Author Topic: Reventon build  (Read 39988 times)

lance345

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: Reventon build
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2013, 12:36:45 AM »
I only have one in, but the they are advertised as coming set for a 40mm drop. I think that's almost a 2" drop. Just from comparing one side to the other I'd say this is accurate, but that's just an eyeball. I don't think I'll need all that drop though.

They are fully threaded.

am33r

• Liked: 37
  • YOLO
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2013, 10:46:29 PM »
Awesome job getting those Coilovers bud. That's next on my list - how much does this set lower the MR2 - and how much is the thread distance on the cool over arms for front and rear?
Thanks in advance

lance345

« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2013, 06:32:53 PM »
I got my coilovers today and had time to put one in. I put in a front to show why I was pushed over the edge to make the purchase. In part Lambiero made a really good point that it's really hard to change the suspension after the kit is on. I didn't think about that, and agree 100%, and then add to that the fact we only have mere millimeters between the strut and the tire WITH a 2" spacer on. It had to be done. Obviously doesn't eliminate spacers because my wheelbase is just plain too narrow, but if someone wanted to sacrifice the look of the front wheels to go deep dish (I just don't like that look on front wheels at all) or if they had the skill or money to do all the mods that were discussed earlier in my thread, you COULD eliminate spacers using coilovers. Again, it's just that the coilovers are so much skinnier, and the oversized tires we use on these projects come so close to the stock struts.

Just my thoughts, and I'm glad I pulled the trigger.

lance345

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2013, 06:26:28 PM »
@ am33r - I will be doing a bit of work around there. It's not so much that I care about seeing the donor under the engine cover, it's that the bodykit actually sits too far forward to get it lined up for the wheel wells. So the trunk hinge support is actually 4" inside the engine bay instead of directly on the original trunk hinge wall, and the engine cover hinges will be overhanging about 5" into the passenger compartment. I will be doing something to dress this up, but that's all I have planned now. I'll try to take a pic of it when I have the kit back on.

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2013, 09:52:27 PM »
lol  ::salute

Assume the kit is orange and the MR2 is blue. When we place the kit over the MR2 Engine Compartment there will be gaps between the kit edges and the engine compartment oval edge. are you planning on extending the fiberglass to the gap area in the pic below?

lance345

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2013, 07:03:28 PM »
Looks great  :) hey lance, I thought of making a fiberglass sheet that I would blend in with the Engine-Opening area of the kit and will have an oval opening that exactly fits the MR2 Engine-Area Opening without any gaps around - Are you thinking along these lines too?

Sorry am33r, I'm having a really hard time picturing what you mean. This is to dress up the engine compartment or for functional reasons? I have an idea of what I need to do for function of the engine cover, but I think you are implying something far more complicated than my brain can handle.

lance345

« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2013, 06:56:58 PM »
Just filler pics really. Blacking out my headlights. I am going to carbon fiber them after I fix a couple more problems. Black really makes it easy to see (and the arrows) that there are some "rounding errors" with the headlights. The banks would be proud  ::)

I made some extra money after considering Lambiero's suggestion, and ordered some coilovers. So while the kit is getting really close to mounting, I'm holding off and doing some time killing stuff until they arrive and I put them in. The rear suspension wouldn't be hard to get to with the kit on, but the front really would. My kit will be removable, but I highly doubt I'll be excited to do that down the line when it's on and painted and driving and....yeah.... Thank you for the advice. Was a great observation.

Last pic is just showing the underside of the kit. You have to grind down a huge ridge all over the kit, and while I got it nice and flat it scared me that it's transparent. So just for peace of mind I fiberglassed in a bandaid. Probably useless, but makes me feel better.

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2013, 06:42:24 PM »
Looks great  :) hey lance, I thought of making a fiberglass sheet that I would blend in with the Engine-Opening area of the kit and will have an oval opening that exactly fits the MR2 Engine-Area Opening without any gaps around - Are you thinking along these lines too?

lance345

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2013, 06:36:21 PM »
I've been really busy lately but try to get to the project any few minutes I have. One night I worked on it from 12pm to 2am. I have a lot of dry time going on, so overnight is always the best to get that done.

These two pics are just showing my trunk area all finished. I'm sure there is an easier way, and a better way to do this, but it's the way I decided to do it after many sleepless nights. I'm no fabricator. The framing is 1/8 thick 1" tubing and is what the bodykit will bolt to. The sheetmetal is all 18 gauge. It's tack welded and then metal bonded all on the inside. Probably even stronger trunk than factory. The sheetmetal is formed to the bodykit in many places so it offers further support. I think I have a really good idea for my tail lights, so what I did will be great for their install.

Robert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 124
  • Member Rating Points: +4/-0
  • Lamborghini's rule!
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2013, 02:33:38 AM »
Keep up the good work mate! Good job. Btw I changed my fuel pump while the tank is out lol seemed like the right thing to do. I think CKI should rethink some of their advices cause they all suck x_O

I read that a supra pump works very well in this car, and will handle enough fuel for a lot of upgrades. I did not change it as my donor had low KM and is not getting any engine love. I don't know about the US but up here the turbo engines are a dime a dozen. I'm hoping maybe next summer to buy one and learn more about engines while I tinker with it. I do agree with you though, it is a very smart thing to do, and a good time to do it.

I agree that CKI has some questionable suggestions. But, they are trying to sell the whole "supercar for $12000" or whatever. Doing things right costs more. I've learned that the hard way through this for sure. The thing that scares me the most is their suggestions for the brakes and clutch. Non flared connections for a brake? I wouldn't drive that car. But, at least they show you what needs to be done, and then you can do it correct. For that I give them kudos.
The law in Michigan requires a double flare.
Robert, Journeyman experimental mechanic, Journeyman experimental painter.

lance345

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2013, 12:15:21 AM »
Keep up the good work mate! Good job. Btw I changed my fuel pump while the tank is out lol seemed like the right thing to do. I think CKI should rethink some of their advices cause they all suck x_O

I read that a supra pump works very well in this car, and will handle enough fuel for a lot of upgrades. I did not change it as my donor had low KM and is not getting any engine love. I don't know about the US but up here the turbo engines are a dime a dozen. I'm hoping maybe next summer to buy one and learn more about engines while I tinker with it. I do agree with you though, it is a very smart thing to do, and a good time to do it.

I agree that CKI has some questionable suggestions. But, they are trying to sell the whole "supercar for $12000" or whatever. Doing things right costs more. I've learned that the hard way through this for sure. The thing that scares me the most is their suggestions for the brakes and clutch. Non flared connections for a brake? I wouldn't drive that car. But, at least they show you what needs to be done, and then you can do it correct. For that I give them kudos.

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2013, 08:11:56 AM »
Nice Job Lance! Those are helpful pictures  ::beers

am33r

• YOLO
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2013, 11:49:51 PM »

lance345

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2013, 09:49:02 PM »
Bled the clutch today, did my e-brake and finished up my shifter extension. I read a few different people's ways to do this, and decided on a not-so-permanent solution. It's adapted from someone, I just don't remember who.

Here are pics of the shifter extension. It's completely removable so I can change my transmission without remaking lines, or change my shifter. I think I might add another bracket just behind the shifter plate that keeps the flat iron pieces from lifting. Just as peace of mind (it doesn't now but redundancy isn't bad). I played with it a bit after it was in and so far no problems.

lance345

« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2013, 05:59:27 PM »
Wow, widening a car with a cut sounds like so much work it's crazy. I wouldn't tackle that at all.

I'm jealous that you were able to do it all apsara, but unfortunately I know that is beyond my current skill to tackle myself, and paying to have that all done would be far more than the donor is worth. For now I'm unfortunately going to have to stick with the spacers.

I understand what you're saying Lambiero, but the bodykit will be completely removable. I planned to do this from the start as I intend to do an engine separately down the line and swap it in. That's the hope at least. Regardless, the body will come off to make suspension work, or any work on the donor, easier.

Am33r, yes the car runs. I still have to bleed the brakes and clutch, and extend my shifter lines though. I keep meaning to do this, but always get sidetracked. It's on the list though so I don't forget to do it.  ;)