Author Topic: DOOR LATCH / ENGINE COVER RELEASE CABLES  (Read 2623 times)

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Re: DOOR LATCH / ENGINE COVER RELEASE CABLES
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 10:49:09 AM »
Lots of bicycle cable and housings on Ebay.  You can choose the type of end you want (barrel or Tee) to fit your needs.  Also get the crimp ends to stop the fraying of the cables if needed.  You can make a simple pull end like my pic out of round stock with a set screw to pinch the cable and with a pin or bolt to attach to your latch.

Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Graeme Stebbing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 30
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 10:45:57 PM »
Guys probably the longest cable on the planet comes from a Toyota MR2 sw20 either the boot release, the engine cover release, or rear boot , or throttle cable, that's what I am using. The throttle cable is just the right length for our mid engine projects and plenty of them  at the pickapart.

RT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 02:33:13 PM »
Nice kit Jim.
I made a very long release cable for my gas cap that runs from the driver's door jamb, around the rear of the car, and to the gas cap on the passenger's side. I got the cable housing from a local bicycle shop.  It is the housing used for bike hand-operated brakes.  They sell that cut to any length from a spool.  Unfortunately they don't have the cable for inside in any length.  That cable (1/16" dia.) is available at the local Ace Hardware from a spool, cut to length.
I made ends by using crimp-on electrical wire connector lugs that I crimp on then solder.  For locations that need only a lug on the end of the cable, I used just the crimp-on suction of the lug and cut off the ring part.  In other locations I used the ring style connector for a 1/4" bolt so I could attach the cable to pull a bolt at the part needing a tug.
This is just a home-made solution to getting long cables.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
DOOR LATCH / ENGINE COVER RELEASE CABLES
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 09:18:08 AM »
Autoloc makes a door latch release cable kit if you need one.  Autoloc also makes a cable extension kit.  Also a go-kart accellerator cable will work for your engine cover release.  Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired