Author Topic: Purple People Eater LP670 SV Build!!!  (Read 199445 times)

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Liked: 649
  • Member Rating Points: +23/-0
  • Big Gulps, huh? All right! Well, see ya later.
Re: Purple People Eater LP670 SV Build!!!
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 09:35:59 AM »
When I dropped the gas tank I contemplated buying a new one after seeing how rusty it was. There is a guy on one of the Fiero sites selling aluminum gas tanks for a fair price. After sticking my phone down inside the tank and not being able to get in touch with this person I decided just to redo the tank I had. After removing the varnished gas inside, I lightly sandblasted most of the heavy rust deposits from the exterior of the tank, primed it with a rust converter, and painted it. All in all I was happy with the results and will be able to use the money I saved on something else. I ordered a ep381 fuel pump which I soon realized isn't a direct fit into the 84 fuel sending unit (unless of course yours comes with the in tank wiring harness) which mine did not. So after doing a little research I was able to use part #WH3000 which is a in tank wiring harness from Tahoe! Pretty snazzy Huh!!!

I met a man with a dollar, we exchanged dollars and we still had a dollar. I met a man with an idea, we exchanged ideas and now we both have two ideas!!!

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 09:27:29 AM »
Sure appears I'm getting a lot done in a little amount of time hehe!!! I'm just being slow at catching up to where I am currently at in my build.

This is where I started cutting around the tub of the car to incorporate some stainless tubing. I spent a lot of time staring at this thing trying to figure out how to go about it,  It's just finding a method to the madness. Here is my rear coilover kit from Arraut/Held that I adapted a set of Monroe shocks to fit. I also got myself a set of stainless headers which I'll probably wrap with black header wrap eventually!
I met a man with a dollar, we exchanged dollars and we still had a dollar. I met a man with an idea, we exchanged ideas and now we both have two ideas!!!

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 09:16:26 AM »
I think ,that when you buy a Vintage Air complete kit(Mini) is cheaper and you can bet your Purple, it will work .
also I too changed my pulley 3,4. you'll need a bit smaller belt, it will slip and make noise. I can give you the Good Year belt ## if u need it.

Thanks for the input I will definitely keep that in mind if I can't figure out the 3800 compressor conversion. I think my belt is tight enough but I have yet to start it up to find out. If you don't mind I would love to have the Part# for that belt for when I cross that bridge, which it sounds like I might!!!

Welcome to the forum! You are wasting NO TIME getting things done, glad to see another SC3800 car being built. As for the AC I'm running into the same issue right now, I've heard the same thing about mating the fiero lines up to 3800 AC compressor. If you find a good source for doing this let me know. Ive read that a company will do this for around 200 bucks and you have to ship them both lines, seems a little costly to me but i may have to go that route.

Thanks, as for the A/C lines I think I have someone locally I can get to do this, I think!!! I was also curious if there was an alternative for the stock fiero lines as mine are pretty beat up!!! Not really sure when I'll get to that point but when I do I'll let you know! I purchased my ECM and wiring harness through a guy that goes by FieroFlyer out of Canada I sent him absolutely nothing aside from 400 bones and he sent me a reprogrammed ECM with everything I asked for, and the complete plug and play harness! He might be a good one to ask. If you need his info I hopefully can find it!

In one of my trips to the junk yard I was in search of one thing!!! I had read on another forum that certain minivans with 3800 engines were equipped with something special. Stainless braided line, off a Silhouette mini van no less!!!

usmc_butler

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Liked: 418
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-0
  • Mafia Productions
    • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 08:47:57 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, I was wondering about the alternator myself! Right now I just plan on getting this thing back together and running then I'll worry about stuff like that as it presents itself. Someone told me that I would be able to use the 3800 A/C compressor with some different fittings. Is this not true?

Welcome to the forum! You are wasting NO TIME getting things done, glad to see another SC3800 car being built. As for the AC I'm running into the same issue right now, I've heard the same thing about mating the fiero lines up to 3800 AC compressor. If you find a good source for doing this let me know. Ive read that a company will do this for around 200 bucks and you have to ship them both lines, seems a little costly to me but i may have to go that route.

I think ,that when you buy a Vintage Air complete kit(Mini) is cheaper and you can bet your Purple, it will work .
also I too changed my pulley 3,4. you'll need a bit smaller belt, it will slip and make noise. I can give you the Good Year belt ## if u need it.

Eddie, to run the 3.4 pulley did you have to have the ECM reprogramed? I had a 3.2 on mine and had bottom end from hell but had KR (knock retard) at higher RPM's so I ordered a 3.5 and isn't as fast and lost some SC whine but has no KR now. I was just wondering of a good source to have my ECM or PCM reprogramed.

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 10:49:19 PM »

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2013, 08:14:13 PM »
Here are my poly bushings and my cradle after getting it back from the powder coater. Learned just how expensive powder coating can get. I had the cradle blasted and coated a satin black which was really affordable but wanted something different for my a arms and spindles. I had them coated a silver vein with a candy purple not thinking it would come in at close to $400.00 for two spindles and two a arms!!! Wishing I had just bought some held wide track a arms, but ya live and you learn. Anyway here is my frame, it's a collaboration of material that was discarded at work so it is an interesting little puzzle, with some shady welding at best!!! I'm removing the entire rear section and starting from scratch. Please disregard the paint can jack stand LOL!!!

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 08:05:11 PM »
your Alternator his mounted high you may have re mod the fakie or lower the alt. been there. also if you are using a A/C from aftermarket you need to mod A/C compressor bracket to fit the new one.

Thanks for the heads up, I was wondering about the alternator myself! Right now I just plan on getting this thing back together and running then I'll worry about stuff like that as it presents itself. Someone told me that I would be able to use the 3800 A/C compressor with some different fittings. Is this not true?

Hey another machinist on board! The engine turned out pretty sweet. I'm sure someone here can tell you tricks like the SC mod for the 3.8, if not there's tons of info out there for that engine on Grand Prix forums.
Your friend could paint the badging on your car...  ::beers

YOU BET YA!!! I did most of my research as to how far I could or should go with the 3800 SC on some of the forums you mentioned. I did everything I could without getting carried away. Did I mention the guy who painted that on there only has one eye!!! LOL!!!

SchulzeA

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Liked: 217
  • Member Rating Points: +33/-1
  • Lambo Mafia
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 02:03:54 AM »
Hey another machinist on board! The engine turned out pretty sweet. I'm sure someone here can tell you tricks like the SC mod for the 3.8, if not there's tons of info out there for that engine on Grand Prix forums.
Your friend could paint the badging on your car...  ::beers

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 09:23:43 PM »
This is what the engine looks like after I got her back together. I had a guy from work do some pin stripping and what not just for fun and something to look at. Eventually I will probably have a replica engine cover over this anyway!
your Alternator his mounted high you may have re mod the fakie or lower the alt. been there. also if you are using a A/C from aftermarket you need to mod A/C compressor bracket to fit the new one.

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 08:27:29 PM »
The engine looks great. It has nice personality. :)
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »
This is what the engine looks like after I got her back together. I had a guy from work do some pin stripping and what not just for fun and something to look at. Eventually I will probably have a replica engine cover over this anyway!

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 08:09:11 PM »
 I wanted to slightly upgrade my engine, nothing major. So I rebuilt the 3800 Supercharger, made myself a 3.4" pulley instead of the 3.8", and milled out what seamed to me a restrictive portion of the supercharger. Not sure if this will help, with my luck I probably hurt the performance a bit, woops!?!? Either way I planned on adding headers and a cold air intake, nothing major as I feel this engine will have plenty enough power for what I plan to use it for! ;)

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 08:04:44 PM »
Thought I'd play with some different colors in hopes to figure out what I wanted the finished car to look like. I went in looking for something similar to Plum Crazy Purple, and came out with Dupont Hot Hues Purple Rhapsody. I like it a lot but am curious if I shouldn't just go with the Lamborghini OEM purple?

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 08:00:21 PM »
Here's a pic of the engine going back together Far cry from what I started with!!!

Purple LP670 SV

• Lambo Mafia
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 09:08:56 PM »
Removed the engine cradle, I sent it off to be blasted and powder coated along with the rear spindles and A-arms! Turned out the car was a little rougher than I was hoping!!! Got my block and heads back from the machine shop. The block was dipped and honed otherwise they said everything looked good on it, the bad news was one of my heads was cracked which required me to purchase another one! In an effort to try and catch up with where I am in my build process I will post some more tomorrow as for now I'm off to work!!!