Author Topic: lexan for door glass. safe of not?  (Read 3467 times)

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Re: lexan for door glass. safe of not?
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 08:45:22 AM »
Hey, Mike.  You've got me confused.  You're saying that if you are trapped upside down that you're worried about getting out of the car?  and you want to use lexan to speed up your build time so that you can get to the track faster?  Here's my $0.02.  Take a few more minutes in the build putting movable glass in your doors and while you are waiting for the glass to arrive take some performance driving lessons.  ;-)
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Electro_boy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 3
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 02:26:02 AM »
Yes - your salad days would be over...  ;) Does anyone know of a good place to get the curved side and double curved rear quarter windows (those tiny ones) for a countach? I can get the windscreen in NZ, I think... Probably the little back flat one I can just get cut.
If it ain't broken, then why are these electrons all over the floor?

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 282
  • Member Rating Points: +10/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 08:43:11 PM »
I will probably bite the bullet and go with glass. I think I was just having a lazy moment!

Digibeam

• Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 12:15:22 PM »
I think if your car rolls a million times a few bruises are the least of concern...  The exchange of body parts through a small opening is a concern by them but It's more that if the portal is large enough for rescue then to be obstructed by a near unbreakable cover it hinders a timeline that might make a difference.....
Though after the 999,999th roll I am pretty sure the contained tossed salad is best kept where it was made.

Electro_boy

• Liked: 3
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 12:55:02 AM »
 I think that head size thing is probably so that when your head (or limbs and other thin bits) are flying around inside your car as it rolls over a million times, said parts won't exit the building and be bruised, abraded, scratched, ripped off, and or etc.
If it ain't broken, then why are these electrons all over the floor?

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 08:10:07 AM »
Same reason you'd use flat lexan for headlights I guess...
If your talking about looks, there's a lot of things keeping our cars from looking expensive other than windows
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:57:40 AM by Tallon »

bluefiero88

• Paul G / former founding member of D&R replicar.
  • Liked: 15
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
  • Hi fellow car fabricators
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 08:15:09 PM »
Honestly it looks like crap next to glass. If your gonna replicate a super car why even go there. Scratchy plastic i hate it. Just sayin!
Paul G

Thumper

• Liked: 31
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 01:48:55 AM »
I'm using Polycarbonate RM10 for all of my glass.  Used it in racing alot and it holds up rather well.

Digibeam

• Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 10:09:22 PM »
Lamborghini had issues getting the quarter glass for the gallardo dot approved, in order to pass they had to be certain that in no way shape or form a human body part, namely the head could or would be able to pass through the area thereby deeming it not suitable for rescue.
I am thinking I would want more than the head to be a concern but if you can rescue a head through an opening large enough that is otherwise sealed with polycarbonate then it will not pass dot.

bluefiero88

• Paul G / former founding member of D&R replicar.
  • Liked: 15
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
  • Hi fellow car fabricators
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 06:26:50 PM »
I have used lexan on a few of my kit cars and i will say as far as safety goes its probably not as safe as real glass. In a impact the lexan can break loose and shoot like a rubber band. Its better than plexiglass cause plex will shatter into large sharp pieces. I don't think it will pass for inspection if you have one in your state. some states will only let you use DOT approved safety glass. Even though lexan is a cheep and super easy to cut compared to glass you will be left with a scratchy window with a lot of glare. Not to mention the lexan will lift and flex a lot when driving due to wind. I would use it if your just trying to get on the road real quick but for life of the car don't cheep out it kinda sucks. ::toothy
Paul G

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 11:55:08 AM »
Couldn't you just make it so it doesn't require much force to push out the lexan? I figured using lexan as roll-up windows, it could easily be pushed out of the track, being more flexible than glass.
Maybe do a drill scenario and see what happens, then we'll all know :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:59:20 AM by Tallon »

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
  • Liked: 282
  • Member Rating Points: +10/-0
lexan for door glass. safe of not?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 11:20:50 AM »
Hey guys I am thinking about going more track car style on my 670 build. I was thinking about doing fixed lexan with slider vents.  My only concern if I were to get in an accident with lexan door glass you could be easily trapped in the car right? At least real glass will break. I am honestly just thinking of going this route to save on build time and hastle of moving windows. Input appreciated.

Thanks