Author Topic: Finished kit  (Read 2171 times)

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
Re: Finished kit
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 11:16:16 AM »
Well most cars are made by humans so yeah a nice car can be made, to me a car is a car it just depends how much money, time, skill and knowledge gets put in to it.
Not many people make these cars in general so naturally you won't see many mercy 4's. Not from people who build replicas anyway.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 11:56:02 AM by Tallon »

Fatboyslim

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 149
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
  • Lamborghini Addiction
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 10:30:28 PM »
 These gentlemen are right, if you you take the time to build it right and dont cut any corners you will have a nice car if you rush and cut corners it will show in the final product. I could not have finished rebuilding this car without this forums help cause i dont know much about building these cars but i read all the threads these guys post and find they have tons of valuable info/knowledge. This pic is a car i just rebuilt and finished and was so much fun, i love doing this. Thanks for all your guys help  ::beers

LP640

• MURCI MAFIA
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 36
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
  • LP640
    • Free Website
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 06:35:59 PM »
Yes it has alot to do with how you build it. With what I know now, im glad I had alot of my work done by professionals and left the small work for myself. The structure and welding was done by professionals. And the car feels very safe because of it. My car is not even fully done yet and I drive it like crazy. I have murci replica btw.
Siteupp.com

bluefiero88

• Paul G / former founding member of D&R replicar.
  • Liked: 15
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
  • Hi fellow car fabricators
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 06:11:28 PM »
well i have been working on kit cars for 15 years and as a founding member of D&R repilicar i will tell you this. Your car is only as good as you make it. If you cut corners to speed up the build then things will go wrong. Fieros a gonna forever give you problems. This i why pontiac stopped manufacturing the fiero. even so it is still the most practical choice for a replicar. If you are getting squeaking noise then i would check where the body mounts to the frame. it should have been mounted with a layer of silicone between the fiberglass and steel frame to minimize squeaks. you need to locate where the squeak is coming from. IT could be a door rubbing somewhere. it could just need weatherstripping. I work on many replicas for other people and regular mechanic shops won't touch these cars because they can't guarantee the work.
Paul G

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 04:13:20 PM »
So basically what you are saying is: It doesn't look like one, the interior doesn't look like one, the engine isn't like one and so on.  So I would say that it isn't one.  A replica is = a replica.  A clone is = a clone.  Which one would you like to drive?  It's our hobby, sport, and our great endeavor.  We love it.  Build it to look nice and chances are nobody will know the difference.  If you chintz on part of your build, it may come back to bite you.  I think that it has to do with Murphy's law or how much your wife weighs.  Fix it right and check it off your list.

Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

jw9800

• Liked: 3
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Finished kit
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 02:45:32 PM »
So having bought a Diablo and then selling it, I still consider myself a newbie. I have learned a lot but have several questions on the the finished product.
Do all of these kits squeak when you drive them? I know mine was a roadster and because of the lack of roof, it shook a little, squeaked a lot.
It seems like something was always not working. You fix one thing and another would break, just wondering if this was normal on these builds.
I noticed with mine that no one wanted to work on it and gave me crazy stories why they couldn't and just said I have to go somewhere else. Mostly because of how many options and things changed.

On another note, I don't see many Mercy 4 builds at all. I know these do not look quite like a murcielago but you would think they are close enough and using a Camaro or firebird, you wouldn't need to stretch the frame, replace the engine with a bigger one and it would be easier to title.
I know these have the engine in the front which is not like a real one. Is no one building them because they are far from the original spec. I heard them referred to as a pregnant murcielago.
Just my 2 cents