Author Topic: Aventador Taillights  (Read 1087 times)

Neils88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: Aventador Taillights
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2023, 09:57:27 AM »
I forgot that cars don't all use driving lights in the US. They've been mandatory on all new cars in Canada since 1989. Not sure why the US never adopted that since its a simple, cheap and effective safety feature. I'm not required to put them on the Aventador since it's built on a 1988 Fiero, but I'll use them since everything in my car now runs off a CANBus, and it's a simple matter of adding a few lines on computer code. I will have to change some wiring to split the chevrons... if I want it to look truly oem.

lambobuilder

• Liked: 211
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
    • Lambobuilder
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2023, 08:31:44 AM »
Thanks. Had not heard about the DRL. I know on the S2000 I used for the Super7, it came from Canada and had DRL. I think I'll pass on trying to make that work on this one.
Lambobuilder, you did a fantastic job of putting it all together! A lot of work, but well worth the effort. I'm really impressed with how close Nick got the components to the oem parts.

Something I just noticed the other day in a video of a real Aventador, for anyone who is interested. While the brake lights activate all three chevrons on each side, the oem driving lights only use the single inner chevron on each side (obviously at reduced intensity). I already wired my lights using all chevrons for brakes and driving lights... have to see how much effort it'll be to rewire them.

Neils88

• Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 05:36:02 PM »
Lambobuilder, you did a fantastic job of putting it all together! A lot of work, but well worth the effort. I'm really impressed with how close Nick got the components to the oem parts.

Something I just noticed the other day in a video of a real Aventador, for anyone who is interested. While the brake lights activate all three chevrons on each side, the oem driving lights only use the single inner chevron on each side (obviously at reduced intensity). I already wired my lights using all chevrons for brakes and driving lights... have to see how much effort it'll be to rewire them.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2023, 05:38:53 PM by Neils88 »

lambobuilder

• Liked: 211
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
    • Lambobuilder
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2023, 09:30:04 AM »
I've assembled one of Nick's taillights. Very happy with product. https://youtu.be/H3ktWpCKkok

nickmkk

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 61
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
  • Cloquet, MN
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2023, 12:22:20 PM »
I've made some updates to the model to include a back panel for enclosing and mounting the leds to.  Also, I added mounting tabs for easier installation.

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 09:02:58 AM »
What material will you print out of?
I print with PETG

Are the red and clear inserts transparent?
yes, all the red, orange, and clear parts are printed with a translucent PETG so you can optionally add lights behind any of those parts to use as turn signals or illuminate the lights any way you want.

Mounting tab locations?
There are no mounting tabs, you'll have to bond tabs on where you choose for mounting.
Edit: the lights now have mounting tabs for ease of installation.

What glue is used to glue the prints together?
I don't glue the pieces together, it would be up to you to decide what adhesive to use and glue the peices together.  Any 2 part epoxy designed for use with plastics works well though. Also I would recommend using plastic weld staples in addition to epoxy. It will hold things in place while the epoxy cures.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 04:08:36 AM by nickmkk »

Jets303

• Liked: 149
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 08:35:54 AM »
A few questions:

What material will you print out of?
Are the red and clear inserts transparent?
Mounting tab locations?
What glue is used to glue the prints together?

Thanks! Interested for sure!

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
Aventador Taillights
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 06:14:58 PM »
As requested, I'm going to be selling these Aventador taillight housings if anyone is interested. $500 for a set plus shipping.  I will also work on making clear plastic lenses if there is enough interest in these.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 08:09:10 PM by nickmkk »