Author Topic: Need Help!  (Read 4602 times)

Ccemn1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 22
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: Need Help!
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 08:24:30 PM »
Thanks again guys.
The whole new half shaft was only $69.
In the past on Nissans and Toyotas I found it a lot easier to just swap out half shafts and rebuild or replace CV joints.
It looks like I'm going to have no choice but to swap out the CV joints now if I can't exchange this axle for the correct one.
It was only $39 for the Hub and bearings. I can't believe how cheap this stuff is.
Thanks again guys.

★Murci-Me★

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Liked: 61
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 07:14:24 PM »

Why do you need a new axel shaft, are the old ones cracked or broken? Normally people just replace the CV joint, either on the hub or gearbox (or both). Theres no need to replace the actual axel shaft unless it is damaged somehow.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:18:18 PM by ★Murci-Me★ »

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 07:34:34 AM »
the bump mod has nothing to do with the bearings, it was just a change to the lower control arm.  Having said that, you should have stock fiero components

Ccemn1

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 06:57:53 AM »
Thank you so much guys!
Another question. The driver side (Same side) rear wheel bearings appear to be shot. A lot of slop and making noise.
In the course of looking for rear wheel bearings, I found the whole hub assembly, brand new, for only $39., so I bought it.
Is there a difference between the Anti-Bump Steer hub and OEM?
If so, I guess I could disassemble that and replace the bearings?
Sorry I'm so ignorant of these things, but I've only wrenched motorcycles most of my life.

Simple Man

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 12:28:09 AM »
Take out the shaft assembly.  Take pictures.  Take measurements and talk to:
Arraut Motorsports.  info@arrautmotorsports.com  (616) 893-1433
                                   OR
You can take your "new" Fiero axle shaft to your favorite GM mechanic and have him remove the "long" center shaft out of your "old" axle and replace the "short" shaft in your "new" axle providing that they are the same diameter and spline count.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=front+wheel+drive+axle+shaft+rebuild&qpvt=front+wheel+drive+axle+shaft+rebuild&view=detail&mid=D57BAE123E71050FEBF0D57BAE123E71050FEBF0&&FORM=VDRVRV

If we are talking axles ....I was told about 8 weeks ago that they (arruat) out sources their axle work. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 12:33:05 AM by Simple Man »

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 08:23:30 PM »
Take out the shaft assembly.  Take pictures.  Take measurements and talk to:
Arraut Motorsports.  info@arrautmotorsports.com  (616) 893-1433
                                   OR
You can take your "new" Fiero axle shaft to your favorite GM mechanic and have him remove the "long" center shaft out of your "old" axle and replace the "short" shaft in your "new" axle providing that they are the same diameter and spline count.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=front+wheel+drive+axle+shaft+rebuild&qpvt=front+wheel+drive+axle+shaft+rebuild&view=detail&mid=D57BAE123E71050FEBF0D57BAE123E71050FEBF0&&FORM=VDRVRV

« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 09:22:44 PM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Ccemn1

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 07:48:20 PM »
Does anyone have any idea what half shaft I would use with the Anti-bump steer rear and Fiero 5-speed transmission?

Ccemn1

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 03:14:42 PM »
The original owner of this car (2004), is a forum member and found me on here. This was at one time a first rate job, but has been trashed by the several owners since then. It definitely has the Anti-bump steer package, with longer half shafts. I went to my local junk yard today and found a V-6 Fiero. I was surprised to find it was a four speed, but took Pics of the half shaft and it appears much shorter than mine (See Pics).
Now my question is, What half shaft do I replace this with? I feel like a real idiot, because I already ordered a stock half shaft for an '86 Fiero, V-6 five speed!
First two Pics are the junk yard car, second two are mine.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 12:20:37 PM »
The "bump steer" is eliminated by the bracket attaching the tie rod arm to the lower bar.  I circled the bracket in my picture above.  The adjustable rod is for toe-in/toe-out setting.   ::thumbup
Retired

76mx

• Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 10:13:10 AM »
That makes sense now. I see where the linkage in MM's picture goes to the chassis and creates two different arcs, where the linkage in 01's picture ties back to the a-arm, making only one arc. Thank you, I learned something today. 

★Murci-Me★

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 09:09:46 PM »
Because although there is no "steering linkage" in the rear, there is a linkage attached to the spindle that does not share the same pivot point of the lower control arm. That linkage is designed to keep the spindle aligned forward, mounted to the steering arm on the spindle ("toe adjustment" on diagram). The same "bump steer" that occurs on the front of a car due to the steering linkage like you mention also happens on the rear of Fieros for the same reason.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:25:13 PM by ★Murci-Me★ »

76mx

• Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 08:34:59 PM »
I am not familiar with Fiero suspension and curious about the bump steer upgrade. When the a-arms travel in a different arc than the steering linkage, that causes very slight toe in and/or out as the suspension travels up and down, which is bump steer. Since there is no steering linkage on the rear, no linkage traveling in a different arc, seems to me that there should be no bump steer in the first place, let alone a need for a new suspension to correct it. What am I missing here?

★Murci-Me★

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 07:30:09 PM »
I'm gonna bet its stock Fiero suspension. Very few people spend the extra money on these builds for widetrack suspension. Judging from the pictures of under the front hood, it looks like this was a shoestring budget build.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:32:47 PM by ★Murci-Me★ »

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 01:34:22 PM »
Definitely has to be a "anti-bump steer" rear upgrade.  Look at the inset pic of a Arraut rear suspension to see if you have this modification done to your car.  This kit comes with a "wide track" built into it so your car might not have a adapter spacer at the wheel lug nuts.  If you DO have this rear suspension kit, then longer axle shafts will be required.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:14:42 PM by 01Lambiero »
Retired

★Murci-Me★

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 07:24:03 PM »
Most ALL the stock parts are redily available from your local auto part stores (Pep Boys, Kragan, O'Reily, etc). Before you get all distressed about finding parts, why don't you just go into the auto part store FIRST, and if they cant help you then consult the forum.
As far as your rear suspension goes, its all available at the auto part store. Bearings, hubs, brakes, axels, half shafts, sensors, shocks, struts, steering arms (the list goes on forever), are ALL available from the auto part stores. All you need to tell them is the year, make and model of the car, engine size and transmission/gearbox type and they can look up EVERYTHING on the car.
Posting pictures of the exterior of the car does absolutely nothing to help identify the suspension type. I will bet if its a "bump stop" rear suspension then its all stock Fiero. Nobody to my knowledge would recreate an aftermarket bump stop suspension for these cars since everybody was trying to get rid of it in the first place, being such a bad design and the inherent problems associated with it.

Also, go buy yourself one of these books.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 07:30:29 PM by ★Murci-Me★ »