Author Topic: Purple People Eater LP670 SV Build!!!  (Read 200246 times)

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
Re: Purple People Eater LP670 SV Build!!!
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »
It looks like you have quite a job ahead of you on that one.  :-\
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 649
  • Member Rating Points: +23/-0
  • Big Gulps, huh? All right! Well, see ya later.
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 02:21:14 PM »
So here it is after I removed it from the car. I ended up snapping off several bolts removing this, they will be a real treat to get out I am sure. I actually had to cut part of the a arms off just so I could allow myself enough room to cut the bolts holding the a arm in place off. I'm planning on disassembling the entire front end, having many of the parts blasted and powder coated, then purchasing the Arraut motorsports sport front suspension and new steering rack!
I met a man with a dollar, we exchanged dollars and we still had a dollar. I met a man with an idea, we exchanged ideas and now we both have two ideas!!!

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 01:53:24 PM »
Any who, here is what I am working on at the moment. The front end on this car appears to be the worst of the worst. Not sure what exactly to do with it, I have looked for other options but it appears that the Held/Arraut route is the one that makes the most sense. If anyone thinks otherwise please let me know!
I met a man with a dollar, we exchanged dollars and we still had a dollar. I met a man with an idea, we exchanged ideas and now we both have two ideas!!!

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 01:24:46 PM »
Completely off topic, but last week was one of my least favorite days of the year. I had to put my first love to bed for the winter (don't tell the wife I said that) Anyway I suppose this gives me more time and cash monies to work on my car. :'(  :'(  :'(

No Bull

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • Liked: 299
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
  • Replication is the sincerest form of flattery
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2013, 02:59:12 PM »
I'm glad that you clarified that you understand there is more to the sound of a Lambo than just a big muffler because this would start hundreds of responses on the science behind the sound that have all been shared before.  :)

I think everyone will agree that certain mufflers will change the sound of any engine and can make a engine sound more exotic (maybe not V12 exotic, but a little more exotic than a factory muffler originally on the donor).  I personally am interested on what a OEM muffler will sound like on a 3800 and if it makes the exhaust notes higher or lower than a flowmaster or motorcycle muffler does (there are videos on YouTube of those).

I think Dustin purchased an OEM muffler from a Gallardo or Murci a while back but I don't recall if he used it on his car and if he did, if he posted anything on how it made his engine note change.

Thanks, for sharing

Chris

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2013, 02:58:19 PM »
I don't think it is a bad idea to try it. Obiously it won't make it sound like a V12 but I would be very interested in the difference it has on the sound. Maybe you could post a YouTube video once you have it installed.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2013, 02:47:57 PM »
I'm excited and feel kinda stupid all at the same time. Once upon a time, before I joined this forum, I had watched elsewhere as several people attempted to replicate the V12 sound with a V6. I ain't no dummie, I knew there was no way I was gonna achieve that sound with just a V6. I searched high and low trying to figure out what it would take to at least give my car that exotic sound. After all a ferrari with a V8 in it puts out a pretty mean tone. But after watching a Youtube video (I believe by Jdinner) I thought I had the answer, OEM Muffler! Makes sense right, I mean I don't expect a miracle or anything but after seeing the shear size of this thing acoustics came to mind and I figured I had myself an answer. Well I looked everywhere online and couldn't find anyone else that had attempted this and figured I'd go forward with my thought. Fast forward to today I received my OEM muffler in the mail and boy are they big! I get on here to gloat about my new purchase and come to find out others have either tried this or just find it comical. I guess the moral to the story is always check here first (LOL!!!) In all honesty though has anyone really had success with either kinda replicating the sound, or the use of an OEM muffler? Either way I'm pretty happy with purchase and can't wait to see what I can do about at least giving my 3800SC a more exotic tone!  ::toothy

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 09:54:46 AM »
Your car will be done by next month at this rate! It's a shame all that stainless will be hidden. How well does it weld to the carbon steel chassis?

:) LOL I wish!!!  :) what I've posted over the past week or two was a collaboration of about three to three and a half months of work with some odd several years of planning on how to go about it. Not seeing the stainless is somewhat of a shame but it's not like I have any intentions of polishing it or anything. The fact that I won't have to worry about rust is the real bonus, plus I got it all from the scrap bin at work, soooo the price was right!  ;) As for the welding wire Robert is exactly right, I am not a welder by any means but as long as you use stainless wire and Stargon they seam to weld together just fine! The fiero steel is more than just a little on the crummy side, and some places are extremely thin! All in all it will be a lot stronger than what I started with.

one of good performance add on is this North* throttle body
  http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/308-Northstar-Throttle-Body-Kit.aspx

Thanks Eddie I'll keep that in mind!!!

PPE, the S/C belt is tight with OEM length ,but when you rev it up over 2500 she'll start to slip and squeak.
OEM belt # 4060663
3.4 pulley # 4060658  by Gatorback  or keep the oem belt and use larger tensioner pulley
 BTW no need to re program ECM, ( I did not need it ,said the guy who re my ECM)

This as well!!!  ::headbang

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2013, 06:50:25 PM »
PPE, the S/C belt is tight with OEM length ,but when you rev it up over 2500 she'll start to slip and squeak.
OEM belt # 4060663
3.4 pulley # 4060658  by Gatorback  or keep the oem belt and use larger tensioner pulley
 BTW no need to re program ECM, ( I did not need it ,said the guy who re my ECM)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 06:54:34 PM by eddie »

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2013, 05:19:32 AM »
one of good performance add on is this North* throttle body
  http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/308-Northstar-Throttle-Body-Kit.aspx

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 06:51:45 PM by eddie »

Robert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 124
  • Member Rating Points: +4/-0
  • Lamborghini's rule!
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 04:16:27 PM »
Your car will be done by next month at this rate! It's a shame all that stainless will be hidden. How well does it weld to the carbon steel chassis?

*Stainless wire would work just fine. You don't want to use mild carbon steel wire to weld stainless. I'm sure there is an alloy mig wire available for welding mild steel to stainless.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 09:43:36 PM by Robert »
Robert, Journeyman experimental mechanic, Journeyman experimental painter.

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 10:05:12 AM »
This is where I am currently in my build! Attempting to wrap a tube chassis around the Fiero donor. I am using stainless (odd sizes at that) mainly because It's what I'm finding in the scrap bin at work!!! Hopefully I can get somewhere by the end of this weekend. One of my next challenges is gonna be to rebuild the front end, which is in some sad shape! I am planning to purchase a Held widetrack Sport front suspension. If there is anyone out there who currently has one that they are willing to part with. Who knows maybe I can save myself a buck or two or a couple hundred.  ;D If anyone has a better alternative I am all ears! I just don't want to have the same regrets I do about the rear, by not purchasing the wide track kit!  ::beers

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 09:40:28 AM »
Got the sending unit finished, little paint, and back in the tank. Ordered some new stainless straps and t nuts from the Fiero store then she will be ready to go back in, whenever that time comes.

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 09:39:07 AM »
New fuel pump back in the sending unit with the new harness!!!