Author Topic: How long, is to long, for wheel spacers on fiero?  (Read 3433 times)

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
Re: How long, is to long, for wheel spacers on fiero?
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 12:22:14 PM »
Whether spacers or wheel offset are used to widen the track, the same problem will exist for the bearings. From my understanding, the wheel must be properly centered over the bearings to avoid them failing prematurely.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 649
  • Member Rating Points: +23/-0
  • Big Gulps, huh? All right! Well, see ya later.
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 11:00:03 PM »
I'll look when I get a chance but they will be extremely spendy!
I met a man with a dollar, we exchanged dollars and we still had a dollar. I met a man with an idea, we exchanged ideas and now we both have two ideas!!!

lamborghinimurci

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 6
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 10:46:22 PM »
I'm not sure of anyone else using these wheels! The 4" isn't something I necessarily recommend, but should work just fine if they are made correctly! My rear suspension isn't all that different from stock just all new parts! The coilovers are a conversion kit you can buy from arraut motorsports for about $250, you can also buy widened a arms from them as well! There are a lot of different things you can do to widen them other than spacers, USMC Butler and Solrac have an option for widening the a arms as well. I'd check out there builds!!!  ::wave

Thanks. Any chance you can point me in the direction of someone who can make the same spacers you have? Thanks :)

bluefiero88

• Paul G / former founding member of D&R replicar.
  • Liked: 15
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
  • Hi fellow car fabricators
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 10:26:47 PM »
as you know every situation is different . I have a good friend with a Diablo roadster kit built on a 88 Fiero. He runs 4" spacers on the front and back because whoever built the car put some regular wheels on it. He has run these for almost 5 years and the car is a daily driver. In fact it is his only car. He had never had a problem till just recently. He broke an axle. He replaced it and 2 weeks later it broke again. after careful inspection we found that the wheel bearing was wore out and with extra stress of the spacers thats why the axle snapped. Put in a new wheel bearing and spacers back on and not a problem since. So it can be done. The right way is to choke up a couple of grand and have a custom off set wheels made. They are hard to find can be expensive. ::scratch
Paul G

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 10:23:01 PM »
I'm not sure of anyone else using these wheels! The 4" isn't something I necessarily recommend, but should work just fine if they are made correctly! My rear suspension isn't all that different from stock just all new parts! The coilovers are a conversion kit you can buy from arraut motorsports for about $250, you can also buy widened a arms from them as well! There are a lot of different things you can do to widen them other than spacers, USMC Butler and Solrac have an option for widening the a arms as well. I'd check out there builds!!!  ::wave
I met a man with a dollar, we exchanged dollars and we still had a dollar. I met a man with an idea, we exchanged ideas and now we both have two ideas!!!

lamborghinimurci

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 09:29:30 PM »
I have similar wheels and have made 4" spacers for the rear! From dimensions I've acquired online it appears 4" is about right for the wheels we have! When my car is finished my first order of buisness will be to replace them with extended a arms, I'm just not in the mood to back peddle at the moment! If they are wheel and hub centric they should work (within reason) for the rears, I would not go over an inch on the front!

Thanks for the info on how long I can go. I did notice that your build has highly modified rear suspension, with coilovers. Does anyone else used these wheels to clear the wide rear Stock  springs? btw, Im on a budget, and cant afford coilovers.  Thanks

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 08:24:42 PM »
I have similar wheels and have made 4" spacers for the rear! From dimensions I've acquired online it appears 4" is about right for the wheels we have! When my car is finished my first order of buisness will be to replace them with extended a arms, I'm just not in the mood to back peddle at the moment! If they are wheel and hub centric they should work (within reason) for the rears, I would not go over an inch on the front!

lamborghinimurci

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 08:03:33 PM »
the wheels

lamborghinimurci

How long, is to long, for wheel spacers on fiero?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 08:02:44 PM »
Hi, Im wanting to put a set of c6 z06 Corvette wheels on my fiero kit car. They are 19X12 in rear. I just recently discovered that the corvette is a super high offset. I wanted to know if anyone knows how long a spacer is needed in the rear, to have the wheels clear the factory strut spings.? I also want to know that if its over 4", will that be dangerous? Also considering having to stack the spacers because Its too long for one. I will probably not be using hub centric, but I will be using ET lug nuts, to center the spacer. Im not worried about how far it stick out, because Im having custom fender flares made depending on that. Thanks  ::wave