Author Topic: Shift/Select Cable Extension - 86' Fiero  (Read 1876 times)

Correy7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: Shift/Select Cable Extension - 86' Fiero
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 07:25:20 PM »
Thank you all very much - will reach out to push and pull in CA to see what they can do for me, will update thread once I have the solution in place!

msaby

• Liked: 3
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 03:39:56 PM »
Contact Push and Pull cables out of CA.  They will build you a set of fiero shift cables any length you need.  I have them on my build and the quality is far better then any stock cables. 

Mike

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 11:02:14 AM »
ask here , he did lot of fix it kits etc
http://rodneydickman.com

diablodoc

• Liked: 28
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 09:29:28 AM »
Like Eddie, I can't remember who came up with this first, but extended my cables at the shifter end.  I'm using a Porsche Boxster transaxle and shifter/cables, but the principle should be the same.  The Boxster cables have a barrel end that has grooves around the circumference that the cable ends slide onto.  So, I had a machine shop make me a couple of extensions with one end grooved to match the cable ends.  The other end of the extensions I attached to the cable ends using coupling nuts secured with set screws.

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 05:40:36 PM »
back in days I had 25th on stretched 86 Fiero with 350 LT1,and Issuzu 5 the cables from Fiero with the Issuzu 5 has the longest cable it fit ok for me, if you are still using Fiero shifter . but some one made simple tubular extensions  at the shifter housing , I cant remember who   

Correy7

• Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Shift/Select Cable Extension - 86' Fiero
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 03:21:05 PM »
Fellas,

Have been tinkering with my Countach project over the last few months and am happy to say that I have just two more small task to bring her up to code for safety purposes.

That being said, I now have a small mechanical issue.

As of a few weeks ago, we noticed that the select cable linkage at the gearbox was loose, loose because the prior owner had opted for a duck tape with a copper tubing graft to extend the cable...this obviously deteriorated with time and heat.

With that said, how would one go about repairing this? I purchased a new pioneer cable, only issue I didn't hit on when ordering is that this is a stretched classis so the new one will not fit the bill. Is there a resource someone can direct me too for manufacturing a structurally sound extension? Or tips as to how you may have completed similar?

I have attached a photo for reference, with tape removed.

Thank you for your time and help as always.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:22:56 PM by Correy7 »