Author Topic: Aventador Build  (Read 2867 times)

Neils88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 135
  • Member Rating Points: +2/-0
Re: Aventador Build
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2023, 01:59:36 PM »
You're making great progress! You seem to be going twice as fast since you decided to sell!  ::tongue

LP700-4

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2023, 05:39:31 PM »
Lots of progress this weekend. I was able to get the front suspension installed.

Project is still for sale

https://youtu.be/rtkxrsh1EUg

LP700-4

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2023, 04:36:28 PM »
Here is a new video - worked on the rear framing and adding in the x-brace above the engine

https://youtu.be/FRbPhMJE7TU

Jets303

• Liked: 149
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2022, 11:31:11 AM »
If I had to guess, 60 degrees or so. 30 from 90.

The Auto is dialed in but its sensitive. If you come around a corner and press the peddle to heavy, the transmission will down shift and the motor revs like hell and it gets sideways! You kinda have to feather in the power or it downshifts and redlines lol

If I had to do it again, I would have gone 6 speed! If you go 6 speed and dont like it, Ill trade you for this setup!

LP700-4

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2022, 10:37:23 AM »
I will have to pick up some 1/4 plate for when I get to the hinge mounts, thanks.

Do you know what your coil over angles are at from 90 degrees? I can use that to calculate that actual spring rates. I will probably go lighter in the rear and a little higher in the fronts

Are you still having issues with the auto? I thought you resolved that already as a shifter issue??? My plan was to use the auto...

Jets303

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2022, 03:30:29 PM »
I see! Yea I figured you weren't done with the mount point but I know Inland Exotics (when they were around) used to use that same spot to mount the hinge and it wasn't nearly as strong! I used 1/4'' plate and triangulated

Tank size should reflect how much welding you do. Smaller tanks don't put out any less gas, just less time at that rate. If the weld is making good penetration then you should be fine but esthetically, once poweder-coated or painted, the gas shielded mig welds just dress up better!

My rear is a 500lb rate. It is a little higher but I wanted a slightly stiffer feel since this will be a track car. The fronts are 275lbs each and feel a little soft. The car is close to full weight and it handles ok. I may end up adding bags up front so that could help dialing in.

If you run this motor, run the 6 speed manual with it!

LP700-4

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2022, 12:11:54 PM »
Hey Glenn, great work so far! Would like to lend some advice if that's ok?

1) The cross bar that appears to be for the hinge mount under your front fender is too thin. It looks like 1''x3''x 1/8th wall. I used the same thing on my Murcielago build years ago and it flexed bad. You'll need a 3/16th wall or triangulate it somehow.
2) You need to turn up the heat on your welds. You have too much wire speed and not enough penetration. I would also suggest getting a gas setup and turning the heat up. Flux core is supposed to be for a quick, down and dirty weld. You'll want shielding gas to avoid getting any impurities in the welds!

Thank you and advice is always welcome!!

• Good eye, that cross bar is 1" x 3" x .120" wall however, it only supports the windshield and will be braced more once I start cutting up the 3/6' plate steel. I am using OEM hinges and they mount further back on the body. See below for a photo of what I mean. I will need to figure out how to brace it as it is out in space at the moment.
  • Thanks for the advice on the welds. My welder is capable of gas welding. I would need to get a new hose as mine broke at some point and a tank. How big of a tank should I get? I have a small tank here from many years ago.  As for the heat, I did have it hotter at one point but must of accidently changed a setting at some point. I'll also slow down the wire speed some. The last photo is one of the last welds I did yesterday with the heat turned back up. I like doing things right so if I need to grind these down and weld them again I will or I can fly you out here to weld it for me :)

Again, thank you for the help and suggestions.

If you don't mind, I also have a question. What are you running for spring rates in the front and rear and what angle are you coilovers at? I plan to run the same engine/trans combo.

Jets303

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2022, 08:50:01 AM »
Hey Glenn, great work so far! Would like to lend some advice if that's ok?

1) The cross bar that appears to be for the hinge mount under your front fender is too thin. It looks like 1''x3''x 1/8th wall. I used the same thing on my Murcielago build years ago and it flexed bad. You'll need a 3/16th wall or triangulate it somehow.
2) You need to turn up the heat on your welds. You have too much wire speed and not enough penetration. I would also suggest getting a gas setup and turning the heat up. Flux core is supposed to be for a quick, down and dirty weld. You'll want shielding gas to avoid getting any impurities in the welds!

LP700-4

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2022, 08:27:50 AM »
Finally got the chassis back to where I was several months ago before all the modifications were made.

https://youtu.be/1RceG6ObapU

LP700-4

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2022, 07:07:05 PM »
Spend the weekend working on the fiberglass roof section. Running into a few problems getting everything to line up

https://youtu.be/yXYTvVm7eX8

LP700-4

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2022, 02:33:12 PM »
More progress on the front firewall

https://youtu.be/htctkmaSYcE

LP700-4

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2022, 05:19:50 PM »
My chassisworks chassis required, and still is, a lot of modifications for a murcielago. Fun stuff. I know about the heat in the garage... I'm down south GA and mine isn't insulated yet, the humidity is the worst :(
Thanks for sharing

That GA heat must be awful!  Luckily it has cooled down a bit here but we still have high humidity. Good luck with your build.

Major changes to the front firewall section and a test fit of the roof section

https://youtu.be/hhMiryJ1ooc

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2022, 03:56:35 PM »
My chassisworks chassis required, and still is, a lot of modifications for a murcielago. Fun stuff. I know about the heat in the garage... I'm down south GA and mine isn't insulated yet, the humidity is the worst :(
Thanks for sharing

LP700-4

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2022, 03:24:45 PM »

Doing a little more work on the chassis modifications.

https://youtu.be/GqdGgJN715Q

LP700-4

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2022, 08:22:36 PM »
Spent some time in the garage fixing the chassis due to mistakes from the 3D model of the monocoque that I got from online.

https://youtu.be/J0v3G6WWmnU