Author Topic: bonding the door skin to the inner door  (Read 2482 times)

Simple Man

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: bonding the door skin to the inner door
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 03:47:01 PM »
I followed Dale's procedure, Use wood screws or sheet metal screws in multiple areas to hold skin in place and then duraglsss, Lots of sanding!

434 by Lambo Samm, on Flickr

443 by Lambo Samm, on Flickr

Great pictures Lambo Sam!  Thanks!  should help when I get to that point! 

Simple Man

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 03:30:16 PM »
This is from my eManual showing how I skinned my doors.

Lambobuilder thanks!  Your emanual provides a great source of info, as well as the 3 part series, So you want to build a Kit car ?  good stuff!

Simple Man

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 03:26:17 PM »
You'll want to scuff about a 2'' lip on the interior mating surfaces with at least 80 grit if not 36 grit sandpaper. Cut you approximately 2''x 4'' frayed end pieces of matt glass. Fully wet them on a plastic surface and use them like tape. Run at least 3 layers on your edges. I don't have any pictures of when I did it on my Murc doors but the bonded very well.

The picture shows the exterior mating surface that I also bonded with glass strips

Thanks Jets!

What about on the upper frame area, do you put any material (panel bond or dyna glass) in between the outer and inner door panels?  Or do you just lay material on the outside of the two panels clamped together?  ::scratch

Yes I did. I used a piece of steel on the upper section to keep my door sturdy and used 3m body panel adhesive to bond the outer shell to the steel as well as the inner shell to the steel. Also followed the edges up with glass because my gap was about 1/2”.

Jets Thanks!,  The 3m 8115 is some great stuff.  I utilized steel in my upper frame.  Probably apply 8115 to the two pieces and clamp in place, let cure then follow up with glass.  Using the OEM window glass was a bit challenging as it required quite a bit of jockeying to get the door to work with the glass.  If there is any place it will look odd with be the upper inner door frame.  But at least I will have glass windows that work :)

Simple Man

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 03:12:12 PM »
I haven't bonded my door skins, but for most things I've been using a windshield urethane adhesive which provides a permanent adhesion and stops any vibration or leaks. Then I back that up with fiberglass mat in a number of strategic locations (as appropriate). Between these two methods, it appears to be really solid.

Thanks for the input Neils!  Yes the 3m Windshield urethane is some great stuff, used it in my headlight build.

lambo_sam

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
  • Liked: 149
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
  • So. Cal, living the lambo dream everyday!
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/147611676@N08/albums
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 01:21:16 PM »
I followed Dale's procedure, Use wood screws or sheet metal screws in multiple areas to hold skin in place and then duraglsss, Lots of sanding!

434 by Lambo Samm, on Flickr

443 by Lambo Samm, on Flickr
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 01:24:33 PM by lambo_sam »

lambobuilder

• Liked: 211
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
    • Lambobuilder
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 11:41:05 AM »
This is from my eManual showing how I skinned my doors.

Jets303

• Member Rating Points: +6/-0
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 09:57:12 PM »
You'll want to scuff about a 2'' lip on the interior mating surfaces with at least 80 grit if not 36 grit sandpaper. Cut you approximately 2''x 4'' frayed end pieces of matt glass. Fully wet them on a plastic surface and use them like tape. Run at least 3 layers on your edges. I don't have any pictures of when I did it on my Murc doors but the bonded very well.

The picture shows the exterior mating surface that I also bonded with glass strips

Thanks Jets!

What about on the upper frame area, do you put any material (panel bond or dyna glass) in between the outer and inner door panels?  Or do you just lay material on the outside of the two panels clamped together?  ::scratch

Yes I did. I used a piece of steel on the upper section to keep my door sturdy and used 3m body panel adhesive to bond the outer shell to the steel as well as the inner shell to the steel. Also followed the edges up with glass because my gap was about 1/2”.

Neils88

• Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 05:05:03 PM »
I haven't bonded my door skins, but for most things I've been using a windshield urethane adhesive which provides a permanent adhesion and stops any vibration or leaks. Then I back that up with fiberglass mat in a number of strategic locations (as appropriate). Between these two methods, it appears to be really solid.

Simple Man

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 04:00:35 PM »

Thanks Jets!

Jets303

• Member Rating Points: +6/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 09:44:45 AM »

« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 09:47:39 AM by Jets303 »

Simple Man

bonding the door skin to the inner door
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 09:41:21 AM »
Starting to think about the process of bonding of the outer door skin   ::study

Having searched the forums there is not a lot of information.  I did find a picture from Lambojayso's build. 

The picture shows the lower part of the door bonding process.

Any of you in the 3% club have any tips or tricks on, especially the upper portion of the door?  ::help

Thank you
Simple Man