Author Topic: Anyone else using Northstar V8  (Read 1102 times)

Lambo2005

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 8
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: Anyone else using Northstar V8
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 06:54:40 PM »
Thanks I will post my pics tomorrow when I get in my computer. I have bought my body. It’s a Diablo kit from D&R. I’m about 50% complete. It’s lots of little things at this point.
Rob-Diablo D&R kit

italianknightrider

• IKR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Liked: 79
  • Member Rating Points: +36/-2
  • LAMBOCLONE MAFIA - Administrator / Owner
Re: Anyone else using Northstar V8
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 06:00:30 PM »
welcome to the forum

we would like to see the pictures of the rear frame ,we have another member doing the same thing ,he is using the NorthStar cradle, engine and transmission. will you post those photos in the frame section of the forum, and again welcome. we are looking for new members with innovative ideas and more build diaries , even if its just chassis builds and you have not purchased your body, lets get back to sharing ideas and posting pictures. 
We hope our post help someone finish their build or get them interested in our hobby and start a build.

Lambo2005

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 8
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Anyone else using Northstar V8
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 01:48:08 PM »
So when I started my build I was using a Fiero Donor car and was going to just use a Chevy 350 mated to the old Fiero 5 speed manual transmission. I even bought the Archie's adapter kit and built up a motor had it mounted and installed in the car.
Then I kept hearing the horror stories of twisted axles and clutches breaking and I knew the Fiero transaxle wasnt made for 300 HP.
I didnt want anything radical but at least 300 Hp and the reliability to take the car anywhere and not worry about it breaking down. Plus being in the Midwest I didn't like the idea of cold starting a carbureted engine even in the fall. 
So, to me the simplest solution was to find a FWD V8 and just take the whole front end and move it to the back. Keep everything together the way it was engineered from the factory.  At the time the only reasonable FWD V8 was the Cadillac DTS. So I keep looking until I found one totaled from a rear collision. Was able to buy the whole front for a good price and then modified my Kit to accept the new direction.
This meant removing the chevy motor and Fiero transaxle. Basically cutting the frame and everything out from the firewall back. I built a tubular frame to envelope the DTS engine and support the struts and bolt the factory cradle right into the tube chassis. Then welded it to the back half of the Fiero. So thats how I got here and yeah I know the Northstar isnt the greatest of engines and its very heavy being a dual OHC. But it should be a reliable choice with decent enough power as the fiberglass body and tubular chassis wont weigh much. 

Anyway is there anyone else out there using a Northstar engine and maybe 4T 80E transmission? 
Rob-Diablo D&R kit