How To - Tips > Engine & Transmission

custom axles?

(1/3) > >>

Jets303:
I did not no. The sleeves were different ID's so they butted right up. The rose welds did help with the center portion though. The Audi one is hollow yes, 1/4'' wall tube. Unless you are making big power, I wouldn't worry much about it. I am estimating being in the 450-500 range with the S6 motor and its holding up fine.

Tallon:
Thank Jets, very nice! So you didn't weld the axles together before sliding the sleeve up? Guess your sleeves are too long to do that. Were your axles also hollow tube to solid? That's what I didn't expect when I went to cut the audi axle.

Jets303:
I spun some out of some blank stock. Super tight tolerances. I had to heat the sleeve and cool the axle to get them to fit. I then did 2 passes on the tig and had Doug's balancing in Denver balance them. One didnt need any but the other he did add material and shave some down. Not entirely sure what he did but I get zero vibration at higher speeds.

Tallon:
Well no wonder the audi axle is larger diameter, it is hollow...  :-\

Tallon:
3/8 wall tubing for the sleeve, because .25 was more expensive  ::scratch this seems like it is too heavy
I pressed a smaller tube in to half the length of the sleeve and now it is snug to the smaller diameter gm axle on that side
3 holes each side for rosette welds

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version