Author Topic: batbuilder's LP640 called "No Mercie"  (Read 128846 times)

batbuilder

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Liked: 58
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: batbuilder's LP640 called "No Mercie"
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2012, 11:29:01 PM »
Here's the windshield frame. I like the front pillar welded into the top frame and then the roof tubing welded into the top windshield frame.

batbuilder

« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2012, 11:16:37 PM »
Here's an inside shot of what I'm talking about. We had to trim out alot of that indentation between the windshield and the roof.  I was told this indentation was where the roadster windshield is cut. Don't know what to think about that.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:23:01 PM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2012, 11:04:32 PM »
Here is the pillars being attached to the front bar. I should point out the first try did not work as planned so we had to backtrack and get those downsized bars further under the fiberglass windshield mounts. We were thrown off because the sides of the windshield mounts were trimmed differently. Also the passender pillar is lower than the driver's side. Just a mold issue.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:15:40 PM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2012, 11:03:35 PM »
I did opt to drop the demension of the tubing to 1" at the windshield pillars. And frame out the windshield top bar with 1 1/4 . Both pillars drop into these steel elbows so they can flush mount to the chassis. Then the corners will be reinforced with 1/4 plate. This pillar is just laying on the dash at this point

batbuilder

« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2012, 10:58:35 PM »
I was told and have been told don't worry about a roll cage. Not only on this project but on others I have done. This to me is the MOST critical part. We will tack weld the roll cage together then pull the body and do some deep penatration welding. Obviously I dont want it to be out of place but I'd rather have a little bulkiness than lack the safety. Triangulation is the key here. Another biggie is side protection. There will be some backing to prevent the doors from collapsing during a side impact.

batbuilder

« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2012, 10:51:41 PM »
Here's a peek at the roll cage I am installing in the coupe. This is 1 1/4 tubing that goes from one square tubing side to the other.

batbuilder

« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2012, 10:48:15 PM »
Hey JB1 I appreciate you checking out my build. On forums there seems to be two ways to post. I like to share everything I'm learning through this process. I personnal feel if someone gets an idea or inspiration fron some of my info it doesn't diminish my build. It makes us all better. I am learning so much just being on this board. Thanks again for looking...dave

batbuilder

« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2012, 10:43:14 PM »
Hey Tallon, I think a good way to build your own sides would be to use a piece of foam board to create the L shape. Then cut a piece of PVC pipe to simulate the indentation. Covering the inside with green masking tape. Creating a tape and foam board mold. When you lay the fiberglass in there it will be the finish piece. The tape will help you release your piece and the fiberglass resin will be easy to sand smooth. That's just my humble suggestion. Thanks for looking I appreciate your input...dave

batbuilder

« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2012, 10:34:41 PM »
hey No Bull, no the skid plate is attached to the chassis through tubing. Two of the tubing is attached to the original frame and two are attached to the extension tubes helping to tie those two together. Two rubber rollers will be directly behind the skid plate and below them. The top of the skid piece becomes another attachment point for the body. If I look off the two front tires I could slide on this skid plate. The plate is such an intergral part of the chassis you can even use it to jack up the car. I incorporated two small receiver tubes below the skid plate and will build a detachable tow bar especially for the hieght of my truck's ball hitch. There will be wiring stubbed to the front that will make it so I can hook up my brake and turn signal on the actual car. I had to tow my Testarossa a couple of times and had to listen to the tow truck driver whine about the hieght of the car. This is going to be a fun car....

jb1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2012, 09:55:54 PM »
thanks for sharing your  build thread with us..   I don't post a lot  but  have been and will continue to follow your progress,,,   looking forward to more updates.

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2012, 09:18:20 PM »
I think the batwing sides look good, I wish my kit came with them. I tried making my own oem style but it turned out horrible.

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2012, 07:53:03 PM »
The front skid plate is a really good idea I hadn't thought about but I'm going to incorporate in my build now.  I'm using two rubber wheels that are tied to the front frame and tucked up under the nose but the skid plate would be some great extra insurance and something to scuff up and hear before you got into the underside of the glass.  Are you going to add any foam between the plate and the fiberglass to give it a little flex or are you bolting the two directly together?

Chris

batbuilder

« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2012, 07:36:12 PM »
here is a picture of the inside ready for fiberglass
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:37:48 PM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #66 on: May 13, 2012, 07:31:59 PM »
Here is that batwing that was a little short so I attached it to the batwing panel trying to line things up. Used some foam board for the outside of the batwing edge. Then layed some fiberglass to the inside.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:35:12 PM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #65 on: May 13, 2012, 07:05:24 PM »
Thanks Chris i didn't want to come across poorly. I know I will enjoy looking through this build when I'm finished and see what I was thinking at the time. At this point I feel like I dont know what I dont know. Had some members already emailing me giving me some good suggestions. Here we are getting the skid plate ready to be attached. I had another kitcar a few years ago and was running into  those sloped entryways. Too many people behind me and too sloped to move forward. I have a car now with an airbag system on the front but its a lot of componenets to clear a driveway. I want to build the skid plate with two rollers under it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:13:19 PM by batbuilder »