Author Topic: CarKitInc Sued By Lamborghini  (Read 51756 times)

HawkerDriver

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 4
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: CarKitInc Sued By Lamborghini
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2014, 03:21:07 PM »
I am beginning to start thinking along the lines of getting access to a mold and then doing the lay up in carbon fiber, then Vacuum Bagging it to cure. Ambitious but very possible.
It all depends on what you want. For the G28, I totally agree. However, there aren't as many options for the OEM spec crowd (which I happen to be in - for now). Either way, having done some fiberglass work myself, I would *MUCH* rather buy a manufactured body than try to make my own and pull it from the mold. That is a heck of a lot of work which I would only do if absolutely necessary. Don't get me wrong, I would and will do it if necessary but I would rather avoid it.

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2014, 03:16:50 PM »
It all depends on what you want. For the G28, I totally agree. However, there aren't as many options for the OEM spec crowd (which I happen to be in - for now). Either way, having done some fiberglass work myself, I would *MUCH* rather buy a manufactured body than try to make my own and pull it from the mold. That is a heck of a lot of work which I would only do if absolutely necessary. Don't get me wrong, I would and will do it if necessary but I would rather avoid it.
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #123 on: October 03, 2014, 03:02:17 PM »
legalities aside I'm just wondering why people aren't buying the body's & incomplete builds that members and others have for sale? Is there that many new builders that are wanting new bodies we need to go to the extreme of trying to find molds and take on making them ourselves? I'm sure Ill get some heat for saying that but its a question I've been asking myself since this thread took off! 3 out of every 100 get complete so that leaves about 97 bodies out there to purchase! I know for a fact there are 2 active members on here that are actively looking to sell there build/bodies right now. Bodies not being available only makes the prices of our cars that much higher. Just food for thought.... Jarhead out  888o

BigPines

« Reply #122 on: October 03, 2014, 12:21:45 PM »
Unfortunately, I don't know him at all so I can't help with that. I wish you the best of luck. I would be very curious if you are successful. ::thumbup

HawkerDriver

« Reply #121 on: October 03, 2014, 12:06:47 PM »
Since I am a pilot for one of the remaining U.S. Airlines, I have been looking for an open trip to Huntsville with enough time to do exactly that. It was my hope that someone on here might know him enough to be able to facilitate and opening.

He may not have them anymore. He isn't going to admit if he does. If you are serious, it may be worth paying him a visit in person.

BigPines

« Reply #120 on: October 03, 2014, 12:00:26 PM »
He may not have them anymore. He isn't going to admit if he does. If you are serious, it may be worth paying him a visit in person.

HawkerDriver

« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2014, 11:54:33 AM »
Does anyone know what Jackie is going to do with the molds that he has?
That is an interesting idea for someone other than Jackie. He can't legally have anything to do with these molds based on that court order.

BigPines

« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2014, 10:04:11 AM »
That is an interesting idea for someone other than Jackie. He can't legally have anything to do with these molds based on that court order.

HawkerDriver

« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2014, 09:53:28 AM »
Here is an Idea!  Jackie might even go for it.  The law suit stipulated that he cannot sell a molded body.  How about if he rents the usage of the mold?  In this case, He has manufactured nothing. Labo can do nothing about someone building something for their own personal usage, no matter how much it resembles their product. I am looking into what it would take to make my own set of molds.  Just a thought.

BigPines

« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2014, 09:30:54 AM »
I'd like to see a new legal thread once we can establish what the law really is. We'd have to break it down by country I guess. 76mx mentioned The Lanham Act. I'll look it up to see if there are any nuggets in there.

Now I am only speaking of the U.S. here...It is funny to me that we spend so much time and resources going after trademark and copyright infringement here. It seems like more effort and resources are thrown at that than anything. More than fighting any other crime (including terrorism). I guess it's safer to go after this kind of stuff than it is violent crime. Has anyone else noticed the Homeland Security seal showing up on video game and movie copyright notices? What the heck does this issue have to do with Homeland Security? It seems just another power being abused to me.

In this country, it is illegal to defeat a copy protection mechanism such as what is found on Blu-ray discs even if the purpose of that is to use the movie you own on another device. This stuff has gone too far. It is no longer equitable.

I actually see both sides of this coin. I am a software engineer. I wouldn't want to see someone copy my code bit for bit and then sell it as their own (or give it away for free) but if they want to go through the work of making a program from the ground up similar to the one I wrote, even if they used my program for inspiration, I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

It seems like there should be a reasonable compromise in this area but it doesn't look like there is. It seems like whomever has the deepest pockets gets what they want. In this case, we are definitely outgunned.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 09:41:59 AM by BigPines »

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2014, 07:14:25 AM »
Didnt Jackie buy the triangle G molds because triangle G was in trouble with Lamborghini ?

As said earlier , he will just sell the molds to someone else and someone else will start making bodies

Matty99dun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2014, 03:33:18 AM »
Some times us guys in OZ get taken the wrong way : / I not firing up at anyone and understand your just a messenger, I am just really determend to find the truth on what is ok and what is not. I am not saying that no one is right or wrong on here with what they know, the trouble is everyone ends up not knowing what to believe, and then there is the different laws for other parts of the world.
Thanks for your info Purple LP670 everything your saying makes perfect sense, and I can see how the law views it in that way, I was searching for the laws more on the manufacterer/kit seller, I think the best thing would be for myself to see a lawyer.
Keep building ; )

adifferentlook

• Liked: 8
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2014, 01:36:52 PM »
Well i am pretty sure there are more than one mold and these bodies will resurface underground with no website advertisement this time.
Its almost like drugs, i dont think you can stop the replica bodies from popping up and us building them.Someone will always have a copy and then pass it on to the next person.
Anthony

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 649
  • Member Rating Points: +23/-0
  • Big Gulps, huh? All right! Well, see ya later.
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2014, 01:25:45 PM »
Just for clarity and hopefully to put an end to this, here is one of about 1000 quotes I read on the subject of counterfeiting and the purchasing of counterfeit/replica items. In no way can Lamborghini come after an individual person for obtaining a replica. Frowned upon yes but not illegal. There is no way this many people can be wrong on the subject, it is solely on the person producing the replica. If he had just advertised them as nothing more than a shell, he more than likely would have been untouchable by Lamborghini.

The Fine Line of Legality

It’s an urban legend that buying fake handbags or knockoff sunglasses – or any other type of counterfeit goods, for that matter – is against the law. Let’s put a stop to that rumor right now: it’s not illegal. The misinformation gained traction in spring of 2011, when a New York City councilwoman proposed making buying fake handbags a misdemeanor, punishable by a $1,000 fine and possibly jail time. The measure, however, failed to pass. You can still get your Guchi and Prado bags along NYC’s Canal Street without fear of legal reprisals.

However, that doesn’t mean the law fails to hold the other side of the exchange responsible for selling those counterfeit goods, although there are plenty of shades of gray here too. Say you try to sell a pair of fake Air Jordan shoes, pawning them off as the real deal – that’s against the law. Why? Because it’s trademark infringement. But if you just sell a pair of tennis shoes that look like Air Jordans, but don’t use any of the logos (like the Nike “swoosh” or the silhouette of Jordan soaring through the air for a dunk) – and, most importantly, don’t claim they’re the real deal – you’re likely in the clear.
I met a man with a dollar, we exchanged dollars and we still had a dollar. I met a man with an idea, we exchanged ideas and now we both have two ideas!!!

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2014, 01:10:21 PM »
Exactly Tallon. Same here. He didn't have a clue who I was even though I scheduled to pick the kit up and also paid a deposit prior to the final cash payment. He isn't stupid and very well aware of the legal issues involved with selling these body kits. I highly doubt he kept records of who bought what...  Plus lambo would have to peal that body kit out of my cold dead hands if they did try to take it!