Author Topic: Carbon fiber question  (Read 5182 times)

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Re: Carbon fiber question
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 03:11:38 PM »
Looks like Fate has a few choices...hmmmm
How do stone chips factor into the "hydro dip" vs. carbon fiber as it will be used right behind the front wheels?

20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

minihawn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 84
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2019, 07:30:39 PM »
i was also thinking of the hydrodip option
I guess I’m worried about the  quality. Iv nvr seen anything up close that’s been hydro dipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess quality would depend somewhat on your service provider, but what I have had done is flawless. I do not exaggerate that you can hold it in your hand and not know the difference.
Wonderful! You are Highly respected 76. I respect your opinion. Thank you! Hydro dip here I come! Any particular recommendations ?

Fate has no choice

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 10:41:30 PM »
I guess I’m worried about the  quality. Iv nvr seen anything up close that’s been hydro dipped.

I guess quality would depend somewhat on your service provider, but what I have had done is flawless. I do not exaggerate that you can hold it in your hand and not know the difference.

minihawn

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 09:37:41 PM »

Fate has no choice

FAmonmouth

• Liked: 5
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 08:00:15 PM »

minihawn

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 04:20:13 PM »
Minihawn, Make the skirts in fiberglass then hydrodip them with a carbon fiber pattern. Cheap and easy plus it stays with the skills you already have. When done, you can hold the part in your hand and still not be able to tell that it is not carbon fiber.
Wow! Anyone else agree?

Fate has no choice

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 09:55:53 AM »
Minihawn, Make the skirts in fiberglass then hydrodip them with a carbon fiber pattern. Cheap and easy plus it stays with the skills you already have. When done, you can hold the part in your hand and still not be able to tell that it is not carbon fiber.

Footcutter

• Liked: 142
  • Member Rating Points: +11/-0
    • 3D car printing
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 09:20:46 PM »
Check my build page.  I am carbon fibering my whole car. You can do CF in two ways, laminating, and vacuum bagging.  Vacuum bagging gives strength, and detailed features.  laminating is easy, and gives the look with some strength.  Make sure to use epoxy resins, and youtube has many videos.

minihawn

Carbon fiber question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 09:00:12 PM »
Long time guys. Before I began some of you may consider this Blasphemy. Because my question though it pertains to the process of building and constructing ones own parts with one’s own hands. It is not specifically kit car Lamborghini replica oriented. But here goes, some of you may know me some may mot. I’m building custom size skirts  for my Saturn sky redline. (See pic below) Initially I was going after the Z06 Corvette look between the years 2014 and 2017. However, as I’ve made progress I began to realize the side skirts have taken a life of their own so to speak. Inspired and reminiscent of the Z06 Corvette side skirts. But holding their own. Anyhow when I’m finished building them (almost) I have a choice between various colors and/or textures but more specifically I think I’m going to go with either a flat black, a gloss black, or carbon fiber look. Honestly I’m leaning toward carbon fiber the only issue is that I know very little about it. Anyhow here’s my question, is carbon fiber something and amateur could do? with some video watching and research? Or would you recommend a pro  Of course I have some experience with fiberglass, mechanical, various other related experience. However none with carbon fiber so if anyone would care to chime in and give their opinion. By the way the side skirts are made of fiberglass.

Fate has no choice