How To - Tips > Fiberglass & Paint

Fiberglass & Paint Tips

(1/4) > >>

SchulzeA:
I've also used Summit Racing paint. It sprayed nice and looks wonderful. I'm not sure at this point if it will stand the test of time compared to DuPont or PPG...
I always use a small gun to "edge" the car first. It's much easier to spray small/tight areas, door and hood edges first, then finish it all up with the "Big gun".

tonypaul:
Thats the same seller and paint I used on my Diablo Roadster but I went with the Mercedes  Metallic Silver. The paint itself is real good, lays out good, clear was ok. I used a high temp activators but it was over 100 degrees in my booth and I had to up the reducer on the clear to get a good spray pattern out of my Sata gun. But it cut and buffed out pretty good all things considered....

I will be repainting mine again soon in metallic silver but I will be using the Summit Racing brand 2 stage paint next time. I used Summits "Silver Rush" on my 1968 GMC swb when I built that truck and it came out perfect. It looked awsome strait out of the gun and really popped when I wet sanded it and buffed it out. "To me" its the best econo priced paint I have used. Im not a professional paint person so consider that, but I have paint atleast 12 cars and "most" have come out really good. For the money this paint is good, not the best but with good body work it should come out fine.

In the end its really all about the body work, which is where Im not happy with my Diablo. After 4 weeks of sanding/blocking I said F- it and sprayed it. I wanted to drive it not spend another 2 weeks on prepping, which was a mistake but I kinda on a time crunch to finish the before my busy season kicked in on my business. For me, my Diablo was the hardest car I have ever painted. All the sharp edges, and recessed areas was tough. I painted mine with all the panels off and it made it more easy but it was still a very hard process....

01Lambiero:
Anybody know anything good about this paint selling on Ebay?  Excellent price.  My research says that the founders came from House of Kolors.  Their seller feedback seems good also.  They developed the paint with help from the Univ. of Alabama.

Jim

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lamborghini-Lime-Green-Pearl-TriCoat-Tri-Coat-3-Stage-Custom-Auto-Car-Paint-Kit-/270884543781?hash=item3f11fa1d25&item=270884543781&pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&vxp=mtr

Tallon:
Digibeam mentioned he was doing that, and kevlar

SchulzeA:
Just an idea, but how would it work if you completed the body work, then covered it all with one layer of carbon fiber? It would help constrain the fiberglass and make a single surface covering. Then your body work cant show If there is any distortion when the body is extremely hot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version