Author Topic: Trailering your "kit" car.  (Read 2424 times)

notnilc20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 174
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
Re: Trailering your "kit" car.
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 02:26:19 PM »
I use this flat bed from BIG TEX trailers. to haul my lp640. It is about 2" wider than most trailers and barley clears the oil cooler vents. I rented it from BIG TEX trailers in Rockwall Texas. I believe it was 83 wide, between the fenders. Fenders are removable. This store is a major chain, with locations in many states.

Ok cool now we're getting somewhere. Lambomurci, how much was it ti rent that trailer?  Thx

Peggyontherunireland

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 10:12:39 AM »

lamborghinimurci

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 6
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 09:44:54 AM »
I use this flat bed from BIG TEX trailers. to haul my lp640. It is about 2" wider than most trailers and barley clears the oil cooler vents. I rented it from BIG TEX trailers in Rockwall Texas. I believe it was 83 wide, between the fenders. Fenders are removable. This store is a major chain, with locations in many states.

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 04:39:42 PM »
Yeah if you just need it once, it doesn't make much sense to invest in building a trailer. I actually thought about building a trailer for mine before it is finished so I can tow it around to have various things done to it before it can operate under it's own power. We'll see.

I'll be interested to hear what you come up with.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

notnilc20

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 03:40:36 PM »
Ah, just build one. ;) If these cars can be built, a trailer to tow them can be built.

Thought about that, but i just need it once. Maybe try to modify an existing one. Also thought about a uhaul car dolly thingy ma-jig.

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 02:54:05 PM »
Ah, just build one. ;) If these cars can be built, a trailer to tow them can be built.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

Tallon

• Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 02:03:27 PM »
A roll back is much wider than the car and they can position it in any angle so the chassis can roll up and they pull it up with chains. Quick, easy and safe. But as far as renting something you can actually drive yourself I have no idea. Uhaul is cutting it too close so I wouldn't even try it. If you compare the dimensions to a murcie, the uhaul is an inch too narrow I believe.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 02:08:08 PM by Tallon »

notnilc20

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 10:17:03 AM »
Wow!! I guess an ideal trailer would have to be a flatbed that sits above the trailer axles. Surely someone has put their replica lp640 on a trailer with success?? 

nickmkk

• Liked: 61
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
  • Cloquet, MN
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 08:16:55 AM »
My trailer wasn't quite wide enough, I had to set the body on the chassis all weird to make it clear the trailers wheel wells, i was terrified the whole way home. lol

Digibeam

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 11:02:59 PM »
I have hurcules rims on the build and not a chance would it fit any car carrier or trailer available for rent.
I used a 5 ton truck and loaded it into the box to transport to the island and even then there was not much space either side of the gate.

am33r

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 37
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
  • YOLO
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:43:52 PM »
Thank you for the thread; I’ll have to measure my car’s total wheels-stance tomorrow for the front and the back now that it is perfectly aligned and will be the same from now on – you never know when it needs a tow.

I picked up my G28 kit alone without the car using the Auto Transport from U-Haul but I don't know now.. In the pic below my rear tires do not reach the widest edge of the rockers (in no car should they), which means I should still be able to drive it up the auto transport trailer  ::scratch

All these G28’s might be the same width, but I think the width of ‘outer edge of left tires - to outer edge of right tires’ on each car is different; and that is what matters to the exact inch once these kits are widened.

On the other hand, what is the towing mechanism on you guy’s kits? is it better if it is in the center of the car? Last year I added this behind the front grill’s eye and the ring sticks out in front of the eye when installed, I ordered the hook to look similar to the fasteners on my front hood and trunk latch.

This is the width of my car in pics of how I left it last year, finally I drove it out of my garage today - a whole year since I worked on it.  I removed the Headlights to replace 2 HID's, and the door cards are off till I figure out how to align the soft top and the windows next week.  Also the fuel cap an a few interior panels/parts and rocker grills are off (: 

hahah sorry I highjacked the thread for a moment there - got excited I saw it in daylight again

But yea the width should be different on all of them, and that +/- an inch or two matters a lot.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:14:22 PM by am33r »

notnilc20

Trailering your "kit" car.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:16:37 PM »
What kind of trailer do you guys use for these mercy2 or g28? Will the uhaul auto transport work or is the car too wide?? Thx.