Author Topic: batbuilder's LP640 called "No Mercie"  (Read 127210 times)

batbuilder

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Liked: 58
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: batbuilder's LP640 called "No Mercie"
« Reply #724 on: April 25, 2014, 12:11:47 AM »
Yes Autopro, after being screwed over on my reventon body I've gotten a little cynical about these long distance big purchases. But I can tell you I did give my visa information to a shipper and the ship date is scheduled for next Wednesday. Now this will be a partial small shipment but it is said to be molds that John is done with. I've made so many gas caps and side scoops I could make a few windchimes. But I will maintain hope that all will end well. I have another kit car and motorcycle kit I am buying long distance but I have been hesitant to pull the trigger until I get some satisfaction from Watson. Its not fair to my new seller but it human nature to be cautious when you've been stung once.

Onewickedsvt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #723 on: April 25, 2014, 12:04:13 AM »
Allegedly he told me at around 3 pm pacific time(I'm on vacation) that he got a few big parts ready and he will be getting the rest together and box it up for shipping.

I'm not going to hold my breathe as I have a plan B if he falls through and it won't be pretty, legally speaking.

Attorneys have been spoken with in the state of Georgia. A phone call and a notarized letter is all it will take.

batbuilder

« Reply #722 on: April 25, 2014, 12:02:58 AM »
Yes Big Pines and Rawbuilder I have actually had a chance to see that process done. I think its the best but then again we are talking kit car bodies. I think the process has to be somewhat simple and efficient to keep the prices within the realm of the average Joe. Talking about myself. I do like the wet layup for the carbon fiber and also using vinylester for my cars but I would probably produce additional pieces in random mat and polyester resin which is fine for what we do. In my humble opinion.
I have recently had a chance to tour a kit car manufacturer, aerospace manufacturer and Viking Pools manufacture plant north of Sacramento. All were so different and yet so much alike. The aerospace manufacture was producing wind turbine generator blades. Just incredible work.

Digibeam

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #721 on: April 24, 2014, 11:23:38 PM »
Bump

Just wondering the progress of Mr Watson on the completion of parts and the transfer of moulds to the Wild West..

RawBuilder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #720 on: April 10, 2014, 10:56:33 AM »
The carbon fiber infusion process is definitely the best way.

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #719 on: April 10, 2014, 09:21:37 AM »
Sounds like you are having fun Dave. Vacuum bagging is good but vacuum INFUSION is even better. Parts will be lighter and stronger using the technique. Have you looked into vacuum infusion?
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

batbuilder

« Reply #718 on: April 09, 2014, 11:00:43 PM »
Well I've been having a blast experimenting with carbon fiber, vinylester and spraying my tooling gel coat. All great improvements. Had talked to John yesterday and I was interested in whether he is taking advantage of this extra time and good weather to make good on his obligations and he said he was working very hard to get those parts made. I also asked for another shipment of some of the molds to keep me busy and he promised more would be shipped this week. In going through some of my previous acquisitions I came across some nice headlight buckets and housings that I am currently molding. I'm excited about the outcome and the possibility if building my two personal bodies using carbon fiber with vinylester resin panels. On my test gas cap the vinylester with fiberglass Matt came in lighter than the carbon fiber with polyester resin by 1/2 ounce. In considering it with John it has more to do with the ease at which vinylester flows verses polyester.. The part is extremely strong and lightweight. I'm doing a comparison if all three gas caps in an oven to check out their long term durability . I do want to move toward vaccume wrapping the parts to be able to draw out excess resin. It's been interesting experimenting and improving my techniques. With John guidance I've been able to push my envelope of understanding with johns years of experience. I don't always agree with John but the different angle he offers is inspiring. Thanks for listening Dave

BigPines

« Reply #717 on: April 04, 2014, 12:47:47 PM »
I thought you just make the gelcoat by adding pigment to it?
Gelcoat is thicker so it sticks to vertical surfaces better than regular resin. I have read that you can make your own gelcoat by adding thickeners like cabosil or others but I really don't want to go down that road. I use polyester tooling gelcoat for my molds and I could use that on my parts too but it is quite a bit more expensive than regular polyester gelcoat.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:51:23 PM by BigPines »

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #716 on: April 04, 2014, 10:54:59 AM »
I thought you just make the gelcoat by adding pigment to it?

BigPines

« Reply #715 on: April 04, 2014, 09:48:52 AM »
Yes, although I've never used it, my understanding is vinylester resin is superior in every way but cost. It has superior properties of stiffness and heat tolerance. Vinylester gelcoat actually exists too but it is tough to find a place that sells it. I don't personally use vinylester because my composite supplier said most of the time it is overkill for automotive panels and I don't think people will want to pay a premium for it. If I thought people would pay for it, I would use it in a heartbeat.

I like that you are starting to use carbon fiber. It looks like you are just using a standard wet layup process. I suggest you look into vacuum infusion process. Your cloth to resin ratio will be better which will make your parts lighter, stronger and the surface quality of your parts will be higher. You will need a thinned down infusion resin and larger flanges to accommodate the vacuum bag seal. I plan to make carbon fiber body panels for my car and this is the route I am going.

I respect that you are looking to improve on Watson's parts because they were generally considered the highest quality you could get. I also respect that you want to keep an inventory. I agree with Tallon that it isn't unreasonable to build a part after it has been ordered but I prefer not to roll that way either. I am watching your progress with interest.

Mike
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 10:41:53 AM by BigPines »

batbuilder

« Reply #714 on: April 04, 2014, 01:31:19 AM »
As of this moment I'd like to point out I have received artwork for the decals, but my intention is to take it to some of my printers and get some quotes to produce a few.  I actually just wanted two sets for my personal needs but I appreciate Chris's confidence in asking me to run with this. I think...lol
So today I finally made it to the big times in terms of fiberglass suppliers. I went to Sacramento to start working with a large scale distributor. Since I'm in the swimming pool business they always think its fiberglass pools but we generally build gunite pools. Bought some tooling gel coat and vinylester. I've been dying to work with vinylester being the big brother to polyester resins. It beats polyester in almost every category except cost. My understanding on the LP-640 OEM panels is that they are carbon fiber using epoxy resins. Considered the best. Most all kit builders use polyester resin which is at the low scale. Issues typically arise concerning air bubbles trapped below the surface and strength issues one the panels are installed on a car. Watson had used polyester and as I had talked to him he seemed to be very much in favor of the vinylester being superior but that the polyester was fine. So I guess I will duplicate my parts and see what I see. I'm starting to bend my thoughts to producing some body panels once the molds are delivered. There seems to be interest in getting some highly detailed and quality parts. My timetable is definitely after the summer which is the busiest part of the  construction season. I would like to create some inventory so people don't wait for months for parts. Its kind of a ridiculous way to build only after they are ordered. We have the man power, warehouse space and monetary commitment but it will start out very slow. So if there is some interest out there please PM me directly. And if there is some suggestions or ideas on different ways to go vinylester versus polyester, random mat fiberglass versus carbon fiber core. Oh another point is I understand Watson would do a minimum trim and the pieces are yours to finish. I really feel I can put the parts together. So my thought is to get pieces assembled so there's less from a fiberglassing standpoint to do. Thanks for looking...Dave
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:32:22 PM by No Bull »

batbuilder

« Reply #713 on: March 30, 2014, 02:45:27 PM »
I was hoping to get some fiberglass done on the second pulls which will be solid fiberglass matt very similar to how Watson does it. I want the different pieces to be able to compare them side by side in terms of strength and weight.
in the first pic you can see some clay that was put in the original piece. I will sand that out and repull a mold theres no reason for everyone to have top keep sanding the same problem area
2nd pic is a ridgeback turtle shell mold. I have been making these for years to help improve my skills.
Fourth pic is a piece I pulled of a Hawaiian sea turtle shell. its pretty big Thanks for looking...dave
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:52:52 PM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #712 on: March 30, 2014, 02:27:43 PM »
Wow what a difference a day makes. pics are loading fine one at a time
first pic is the edges are so sharp.
second pic is the gas cap pulled theres a certain direction it has to come out at and it did easily
third pic of the bottom piece that goes on the original cars. I made it separately and will bond it to the main piece
fourth pic is the inside of the side intake. Typically not made for kit builders but it was pretty easy to do and really gives it a finished look.
fifth pic is the finish edge of the mold. There's a 3/4 ounce of fiberglass matt over the carbon fiber so its pretty easy to see its carbon fiber even though this will be a painted piece.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:41:15 PM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #711 on: March 30, 2014, 02:17:13 PM »
Been having some problems uploading my pics. I'm at an Embassy Suite in Monterey waiting for my sister. So it could be the Hilton Honors internet connection
Oh good heres the side intake being done in carbon fiber. Theres two pieces Watson doesn't do for kit builders so of course I must do them.
second pic is the gas cap done in carbon fiber.
third pic are two turtle shell molds. I make the turtle shells and sell them using 100% pf the proceeds going to the Ohau sea turtle rescue
fourth pic is the top and bottom pieces pulled from the Watson molds. The quality of the molds is excellent and so clean I feel I can pull some of the future pieces with release wax only.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:26:20 PM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #710 on: March 30, 2014, 02:13:24 PM »
Well I've already paid for the molds. I think the money and the extra time will help Watson to complete the pieces. I was not aware that he owed anyone parts at the time I bought the molds and especially some Cloneys. After I found out I called John and offered him extra time to deliver pieces he owed and encourage him to do the right thing. There's either going to be two outcomes he will either deliver or not. Both are out of our control. After I receive the molds I will fly out and pick up the lambo chassis. I already have shipping and delivery arrangements to my chassis fabricator taken care of.
I appreciate all the kind words of support. Thanks again I'm kinda done with this discussion....Dave
PS tusabe you are more than welcome to contact me and maybe we can work out a meeting . I will point out I'm super busy with my construction business until the summer is over.