Author Topic: G28 - Simple Mans, Simple REDO of an G28 LP640  (Read 189810 times)

Simple Man

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: G28 - Simple Mans, Simple REDO of an G28 LP640
« Reply #387 on: May 02, 2018, 09:47:05 PM »
Good times under the dash of the REDO  :o  Made a little progress on the wiring, only 3 more REDOs on twisted and taped connections.   

There are a bunch of fiero connectors that are not connected to anything.  ::scratch   Some were constant "hot" with the key in the off position.

Some were only "hot" with the key in the on position.  Since I have no clue what the various fiero connectors are for.  I had to pull the fuses one by one until the test light went out. Marked each one.  I'll use these later in the build

I have no clue on some of the connectors.  Maybe some one here can shed some light what the heck they are for.   ::help ::toothy

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 10:31:06 PM by Simple Man »

Simple Man

« Reply #386 on: May 02, 2018, 01:17:27 PM »
Wow you have quite a project with that wiring! Looks like you have the skills fix it though.
Keep at it, you will have it sorted out eventually. ::thumbup

thanks LP670Mike!  It looks worse than it appears.. or is it .... worse than it looks?  I have some skills but being OCD seems to help  :LL:  Just keep plugging away!

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 282
  • Member Rating Points: +10/-0
« Reply #385 on: May 01, 2018, 05:40:07 AM »
Wow you have quite a project with that wiring! Looks like you have the skills fix it though.
Keep at it, you will have it sorted out eventually. ::thumbup

Simple Man

« Reply #384 on: April 30, 2018, 10:33:20 PM »
Trying to get a bit completed on the wiring.

The mystery of the purple wire on the Sebring headlight switch and the spliced red wire to the Fiero has been resolved!!   This red wire spliced to the purple was the power source for the dash lights.  :LL:

Testing the sebring switch, the black wire with the white stripes is the only one that is hot when the parking lights are switched on.  That black wire was traced to a blue crimp junction which was connected to a black fiero wire that is constant hot.  But also connected to it was the wiper motor.

Looking at the Fiero fuse box there is a fused wiper circuit, I will use this fused circuit as I don't want my wipers to run without the ignition "on" or "acc" position. ::study

« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:13:55 PM by Simple Man »

Simple Man

« Reply #383 on: April 30, 2018, 08:11:16 PM »
SM Redo:  One look at your spaghetti wiring leads me to advise you to install a "Painless Wiring" kit.  You really don't want a hidden problem to bite you later on.  I think that 76mx is an authorized seller or he can direct you on who to contact for purchasing.  Summit Racing sells them also  ::scratch ::thumbup

Thanks 01 for the idea,  but its the connections that need to be soldered.  If I pulled the Fiero harness and put in painless, Which would be a ton of work..... I would still have to solder all those connections in the instrument cluster. To much pain putting in the painless  :LL:

I think I have about 30-50 connections to REDO at the instrument cluster and under the steering column.

Simple Man

« Reply #382 on: April 30, 2018, 08:00:53 PM »
Wow you really have your work cut out fixing that wiring, but it looks like you are making good progress.  The gauges look great

Thanks Autopro! I will be taking it one connection at a time  8)

The instrument cluster is a Murci Me design.  It comes with a G28 size instrument cluster trim piece tooth that looks OEM.  As well as the cover on the top/back side.  the layout of it is pretty cool and well thought out.  The Back lighting on the gauges is great !!

The PO painted the instrument cluster trim piece, then dripped fiberglass resin and scratched it all to heck. 

The Plexiglas cover is scratched up pretty badly.  The Plexiglas piece in the rear is cracked in one corner.

So, some of it will be a REDO to make it decent.  Glad to have this as it will give the build the OEM look that I am striving for.

Simple Man

« Reply #381 on: April 30, 2018, 07:44:55 PM »
And people wonder why these never get finished. Hats off to you sir for taking the time to fix it and do it right.  ::thumbup

Thanks Lambobuilder!  Its  puzzling why the PO didn't do it right in the first place.     ::scratch

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #380 on: April 30, 2018, 12:08:50 PM »
SM Redo:  One look at your spaghetti wiring leads me to advise you to install a "Painless Wiring" kit.  You really don't want a hidden problem to bite you later on.  I think that 76mx is an authorized seller or he can direct you on who to contact for purchasing.  Summit Racing sells them also  ::scratch ::thumbup

20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #379 on: April 30, 2018, 09:02:31 AM »
Wow you really have your work cut out fixing that wiring, but it looks like you are making good progress.  The gauges look great
Pedro

lambobuilder

• Liked: 211
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
    • Lambobuilder
« Reply #378 on: April 30, 2018, 08:28:22 AM »
And people wonder why these never get finished. Hats off to you sir for taking the time to fix it and do it right.  ::thumbup

Simple Man

« Reply #377 on: April 29, 2018, 11:24:15 PM »
After being totally disgusted yesterday. I took most of today off.  Then after dinner started to look at this POS.

Thanks Murci Me for the wiring diagram,  You are right this type work gives Kit Cars a bad name.

With half the dash lights out and wiggling the wires and having it go completely dark.  I located the offending connection. 

The dash has 2 of the blue boxes that run the instrument gauge lights, pretty cool.

One of them has a hole  ::scratch  So I made a temporary jumper and the all the gauge lights came on.  I'm not sure if it the inverter or some shoddy work....

Since I'm ahead, I better quit for the day!!!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:32:13 PM by Simple Man »

Simple Man

« Reply #376 on: April 29, 2018, 11:13:21 PM »
Well I changed my avatar to a pile of poo with a couple of flies flying above.

The REDO...what can you say....

I traced the 3 non OEM wires from the trunk to the instrument cluster.  They were connected to the L&R indicators.

A quick survey of the wiring.  No duct tape this time just a bunch of twisted connections with electrical tape.   ::thumbup

half of the dash lights are out.

When the wiring is lightly moved the dash goes completely out.

purple marks the poo!

Simple Man

« Reply #375 on: April 29, 2018, 11:04:40 PM »
ok then ,but I would check with local emission test requirement . Here in Ontario CN if the car is registered as home build or Kit no need emission test
btw good work on your buid

Thanks! I did a quick check and the CAT will stay in!

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 286
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #374 on: April 28, 2018, 04:33:20 PM »
ok then ,but I would check with local emission test requirement . Here in Ontario CN if the car is registered as home build or Kit no need emission test
btw good work on your buid

Simple Man

« Reply #373 on: April 28, 2018, 02:07:42 PM »
Thanks to Murci Me for the confirming I was keeping the right wires.  ::thumbup

removed all the plastic wire loom.  Not sure I like the stuff as it was all brittle.

The REDOs wiring theme is "twist them together"  & "duct tape"  Only use electrical tape if necessary. Don't use any solder as you might burn yourself :LL:

Barely used HID system for sale cheap, wire included ::tongue
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 02:11:00 PM by Simple Man »