Author Topic: countach curved side glass  (Read 11934 times)

Lambomantoo

• Countach builder of replicas... (NOT kit cars nor Fierros)
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
  • Name is Joe. Been building Countachs since 1983.
Re: countach curved side glass
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 10:43:05 AM »
This now the Third time I have tried to post this and I get shut off while trying to post photos.
????????????????????
We are talking correct side windows here are we not?
I think someone is reading what I am trying to post and shuts me off.  ::bounce????
Lets see if ANY of these three shots come thru?
Test!
I build a LOT of other cars besides the Countach. Taught Colleges restoration, welding, drafting, metal fab, and engineering courses for 28 years. High school IA also some. Was a M.E. in Mil. Spec. industry for 9 years total too.

Lambomantoo

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 10:02:54 AM »
I believe that my message still stands as is.  ::)
AND
Thank you for the reply. ::wave
You are asking about glass on this thread..... RIGHT?
Please reread my previous remark and information S L O W L Y. ::beers
Joe in Mo.
I build a LOT of other cars besides the Countach. Taught Colleges restoration, welding, drafting, metal fab, and engineering courses for 28 years. High school IA also some. Was a M.E. in Mil. Spec. industry for 9 years total too.

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 09:56:03 AM »
Are you asking for the molding around the edges of the glass or a mold (die) to reproduce the glass?

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 649
  • Member Rating Points: +23/-0
  • Big Gulps, huh? All right! Well, see ya later.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 09:25:52 PM »
 ::scratch
I met a man with a dollar, we exchanged dollars and we still had a dollar. I met a man with an idea, we exchanged ideas and now we both have two ideas!!!

Lambomantoo

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 07:53:31 PM »
I have a set of Countach side windows.
Told Freddy He knows this.
I need to get with someone who can make the steel mold forms.
I will NOT let my glass go somewhere w/o the full amount posted in cash.
I do not want to SELL my glass.
PERIOD!!!!
Tempered glass IS flat glass which is heated to a high heat and then must be put onto or in a form in which they cool it to temper.
The genuine article is twisted AND curved! ALL 6 pieces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Forming safety plate is NOT the way to go! It will delaminate causing air bubbles and white edges from the unlaminating that the glass will do. It is two separate pieces with a plastic sandwiched in between them. Curving them sets up a tension in the plastic causing it to RIP itself loose. A mold MUST be made for the raw HOT glass to lay on while the cooling part is done.
I tolds Freddie a long time ago I went to LOF at Ford to find all of this info out. Cost me money and time. There was also a glass prototyping shop in Michigan who could make all of this as they did it for the manufacturers prototypes. BUT will not copy anyone's product w/o the proper paperwork.
There are LOTS of companies who have the know how to temper the glass!!! They do it everyday.
All industrial doors manufactured by ALL glass companies have their doors done this way. We are talking for Wal Mart, groceries, and downtown businesses. Those doors are ALL tempered and made from Flat Glass!!!!!
I have to be E mailed or called I am not on Forums much as I also run 2 businesses. But I have 3 Countach Replicas that I have to build. I have only one set of glass and I am busy with my businesses BUT I would go ahead with the side glass project. I NEED help accomplishing this task NOT problems. So don't ask for my glass to sent to you. Where it goes so shall I. Or better yet is to help with the metal molds or come up with ever will work for this task??? Carbon Fiber????? I don't know. Who worked near a glass company that produces tempered glass? Check your Thomas Registries or wherever you can think of.
We CAN do THIS for our cars!!!!! ::beers W/O authorizations.
But not to sell as real car replacements. :(
So there is where we are.

Linlor

• Liked: 28
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 11:15:15 AM »
OK

Update on curved side glass for Countach projects.

Dhart99 and I have been in touch with Freddy from Sienna Countach in the US.  He is currently working with his glass maker to get oem side glass made.  He was contacted by several Sienna owners and made a several side glass sets last year that fit the Sienna but he said that the side glass was very close but not quite oem shape and size.  He has since been contacted by Lamborghini dealers and they are also looking for oem size glass for their customers.  Freddy will have oem side glass available in the coming few months.  A full set of side door glass package estimate is around the $2000 mark but he will know more once he gets everything made and knows his costs.

Dhart99 and I will be getting a set each for our cars.  Anyone else interested and we can start a list with Freddy.

More to come I hope..... :)
Cheers
Don

He will be updating his blog subscribers as he gets more details and I will pass on to this thread as well for you Countach owners that want to oem look and feel and size (should raise the roofs up for the oem look)

Graeme Stebbing

• Liked: 30
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 04:10:59 PM »
Hi Dale, Yep the world in indeed is a small place, I have only been to the USA once to Boulder, and I bumped into two people I new from NZ, keep me in the loop if you find anything about the glass, the kit manufacturer in NZ that built my body (now defunct) used to fit flat side  glass but I suspect the frames were made by Ged,  who I am pretty sure now lives here in NZ. but I don't like the flat glass see photo.
many thanks
graeme

dhart99

• Liked: 2
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 03:48:11 PM »
 Hi Graeme , small world :)  Laminated is not usually used in side glass applications as it cracks after a while of shutting doors . The stuff William got looks pretty good and they are going to try and get some measurements for me and I will pass them on .

Graeme Stebbing

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 03:39:43 PM »
Ok that's not good news because I will need some in the future, for My Prova copy, and I have no idea how close a Mirage is to a Prova, I know Don mentioned a couple of days ago about Will getting the glass from Pilkington and I did not think his body was a Mirage maybe Don can respond. In New Zealand the powers that be say the Windscreen must be Laminated and the side windows have to be Tempered, but I will have to verify that as the rules here change between breakfast and lunchtime lol
Graeme

dhart99

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 03:27:42 PM »
  Thanks Lambo , I have talked to them , however all they have is the Mirage kit car glass , I was looking for OEM size and they don't make that I guess and it is laminated , would rather tempered .

Graeme Stebbing

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »
hi Dale I believe these guys make them.
Peter Swann at Pilkington in the UK
 His work 'phone number is +44 (0) 1795 596106.

dhart99

countach curved side glass
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 12:44:13 PM »
  Looking for original sized OEM Countach side glass , does anybody know a source for used glass from a wreck or used parts supplier .

Thanks