Author Topic: Neil's Aventador Build  (Read 10660 times)

Neils88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: Neil's Aventador Build
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2024, 09:53:03 PM »
Hmmmm.... I never seem to post any updates. Most under- panel work is complete... just getting ready to start the bodywork. Hoping to be painted by this summer.

I took a little time away from the garage (thanks to covid) but was able to start work on the some of the dash/ center console components. I priced the oem Aventador components and many of them were a little too expensive. However, I've managed to get a few oem, combined with some similar Huracan and Audi parts. I am going to put together a setup that looks close, and at a fraction of the price. With a little creativity and some 3d printing I'm hoping that when I'm finished it'll look and function close to oem. Of course I still need to get it all working so I'm just starting the process of decoding each individual component so that they can all communicate.

The light switches and the drive mode buttons all run on a LIN bus. The start button and the center console accessory button panel (power windows, hazard, esc, lift etc) are all basically hard wired (separate pins per function), the MMI uses RS232, and the climate control uses LIN bus and CANbus.

The LIN bus was fun to crack without access to running vehicles. I have the Aventador drive mode switches completely decoded (buttons plus leds). The Huracan headlight switches annoyingly use the same LIN bus address as the Aventador drive mode switches, so they'll have to run on separate buses. Next up will climate control.... that should be fun.

And no... the Audi forum guys were no help for anything.

Finding the LIN bus addresses is easy enough (only 60 possible).... but it is really tough to figure out the control codes. Audi helped create the standard for the LIN bus, but they don't bother following it themselves. I literally had to start pumping random codes to the switches until something happened and I could then narrow it all down. I almost fell off my seat the first time the drive mode switches lit up.

Once I have everything decoded, I'll try to put together an info sheet with all addresses and codes if there is anyone else wanting to go this route.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 10:09:45 PM by Neils88 »

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 282
  • Member Rating Points: +10/-0
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2021, 05:15:06 AM »
Wow! great setup you have there. Looks like you are set up for a wonderful retirement! enjoy ::LAMBO

Neils88

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2021, 02:33:46 PM »
Finally got the lift installed and set up. Melted my first hammer drill on the first hole. Clearly wasn't up for the job. 10 holes, 7/8", 5" deep. Bought a new Milwaukee rotary hammer. It had no problem with the remaining holes.

Now I finally have access to every part of the car! 

Neils88

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2021, 10:25:32 PM »
I just received the new Wilwood Superlite 4 piston calipers. I had them done in Lemans yellow. I still have to order the rotors, hats and the electric parking brake calipers. The front rotors will be 14" and 13" for the rears. I'll be machining the brackets myself. (In case anyone is interested, the entire setup costs about $7k Cdn.... not including the brackets... ouch)

It'll be good to get rid of the stock Fiero rotors lol

lambobuilder

• Liked: 211
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
    • Lambobuilder
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2021, 08:26:09 AM »
Looks like a great setup with lots of room. Can't wait to see your next steps on the car.

Neils88

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2021, 03:31:41 PM »
The Maxjax M6 is "portable" 2 post lift (ALI certified). The total lift is 48". The posts are not full height so no, it is not designed to be attached to the ceiling. The posts can be unbolted and rolled away on wheels to make room. The pump is on a cart and hooks up with quick connects. I chatted with someone who has two of them... he loves them and has never had any issues.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2021, 09:44:45 AM »
I looked up the Maxjax to see if it mounted to the ceiling in any way.  I think that it lacks in support as it depends solely on that small plate on the bottom and will require a balanced load for sure.  Just $.02

20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Neils88

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 09:10:40 AM »
After a year long hiatus, I'm finally back to the car. We moved from Ontario back to Nova Scotia and built our retirement home. Unfortunately, thanks to covid, it took us forever to build the new house... but well worth it! The Aventador stayed in storage in a trailer for the whole time. I finally have a decent size garage... and just ordered a Maxjax M6 two post car lift. Should be here next week.

Ok... back to work...  ::bounce

Neils88

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 07:50:08 PM »
Recently, I've been working on the wiper system. By getting this finished I'll be able to finalize the fiberglass around the windshield, which will be a big step forward. Originally I wanted to use the Fiero wiper mechanism and wiper arms. However, the link system (used by most cars, including Fieros) turned out not to be feasible as a result of the tight space. Additionally, the Fiero wiper arms are terrible looking. I decided the best thing was to purchase the oem Aventador wiper arms. I'm also going to use the system from an MGB. This uses a cable driven system, which allows installation in tight spaces. The only modification required was to change the wiper posts from the standard straight spline to the tapered spline used by Lamborghini, Audi, VW, etc. This involved a little bit of machining and welding, but turned out to be relatively simple.

I still need to finish mounting the system, but that should be relatively simple.

Neils88

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 11:04:28 AM »
Just went through your build on the other forum. Very impressive engineering.

Thank you Lambobuilder.  :)

lambobuilder

• Liked: 211
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
    • Lambobuilder
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 09:51:50 AM »
Just went through your build on the other forum. Very impressive engineering.

Neils88

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 04:51:31 PM »
Managed to finish some work in the engine bay. The cross brace/ shock support is actually structural since I removed the Fiero trunk completely. The shocks are just for show however. The real ones are in the stock Fiero location, but aren't visible even with the open 20" rims.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 04:55:55 PM by Neils88 »

Jets303

• Liked: 149
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 11:23:19 PM »
I’ve been pondering myself how to do this with all the panels that are supposed to be removable. I’m thinking the flanging molding method is in my near future
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 06:19:35 PM by Jets303 »

Neils88

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 06:39:02 PM »
you could make a cover piece,similar to the carbon fiber overlay that has some material inside as well as cover the complete outside

I hadn't thought of that. Though it would likely be as much work as just creating a new part with a built in flange. I'll definitely consider it though!

italianknightrider

• IKR
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Liked: 79
  • Member Rating Points: +36/-2
  • LAMBOCLONE MAFIA - Administrator / Owner
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 06:18:04 PM »
you could make a cover piece,similar to the carbon fiber overlay that has some material inside as well as cover the complete outside
We hope our post help someone finish their build or get them interested in our hobby and start a build.