Author Topic: batbuilder's LP640 called "No Mercie"  (Read 128829 times)

batbuilder

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Liked: 58
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: batbuilder's LP640 called "No Mercie"
« Reply #154 on: May 19, 2012, 02:31:19 AM »
My buddy uses this race shop in our hometown. We took the engine down to the shop and found out we had two small cracks in the head. Was told where the crack occur is common in the 3800. The difference is for two new improved aftermarkets heads. They say that this engine was not balanced very well at factory specs so part of the cost is in the balancing of the engine. There will be a new cam that is set up for higher low end torque. 0-60 mph New rebuild kit for the 3800 is like $800. This will have new pistons, timing chain, basically all new except the block.
 I called two wholesalers for a 3800 engine. Both places had engines in the 100,000 range that were $1600 -$1800 including the computers. Parts Planet has a 3800 Supercharger engine with 180,000 for $2200 in Sacramento. Never found a deal like $400 for a 3800 with 16,000 miles. Even the engine  I bought was $1000 with computer from a guy that had bought the engine back in 2005. I felt that was a great deal. I like to post everything I can about my build including pricing. I feel the race shop that is rebuilding my engine is fair and honest with me. I could actually get my engine rebuilt by another engine shop for $1800 with original specs. But this engine should hover around 400 Hp when we are done. I will actually dyno the car when I'm done. I do want to post the build sheet provided by the speed shop. I still have to rebuild the supercharger so your probably going to have some more to say about that. There's a shop out of state that specializes in these Eaton Series II superchargers.

jb1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #153 on: May 19, 2012, 01:40:01 AM »
Yeah see the $3000 is just too much for me too. I seen that instrument face where you adapt your Fiero guages. My problem is the I have a 3800 Grand Prix guage set. Its very similar to the Murcielago instrument housing. I have wondered if I can adapt that face to the Lambo. Of course my Tranny is still Fiero so speedometer issues. But I am a long ways from worring about that now.
OK today we made a commitment to rebuild those 3800 engines. The first engine will be $4000 because both heads need to be replaced. The second engine will be $3500 because heads can be redone. Should take 3 weeks to complete the engines. The cam is going to be new. I'll get the build sheets and share. Everything sounded good at the shop. Lol Need to call another shop about rebuilding those superchargers. Heard there was a company that is suppose to be really good.
   4k???   to rebuild a 3800?  and  what is the $500  differance??   I can pick up used 3800- heads for  $40ea all day... I bought  my  99 3800sc with 16k miles  for $400, that has  been 8-9 years ago.... still on engine stand lol

batbuilder

« Reply #152 on: May 19, 2012, 01:01:30 AM »
Last picture thanks for looking hope we all move forward on our projects this weekend....dave

batbuilder

« Reply #151 on: May 19, 2012, 12:37:17 AM »
I like to joke a lot but overall I am happy with my kit from Rob. There's always a ton of work in these kits. That's why its so easy to give up. I don't blame the guys for quiting its just very hard to keep that level of commitment up for months and years. Plus the financial commitment. With the advent of forums where information can be shared I think more people will be successful in completing their projects.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:50:05 AM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #150 on: May 19, 2012, 12:14:52 AM »
The console. What can I say about the console....wow....does anyone have a console for sale? Just kidding I'll play with this one for awhile. I notice that my kit does not have the piece the seat belts attach to. Yeah I noticed that. Oh you know what was weird I could see the tape that was used on the original upholstery before they pulled the mold. Yeah just strips of tape. That's special....Thought about leaving it so my uphostery would look like tape upholstery but we are sanding it out.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:24:08 AM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2012, 12:09:31 AM »
Here's a view showing the outside and inside door panels. I've looked at the interior door panels and I'm thinking how is this goiing to work. I'm going to have to get my motivation and chi up before I attack this project. At this point it seems insurmountable. How do you eat an elephant....One bite at a time. I got two big elephants to eat.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:13:36 AM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2012, 12:07:50 AM »
Here's a view if you can imagine looking through the car body panels and even the engine cover is looking good. At least I have it on the right side of the dash. Hey no one has commented on my clown air intake hoses. Don't know what the hell I was thinking. But you know whats weird? I think it looks cool. Stop rolling your eyes. Lol

batbuilder

« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2012, 11:57:41 PM »
Now that's not being very positive...Lol Unfortunately I have to work with what I have. Its funny because the pieces don't even fit together on the garage floor. What chance do they have in the car. Lol Luckily I'm not making an exact replica. Ok not even close. Alright maybe its going to look like a Nissan replica. I'll do the best I can do and life will go on...These interior pieces are cracking me up I'm constantly thinking " what the hell?" Glad no one has pointed out hey dave you got that piece upside down. I can tell you one thing I am having the time of my life playing with these parts!!!!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:01:50 AM by batbuilder »

Murci-Me

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2012, 11:44:51 PM »
Remember, fitting it all together on your garage floor doesn't mean it will fit in your car the same way. You cant fit your interior until your doors are hung.
Those look like OEM splashed door cards. If they are, they will never fit on your G28 series door without very heavy modifications, and at best will still not fit the door properly.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:48:12 PM by Murci-Me »

batbuilder

« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2012, 11:42:27 PM »
Here's another shot of the passenger side. I think I have come up with an idea on connecting everything before the upholstery. I seen it done on another forum. Maybe it will work here. Talked to my favorite guy over at Tap plastic. Was talking to him about wrapping parts with carbon fiber rather than remaking the piece in carbon fiber. There's also another process where they dip the piece in a liquid filled tub with a carbon fiber membrane floating on the top. The membrane attaches to the piece and whalla it looks like carbon fiber. I'm going to take a piece over there to test it out. I'm concerned about durability and being ultraviolet non-sensitive. I know they use it to camoflauge rifle stocks. Of course cost will be a big factor.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:52:19 PM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2012, 11:40:10 PM »
Oh yeah the tape is not my attachment solution. Although I love the green tape. The parts match up pretty good after the trimming but the piece that goes up against the dash was not in the kit. But I think I can make another one using the end piece from the dash. Yeah did not get the instument cluster lowered yet. I'm going to spend a couple quiet hours fiberglassing that this weekend. Need to focus

batbuilder

« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2012, 11:34:10 PM »
Spent a couple days sanding and fitting the interior. Don't know if I mentioned this but I do need some parts!!!!. Lol extra rear tailights , rims, shifter plate, side markers, grills OK basically everything. Email me or PM me.Thats how it fits up against my front dash. I need to figure out the best way to secure all these parts on whenever I get these parts upholstery. Got a couple ideas but I'm open for suggestions
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:36:57 PM by batbuilder »

batbuilder

« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2012, 06:48:56 PM »
Yeah see the $3000 is just too much for me too. I seen that instrument face where you adapt your Fiero guages. My problem is the I have a 3800 Grand Prix guage set. Its very similar to the Murcielago instrument housing. I have wondered if I can adapt that face to the Lambo. Of course my Tranny is still Fiero so speedometer issues. But I am a long ways from worring about that now.
OK today we made a commitment to rebuild those 3800 engines. The first engine will be $4000 because both heads need to be replaced. The second engine will be $3500 because heads can be redone. Should take 3 weeks to complete the engines. The cam is going to be new. I'll get the build sheets and share. Everything sounded good at the shop. Lol Need to call another shop about rebuilding those superchargers. Heard there was a company that is suppose to be really good.

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2012, 06:06:52 PM »
I have to watch my budget closely. But even some things seem overinflated in price. Just supply and demand.

I see the instrument clusters on eBay and other places but they are usually in the $3,000.00 range :o.  Toooo much money!  I did find this company that makes the faces for the gauges, if in the end like you and I don't find one I will also have to make my own.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180546986255?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Pedro

batbuilder

« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2012, 05:35:34 PM »
Yeah Tallon it falls into that category of being too expensive to share. I have to watch my budget closely. But even some things seem overinflated in price. Just supply and demand. Yeah Autopro the instrument panel was not "missing" just not included. I'm sure we can build one that is affordable. I have not really studied the panel much yet but we will figure it out. Hopefully someone will be selling one before we get finished.