How To - Tips > Fiberglass & Paint

Fiberglass & Paint Tips

<< < (2/4) > >>

italianknightrider:
Ideas for Undercoat on fiberglass body/fenders

For undercoating fiberglass I'd use POR-15 Pelucid. A polyurethane that will stand up to anything you can throw at it.

Most fiberglass ,even with gel coat on it still has a transparent appearance so undercoating the body will seal off most of the transparent light from being seen thru the body ... an give your paint job color a rich depth of most factory cars, quiet down road noise an protect from rocks chips an staring from underside an other debris on the road that,s thrown underneath the car.

Many of the rodders around here have the undersides of fenders, bodies, splash aprons, and other open-to-the-road areas sprayed with a bedliner material in complementary colors to their paint, or plain black and then spray the matching paint over it. It sure eleiminates the "stars" you can pick up on our gravel-strewn freeways!

RT:
I love that blue.  I was even going to paint mine that blue but was talked out of it and will go with silver instead, mostly due to the heat issue.  Just don't let a thing like that stop you.  You will have to live with the car and ENJOY IT.
There are two ways to go with the paint on a Lambo; flashy or classy.  I'm going classy and besides it will match my hair.
A "flex additive" won't do much to resolve the issue.  The problem has to do with how much distortion occurs on the surface of the fiberglass when heated.  That shows up when light reflects off the heated body surface and after all that sanding to produce a smooth body it looks like you did bad bodywork.  A flex additive is good for preventing cracks on something when flexed.  If heating in the sun gets that bad, the car would melt.  LOL
Light colors are good but go with your favorite choice and keep in mind the things you can do to minimize the distortion.

RT

Tallon:
It's a safe color to go with if we're too afraid to go crazy with other colors :D
There's so many pictures that look good because they're edited, it would definitely be nice to see a monterey blue murcie in person. or turquoise :D

SchulzeA:
Will a flex additive in the paint should solve this issue? It would be silly if everyone's car is white.  :)

Tallon:
rally from exoticmotorsports told me to not use dark colors as well, the guy on youtube that made all them lambos

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version