Author Topic: Please Help?  (Read 1664 times)

diablodoc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 28
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: Please Help?
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 05:53:39 PM »
You say that the original column was fouling the brake linkage, but didn't say exactly what was happening.  I have used an Alfa Romeo steering column on mine with some pedals from a Subaru WRX.  The brake pedal would hit the steering column when depressed so I just bent the brake (slightly) over and down to avoid the column.  Works great.  This may not be your problem however.

aeauto

• Liked: 33
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 01:23:05 PM »
The fuel pump is run through the ECU so that it will not run all the time if the engine dies.  You will notice that on most cars the fuel pump comes on when you turn on the switch and then shuts off after a few seconds.  The fuel pump will shut off if the engine dies for some reason.  This is a safety feature so that in the event of an accident and the engine dies the pump doesn't continue to pump and possible pump fuel and cause a fire.  Don't wire the pump so that it is always on with the switch.

lambobuilder

• Liked: 211
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
    • Lambobuilder
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 01:34:59 PM »
Agree. I would not mess with ECU, first verify fuel pump not turning on first. If not I would try power up fuel pump and see if it runs. It could be there are other things that it could effect. It could leave it in limp mode.

Ccemn1

• Liked: 22
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 09:35:57 AM »
Thank you very much for the tip.
I watched the Vid, and it just seems that if it's only killing the fuel pump, it would be safer and easier to just rewire the fuel pump to a line that is hot when ignition is turned on, rather than risk taking apart and fooling with the guts of your ECU?

lambobuilder

• Liked: 211
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
    • Lambobuilder
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 08:33:48 AM »
I had to defeat the imobilizer on a Honda S2000. I realize not same car but all the imobilizer did was shut off power to fuel pump. Your mechanic may want to start there to see if fuel pump is running when trying to start.
https://youtu.be/fKUTMJitipg

Ccemn1

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 08:57:17 AM »
The steering wheel in the Photos was the original. This is the Gran Prix wheel in it.

Ccemn1

Please Help?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 08:54:48 AM »
I bought a Ron Dolling Diablo Roadster. IMHO the finest builder on the planet of these cars. Only problem is, I'm the 3rd, or 4th owner and previously the car was stolen, trashed, and stripped of anything salable on it. The Fiero motor was blown, so a previous owner had a 3.8 super charged motor put in, from a 2007 Pontiac Gran Prix. When I bought it, it had the steering column & wheel from the Gran Prix installed also. My guess was to have the transponder key function with the new motor?
I only got one key with the car, so when I went to get more keys made, we discovered it was a transponder key. The locksmith suggested he cut a plain (Non-transponder) key, and see if it works. It did! That made me assume that somehow, the transponder had been defeated.
The larger Gran Prix column was fouling the brake linkage, so I'm having a mechanic install a Fiero column, from the same year as the donor car. Problem is, this latest mechanic can get the car to crank over with the Fiero column & key, but not run.
Anyone have any experience, or tips on this topic? It's driving both me and this current mechanic crazy!
I've had this car over a year, and have only been able to drive it about 4 times!