can and will add fiberglass on the front of the door skin. Oh you can see the framing on the seat in the car that came out nice with the solid tubing and the strap steel where the lambo embossing usually goes. Hey does anyone have any ideas on how to emboss that lambo logo for the seat?....dave
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 04:58:02 PM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #321 on: June 03, 2012, 04:49:10 PM »
The grill looked too nice to cut up but thats the plan. has anyone tried to use a similar grill for the front grills? I saw a honeycomb grill on a newer Dodge ram truck. Wonder if that would work for me? Got a pair of rear grills on ebay that are being shipped but was hoping to use them to fabricate a set of rear grill.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 04:53:26 PM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #320 on: June 03, 2012, 04:48:17 PM »
Here is a shot of the Batwing hinge assembly, Lining up the rear part of the door and the charger grill I got for the side intake.