Author Topic: Diablo6.0 Build Diary by 01Lambiero  (Read 23562 times)

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Re: Diablo6.0 Build Diary by 01Lambiero
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2023, 03:50:29 PM »
Stock 84-87 Corvette calipers and mounting brackets.  The "special" adapter plate mounting bolt needs to be ground flush to the adapter plate.  See pictures.  I trimmed the rear rotor stone guard BUT I'm going to replace them with the full sized guard.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 03:53:29 PM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Lambo2005

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 8
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2023, 09:26:31 AM »
Okay so I have the two machined brackets made to the drawing you provided and I machined the mounting surface flat and true. Also machining the Fiero Rotors to remove the braking surface leaving just the hub with studs.
I have one question as I have tried to buy the C4 caliper bracket.  C4 covers years from 84-96.  What year C4 should I be using because I found a bracket for a 89 and then put in 86 and the site said it would not fit. Did they change the brakes on the C4 somewhere between 84-96?
Anyway just need to know what year your adapter plate was made for. Thanks

More answers:
1: I made my own caliper mounting adapter using the dimentions from the diagram.
2: It is necessary to true up the adapter mounts on the knuckle as the Fiero caliper mounts to the inside of the arms and the Corvette adapter mounts on the outside of the arms.  (I plan to do this procedure this summer)  I purchased a new Fiero front rotor from Rock Auto ($15) to make the mount for the die grinder.
3: The Fiero rotor brake surface is removed from the hub.
4: The machined ring centers the rotor on the Fiero hub.
5: Your wheels must have the Fiero bolt pattern.
Rob-Diablo D&R kit

Lambo2005

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2023, 07:01:13 AM »
Yeah I plan to do mine in the next few months too. I still have my old rusty Fiero rotors and I plan to modify one to also do the grinding like you specified. You said to true it up. So I assume your not taking off much material. Just removing the rough cast surface getting to a nice smooth mounting surface? Then I'll cut that rotor surface off basically making it a hub. So as for the Corvette rotors they will need to have the 5X100 bolt pattern drilled into those rotors correct?
I assume this will all fit inside the 18" wheel.  I bought the Comp Lamborghini replica wheels that are 18" with the Fiero bolt pattern.
Rob-Diablo D&R kit

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2023, 12:03:02 PM »
More answers:
1: I made my own caliper mounting adapter using the dimentions from the diagram.
2: It is necessary to true up the adapter mounts on the knuckle as the Fiero caliper mounts to the inside of the arms and the Corvette adapter mounts on the outside of the arms.  (I plan to do this procedure this summer)  I purchased a new Fiero front rotor from Rock Auto ($15) to make the mount for the die grinder.
3: The Fiero rotor brake surface is removed from the hub.
4: The machined ring centers the rotor on the Fiero hub.
5: Your wheels must have the Fiero bolt pattern.
Retired

Lambo2005

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2023, 07:24:33 AM »
Thanks for the drawings. Just to clarify whats going on here.
1)It looks like you have taken the Fiero rotor and machined off the actual brake surface leaving just the center housing for the bearings and the studs for the lug nuts.
2)You are resurfacing the mounting surface with a grinder to true up the face for the adapter plate? Are you removing much here? Isnt it already perpendicular to the spindle?
3)You attach the adapter bracket to the new faced off surface?
3)Then you have to redrill the 5X100 bolt pattern into the Corvette rotor
4) Then you slide the Corvette rotor over the machined Fiero rotor
5)Attach the corvette caliper to the adapter plate.

I am assuming this is the process please let me know if I'm wrong. Also how do you know the caliper is centered on the rotor after grinding? Or are you just barely touching off that surface? I assume the adapter thickness of 0.875 is important to centering the caliper on the rotor. 

Also I'm not planning to use wheel spacers so hopefully you only are to get the correct offset and its not needed to clear the wheel?
Sorry for all the questions but I appreciate your help the pictures are very helpful.
Rob-Diablo D&R kit

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2023, 10:10:01 PM »
Additional files on how I plan to true up the alignment of the calipers to the rotors.  Additional files for concentric ring and adapter plate dimensions.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 10:22:03 PM by 01Lambiero »
Retired

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2023, 09:58:01 PM »
Fiero stock spindles: Corvette C-4 rotors and calipers.  The Fiero rotors need the outer brake area machined off.  DO NOT CUT THEM WITH A TORCH! (it causes hard spots that are hard to remove).  If you use spacers, you will need longer studs.  The hard part of the conversion for me is machining the outer surfaces flat where the caliper adapter bracket bolts on.  I have been working on a plan to utilize a die grinder fastened to the Fiero rotor.  Plans to follow (old technology from the 90s guys).  The pdf file shows the dimensions for the centering ring and the caliper adapter plate.  Some of the instructions in the pdf do not apply.  Ingenuity is manditory in this business.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 10:06:10 PM by 01Lambiero »
Retired

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2023, 11:09:10 PM »
Northstar Mufflers:  Here is my previously installed mufflers.  I switched to the GTR mufflers later on.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 11:13:45 PM by 01Lambiero »
Retired

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2022, 11:39:52 PM »
Yeah!!!  Love that Cadillac wiring splice.  The saying goes "A Cadillac is a computer with 4 wheels".  Over 150 wires run behind the engine and enter the dash behind the glove box.  Just don't cut the wrong wire.

Retired

lambobuilder

• Liked: 208
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
    • Lambobuilder
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2022, 08:11:09 AM »
Love the innovation of the builders on this forum. Great job!  I remember wiring the Northstar to the Fiero harness. Learned a lot.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2022, 04:34:45 PM »
I got real busy as a trustee at church.  5 years of repairs etc.  Priorities limited work on the replica.  I thought that I would post what little work I continue to do.  Wiring up a Cadillac engine to the Fiero has been challenging to say the least.  The Cadillac has the backup lights controlled by a module in the trunk.  X nay on the trunk module.  The neutral safety switch is mounted on the transaxle works as required.  To control the leds in the dash for my PRND321 I am in the process of making a control switch which will mount on the Olds Aurora shifter.  I modified the shifter to control the rear mounted transaxle in the rear of the chassis.  I used a pc board with brass buttons to activate the LEDs on the dash.  The Reverse contact will be wired to a relay to operate the backup lights.  Baby steps.
Retired

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2017, 02:44:20 PM »
76mx:  Six-pack??  Don't you have a Bow-Flex yet?  Thanks and a tip of the hat to RT for sending me the inner front lid panel.  What a guy to help out.  Just a small bump in the long road.  One more item on my bucket list.

Yes, I thought that was pretty standard currency in the hot rod business. What is a BowFlex? Must be one of those computer things that I am electronically challenged with.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »
76mx:  Six-pack??  Don't you have a Bow-Flex yet?  Thanks and a tip of the hat to RT for sending me the inner front lid panel.  What a guy to help out.  Just a small bump in the long road.  One more item on my bucket list.

Retired

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2017, 08:27:00 PM »
Crap like that is irritating to me. If you will pay for shipping, I will make you a correctly done hood for a sixpack.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2017, 02:31:03 PM »
Meanwhile back at the ranch after losing my front lid somewhere in the mountains of Pennsylvania:  I purchased a "new" lid from a guy on Craigslist.  I sent him the money and he sent me a poorly packaged lid (see pic of damaged lid).  When contacted, we settled on $40 for my rework and repair on the lid.  Anybody receive a check for $40 in their mail and don't know why?  Please send it to me.  Thanks
Retired