Author Topic: Fiero side rail strengthening and general frame/unibody strengthening  (Read 1690 times)

Simple Man

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Fiero side rail strengthening and general frame/unibody strengthening
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 08:41:53 PM »
I welded a 1"×3" box beam (1/8" wall) along the Fiero door sill and then built up a frame using 1"×1" steel. Since the Fiero roof had been cut off, I wanted to make sure there couldn't be any flexing in the door frame. This section will also have to be rugged enough to handle people getting in and out of the car.

That looks nice, thanks for the picture.  I think I can get something to work and beef up what is there, which isnt much!

Neils88

• Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: Fiero side rail strengthening and general frame/unibody strengthening
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 08:20:57 PM »
I welded a 1"×3" box beam (1/8" wall) along the Fiero door sill and then built up a frame using 1"×1" steel. Since the Fiero roof had been cut off, I wanted to make sure there couldn't be any flexing in the door frame. This section will also have to be rugged enough to handle people getting in and out of the car.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 08:23:30 PM by Neils88 »

Simple Man

Fiero side rail strengthening and general frame/unibody strengthening
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 12:57:14 PM »
What are you folks with fieros doing to strengthen the fiero structure?  I have seen the frame that has added under the car, and a few with metal added to the sides under the door sill

Mine car has neither.  You can see that area under the door sill with the spray in foam.

Should I weld a piece of metal over the foam area?  Asking for a friend   :LL: