Author Topic: batbuilder's LP640 called "No Mercie"  (Read 128739 times)

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
Re: batbuilder's LP640 called "No Mercie"
« Reply #694 on: February 26, 2014, 09:27:52 AM »
Dave thank you very much for the explanation, I would have thought that the bondo would stick to the fiberglass.  Do you not have that problem?
Pedro

batbuilder

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Liked: 58
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #693 on: February 25, 2014, 11:36:45 PM »
Hey autopro, the technique I use is called tabbing using bondo. The fiberglass panels are beveled to allow the edges to get very close. Accuracy here will save a ton of time in sanding. I use orange tape to hold the edges together. I then use and angle finder to duplicate the angle of the right hand side panels. I position then tab. The goal is to press the bondo down on the first panel and pull up and over like a bridge to the other side. I do this to avoid driving the bondo into the two pieces of panels. I have to let the bondo thoroughly dry because it can easily lose position. I flip the pieces over and pull the tape. Light acetone then fiberglass the panels together. I can't express how much I really enjoy this process but I realize it's because it's a hobby and not my main job.my personal goal is just to get better and better as good as I can get. Just love it! Thanks for the questions and your interest in the process.dave
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 11:49:37 PM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #692 on: February 25, 2014, 11:18:03 PM »
Hey digibeam, my process was to autocad a 2/3rds scale of the Dark Knight Tumbler through photos then generated paper patterns. I take the paper patterns and create a cardboard model. Then I cut the fiberglass panel and use pics to duplicate the angles and position of the panels. I use a technique called tabbing with bondo to temporarily hold the panels in position. Then I flip the individual panels over a fiberglass using a 3/4 ounce mat in case I need to adjust them. I then create a frame holding the panels in position. I try to triangulate the square tubing as best I can for strength. Once this lightweight frame is done its so much easier to see where I can improve the heavier gauge chassis. The panels will be sanded, primered then sharpen up the edges then painted a semigloss black. I will then wax and create molds out of the finished painted panels. The frame and mock up panels will go to a friend. The chassis and pulled fiberglass pieces will help me build my 2/3rds finish vehicle. That's how I built the Tribute Rumbler. I'm trying to build a smaller but more accurate replica at about the go cart size. Haha bet your happy you asked. Thanks for the questions I appreciate the interest.dave

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #691 on: February 25, 2014, 05:50:26 PM »
Can you show how you bond them together?  What are you using to hold them together in your first picture?

Glad to have you back Dave!
Pedro

Digibeam

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #690 on: February 25, 2014, 01:23:33 PM »
so this has been covered with flat fiberglass panels cut to shape?  or do you make the panels first?

batbuilder

« Reply #689 on: February 25, 2014, 01:28:42 AM »
Thanks Chris I really appreciate the welcome back. I hope you guys don't mind a few pics over the next few weeks as I finish up the miniT. I need to finish this before I can get back on the Lambos. I was able to buy and mount the rear Lambo tires on the new rims I got. I ordered another set for the black rims. Still looking for Murcie grills and one last set of taillights for a roadster.. It could be smoked murcie taillights too.
Heres a pic of the panels I assembled yesterday. I have tomorrow off to push forward a little bit more. Thanks for looking dave

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #688 on: February 23, 2014, 05:05:19 AM »
Good to see you back with us Dave.  The mini tumbler project is looking really good.  ::thumbup

Chris

batbuilder

« Reply #687 on: February 23, 2014, 01:14:54 AM »
Spent a good 14 hours fiberglassing panels for my miniT 2/3 scale tumbler replica. Though Id share it as this is the project I need to complete to get to my No Murcie builds. Got into a promise for a good friend building this for his kids charity events so I will build one for myself . I plan to make some molds of the body and clean up the panel frames. I don't want to call it a chassis since it will be very light weight. This one will fit on his existing go cart/ dunebuggy. I will build a thicker steel one then power it by a quad runner engine. So this one for my buddy and a second one for me.
Thanks for the likes. Thanks for letting me share...dave

batbuilder

« Reply #686 on: February 18, 2014, 01:17:10 AM »
Well Im back!!! Thanks for not taking my build log down lol. Finally done with all the distractions of building the Batpods and very close to trailering one of the lambo chassis back to my home garage to move forward. Im currently building a 2/3rds scale Tumbler "miniT" for a buddy so working on the chassis of the "No Mercie" will give me a welcome distraction....Dave ::headbang

batbuilder

« Reply #685 on: June 06, 2013, 09:06:59 PM »
Thanks am33r and Chris, yeah we even had a tv crew out at the shop on the Big Kahuna bike and we had the lambo bodies and chassis out there. Couple guys called about having us build a lambo I tried to tell them I'm just trying to find time to finish ours. I'm on my iPad and iPhone so much but all my pics are on my laptop at home. I only have 50 days left to finish the bikes. But some of theses good deals coming on the site are distracting me in a good way. I'll be back!!!! Dave

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #684 on: June 06, 2013, 06:44:45 PM »
Glad to hear that you are still with us brother.   ::thumbup

Chris

am33r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 37
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
  • YOLO
« Reply #683 on: June 06, 2013, 06:35:59 PM »
the pics... just wow!!!  ::rocker

batbuilder

« Reply #682 on: June 06, 2013, 04:48:21 PM »
Thanks Dustin, yeah is been a lot if fun putting the Batpod replicas together . I just dropped off parts to be powdercoated and an axle shaft that just had the splines machined on. All of this is preparing me for the lambos soon I hope. Thanks dave

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #681 on: June 06, 2013, 08:21:14 AM »
Good to hare you haven't forgot about us! Cant wait to see you back on the cars  ::beers

Dustin

batbuilder

« Reply #680 on: June 06, 2013, 02:57:55 AM »
I know a few of you probably thought I croaked! Lol....Life has gone from busy to stupid busy. The economy has really kicked up in northern California and we have exceeded all of last years volume already in the swimming pool sales. Been working on the Batpod replica and am 97% done on the mock up. We have the power plants for the next two functional bikes and one bike is getting very close to test driving. We are committed to Sturgis in 52 days and most of my efforts are on the bikes or designing pools. Have made some purchases in one black and two silver sets of replica murcielago rims. Won a set of smoked taillights on eBay and still looking for a roadster set.
Currently looking for two sets of grills. The goal has been to finish the three bikes and back onto the lambos. I see future "opportunities" messing that up but that's the plan. I say that and then we ended up getting a killer deal on a fourth bike's power plant today, trying to establish a fabrication business this winter hoping that building clients cars/bikes will pull in even more talented businesses to move our projects forward. I've appreciate all of the off forum conversations with members and hope to continue that.
On a sad note I have still not received my reventon body I paid Rob/Joe for. I did get a call a couple of weeks ago from rob offering to shift my monies from the Revention to a Aventador. I said sure, whatever. At this point a ford tarus would do. As I have mentioned to some newbies who have asked my opinion. I obviously cannot recommend doing business with Rob. Thanks to many of you for not saying I told you so. Lol.
It still feels comfortable coming and reading all your progress and I hope I will be back on my lambo projects sooner rather than later..... Thanks Dave....mahalo
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 03:02:41 AM by batbuilder »