How To - Tips > Engine & Transmission

custom axles?

<< < (3/3)

eddie:
I would ask some welding pro shop about it,
I was recommender to our shop by Jim  Dinner who knows a lot about that , he made a reacher on those mating axles 

Tallon:
Thanks Eddie. We have some powerful migs, we weld railroad track/switch points, I'm not sure what it does to the heat affected zone of the steel, is that the issue? So if the GM shaft is harder, it will be too brittle?

I have heard of axles breaking near the ends of the sleeve instead of at the splice, the HAZ. That's main reason I was going to weld only 45 degree angles hopefully it's better. Then again, I'm not building a race car.

eddie:
finished welded shafts

eddie:
I did my axles GM to mate with Audi  , but watch out Gm shafts are different  steel lot more harder, I took it to a special welding shop to do it. by mig it's not strong on Gm shaft.

Tallon:
Since I am running oem lambo wheels I am trying to solve the problem of mating the axles of the transmission to the c6 hubs (30 spline), which I upgraded from c4 hubs (27 spline) as the c4 corvette did not use a rear cv axle.
So here I have axles for a 5hp19 transmission from an audi A6 and the gm axle.

I've searched around to find the best way to change the length of an axle or mate two different axles together and come to the conclusion that welding them together at a 45 degree angle and then slipping over appropriate sized sleeves, with the ends also cut to 45 should be adequate.
The weld from my understanding would need to go on very hot and cooled very slowly, still possibly making the steel brittle. I don't know if preheating does anything here.
One problem is both axles are different diameter so I need a sleeve with one side machined more than the other and I'm not sure I can do that accurately. Maybe grinding down the larger shaft would be a better idea?

I'm wondering what others have done or would recommend. I know there are places that make custom axles but pricey.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version