Author Topic: C5 Corvette Steering Knuckle Spindle strength  (Read 3930 times)

MufasaCAT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 3
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: C5 Corvette Steering Knuckle Spindle strength
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 02:17:09 AM »
Thanks guys for your info.
My setup is the same as the NEARC chassis. I bought my kit from Ken many moons ago built the chassis to his drawings. His idea was to have the coil-over on the top A arm which makes the top of the spindle load bearing through bump as the shock forms load on the top of the spindle as the wheel goes up on bump.
Looking at his reason for that setup I think its because of the sway bar which is in the way.
I am looking at remounting the coil-over to the bottom A arm as suggested by RT but I will have to move the sway bar.
Can you guys post any photos of your setup so i can get some ideas.
Thanks

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 06:47:24 PM »
I'm wondering why you would want to make the top A-arm where you mount the spring and shock.  There isn't enough available space to put them there and stay under the front bodywork.
Where did you get the idea for this?
Are you trying to make this with a bell crank for horizontally mounted springs and shocks?
You would be much better mounting coil-over shocks to the lower A-arm and mount the top of them to the frame.  That is what I did and it works well.
Just my opinion and advice.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 03:40:56 PM »
I think that I am missing something too. I understand what they are saying and agree that the alloy upper arm was not meant for loading, but why is it the loaded arm? When the lower arm is loaded on the last four inches of a 16" arm, the motion ratio is 1 to 4. Mounting to the last four inches of an 8" upper arm is 1 to 2. This is way oversimplified, but you are going to need a 1,500lb spring and a two inch diameter swaybar.

MufasaCAT

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 01:34:55 PM »
Hi
These are the words from TAC
"The front uprights are from a C5 Corvette which in its original configuration has a loaded lower arm (the spring mounts to the lower arm). In its new configuration the upper arm is the loaded arm, meaning that the sprung weight and all bump-loads of the vehicle are now passing through the top ball joint and top ball joint mounting location of the upright. As the upright is made from alloy, and was not designed for this loading, the TAC has agreed that there needs to be an analysis done, by an engineer, to assess the upright and ensure that it is fit for purpose. This should be done by way of calculations and FEA, and should consider all applicable aspects for example vehicle weight, wheel offset, and should include suitable safety factoring, for example 3G bump is commonly used by LVVTA for automotive components."

MufasaCAT

C5 Corvette Steering Knuckle Spindle strength
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 02:56:15 AM »
Hi
I would like some information please – I’m building a Diablo kit car using the C5 Corvette Steering Knuckle Spindle with a Honda ball joint at the top as the top will be load bearing  with the shock attached to the top A arm. In New Zealand to build a kit car you have to have the design approved as safe before you have compliance to drive it on the road. In the first stages the inspector have come back to me with concerns that the C5 might no be strong enough to have the top as load bearing as they have asked me to have a FEA test at 3G bump.
Has anybody done a test on the C5 spindle or give me any info that would confirm that the top would be strong enough?
Any builders in New Zealand come across this problem?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 03:09:03 AM by MufasaCAT »