Author Topic: LP 640 Autopro  (Read 212362 times)

Robert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 124
  • Member Rating Points: +4/-0
  • Lamborghini's rule!
Re: LP 640 Autopro
« Reply #313 on: June 15, 2016, 08:32:27 AM »
Well thanks for all the info on where to get my other bits and pieces at the R/C store, good idea bud.

Yesterday I made a skeletal frame to go inside of my fiberglass uprights for the wing.  Even though just the fiberglass uprights where very strong I still worried that the wing would rip off.  I still have to weld some nuts to the base plate that holds it to the exhaust lid and the top plate to the wing.

Looks good!
Robert, Journeyman experimental mechanic, Journeyman experimental painter.

notnilc20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 174
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #312 on: June 13, 2016, 01:30:55 AM »
Pedro that color is going to look killer on the car.  Can't wait.

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #311 on: June 12, 2016, 11:05:15 AM »
Yep Lambo_sam and Pedro, a trip to the local RC Hobby Shop is a great idea even if you do not need anything quite yet. They have an incredible amount of tiny hardware, linkages, extruded shapes, and other stuff. Just being aware that this stuff exists and is also readily available is a huge design tool.   

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #310 on: June 12, 2016, 08:23:13 AM »
Well thanks for all the info on where to get my other bits and pieces at the R/C store, good idea bud.

Yesterday I made a skeletal frame to go inside of my fiberglass uprights for the wing.  Even though just the fiberglass uprights where very strong I still worried that the wing would rip off.  I still have to weld some nuts to the base plate that holds it to the exhaust lid and the top plate to the wing.

Pedro

lambo_sam

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 149
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
  • So. Cal, living the lambo dream everyday!
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/147611676@N08/albums
« Reply #309 on: June 04, 2016, 08:53:09 PM »
Hey Pedro, Seats look good! about the latches, mine are a bit different than yours so I'm not even sure what benz model mine came from, one of mine also has the child safety switch on it, I permanently disabled it so that it would never engage. Anyways you can see how I routed my cable and you may need to go to a R/C hobby shop to get parts to make a mini linkage, i.e. threaded rod, ball hitches and ball joints, and used scrap metal to fabricate more linkage.

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #308 on: June 04, 2016, 06:55:22 PM »
Well I couldn't wait until Monday and today was a perfect day for painting.   This will also be the final color for the car.

Pedro

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #307 on: June 04, 2016, 10:47:11 AM »
Got my seats all primed and then added some guide coat.  Final wet sanding  (I hate this part) before paint on Monday, then they are off to the upholstery shop!

Pedro

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #306 on: June 04, 2016, 10:28:48 AM »
@ 01Lambiero - Thank you very much for the picture, in fact I already had it saved in my library and used it as inspiration for what I am doing.  I would have done it exactly like that but I didn't have that material on hand when I started working on the latch, thought I did but didn't   :'(

@ murci-me and Sam - All great info on the subject. 

Mike makes perfect sense for the two cable pulls on the handle definitely going to go this route to connect the cable to the lock part.

Sam I have both front and rear latches that I removed at the junkyard from a Mercedes but I really couldn't see a difference between them except for the child lock option on the rears, I'm going to look closer at them this afternoon.

Thanks brothers  ::headbang
Pedro

lambo_sam

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
« Reply #305 on: June 04, 2016, 02:10:03 AM »
Hey Pedro, I want to add some additional info on this, So murcie-me and I had a discussion off site about the mercedes latches,  as you may know there are the front door and rear doors, On my car I'm using the front door latches (that came with my ifg kit) which only needs 1 cable, But the rear door latches (which OEM uses) 2 cables needs to be used to unlock and open the door from the inside, Thanks Murcie-me. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 03:04:33 AM by lambo_sam »

★Murci-Me★

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Liked: 61
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #304 on: June 03, 2016, 10:32:13 PM »
No prob Pedro, Looking good!

Hey Murcie-me I think you can still open your door from the inside if locked in by just pulling on the manual handle provided there is a cable running to the latch? right? I know I can with mine and I'm using the Bomoro Lambo/Mbenz latches.

Yes, that is why there is a provision for 2 cables on the handle. One goes to the latch, and the other goes to the lock mechanism. I've seen ALOT of people just hook up the latch part and not the lock release.

lambo_sam

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
« Reply #303 on: June 03, 2016, 11:16:01 AM »
This is where it gets kind of tricky, I am using the old fiero inner door handles (modified of course) so only one single cable is used, there is a lot of modification and fabrication going on in this process,  you have to make little brackets from scrap metal and glass them in, also mini cable clamps used as well, for the final installation my door cards have three slip in catches glassed in which allows the door card to slip in from the top  kind of like oem, and allows me to have the door card open at the bottom  to get my hands in there to attach the cable to the inner door handle also in the first pic at the cable end of that I added another custom made hole drilled hex bolt and nut so the cable would not slip through the first one attached to the inner door handle and , sorry I don’t  have or cant find pics of this procedure, also ifg’s fiberglass bodies are so thick in layers I didn’t add a lot of metal support to the latch and I open and close my doors 1000’s of times everything works just fine and very strong, But it’s totally ok to add the metal work, I know we have different bodies. Hope this helps. Ask me anything.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #302 on: June 03, 2016, 10:19:52 AM »
Here is a pic of a latch attachment that I like.  It gives support all around the latch and can then be welded to the inner door framework and even reinforced with fiberglass if needed.  It allows for cable brackets and linkage to be added also.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 10:24:28 AM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #301 on: June 03, 2016, 09:47:26 AM »
Hey Murcie-me I think you can still open your door from the inside if locked in by just pulling on the manual handle provided there is a cable running to the latch? right? I know I can with mine and I'm using the Bomoro Lambo/Mbenz latches. 

Sam, how did you do this?  Do you have any pictures of your installation?  I'm still trying to figure out how to attach the cable to the door handle and then ran to the latch.  Did you have to run two separate cables, one for the lock and one to open the latch?

Last night I started working on reinforcing the door latch, I'm still going to add some more metal and eventually weld it to the door structure.  This is just the start of the framing and it was all I could finish before my wife yelled at me to go to sleep   ::zzzzz

Pedro

lambo_sam

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
« Reply #300 on: June 02, 2016, 03:35:46 PM »
No prob Pedro, Looking good!

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #299 on: June 01, 2016, 02:08:21 PM »
@ Lambo_Sam and Murci-Me

Guys thank you very much for the suggestions I will definitely be doing them, I really don't want to be stuck in the car that would be so embarrassing  :-[

I did get to mount the fuel door release solenoid (this one is OEM) which was actually pretty cheap from the Lamborghini dealer.  I just used some JB Weld to temporarily hold the nuts and then this weekend I will throw some fiberglass on top of them.

Oh and a picture of the nuts and metal plates that I fiberglassed into the seats all trimmed up.

Pedro