Author Topic: Phil's Folley --- Murcie Build  (Read 8380 times)

pparker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 11
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
Re: Phil's Folley --- Murcie Build
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 03:30:45 PM »
The Fiero was almost completely rust free and was semi-stripped when I bought it.  I did the Fiero stretch per the B&B Customs web site and many other helpful build libraries recommendations and it worked great. I reinforced the chassis, sides, front, and rear with $350 worth of steel.  It is very rigid.  I originally planned to run an X frame under the car but didn't think it was necessary.  A jack on one corner will lift half the car with absolutely no sign of flex or stress.

pparker

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2014, 11:00:54 AM »
The Fiero was almost completely rust free and was semi-stripped when I bought it.  I did the Fiero stretch per the B&B Customs web site and many other helpful build libraries recommendations and it worked great. I reinforced the chassis, sides, front, and rear with $350 worth of steel.  It is very rigid.  I originally planned to run an X frame under the car but didn't think it was necessary.  A jack on one corner will lift half the car with absolutely no sign of flex or stress.

Mild engine mods, small pulley, nice stainless headers, and paint.  May do more later.  A Champion radiator was mounted in front with a big fan.  Went with early rebuilt Chevy power steering rack.

jrule78

• Liked: 5
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 11:56:54 AM »
    Great minds think alike! Maybe we can share ideas on our builds.

pparker

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 10:18:42 AM »
Keen eye -- jrule78.  When I purchased the kit, a 95 engine and trans came with it.  I decided I wanted all the Pontiac stuff, HVAC, heads up, radio, etc., so I purchased a wrecked low-mileage 04 Pontiac GTP.  I will soon have a 95 engine and trans for sale.

MDMurcy2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 54
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 08:59:20 PM »
Very nice work so far.  Welcome to the forum.  I am really anxious to see a clean, well built Mercy 1. 

Mitch
Keep dreamin if you want to, I'm building mine!  And I'm almost done!

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 01:25:19 PM »
Thanks for the tip RT. I will keep that in mind myself.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:37:36 PM by BigPines »
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 09:01:30 PM »
Phil, I'd like to add, be careful how you suspend the body.  If you hang it for a long time with few supports it will deform.
Try to support it at many locations to prevent distortion  Keep even tension at all points.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

jrule78

• Liked: 5
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 08:35:53 PM »
    Welcome Phil. I think you're a decade off on that engine/ trans.  I never saw a gen 5 blower with electronic throttle on 95!

RT

• Liked: 308
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 01:00:18 PM »
Phil, welcome to the club!
You are in good company.  Jim (01Lambiero) and I are late 60's too and would like to meet you at Carlisle.  We hope you can make it.  Where are you located?
I like your personal desire on how to build.  I think too much emphasis is put on being an exact replica.  After all, this is YOUR build.  Build it as you please.
Looks good so far.

RT
It isn't enough to want a Lambo, you have to want to BUILD A CAR.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 11:45:57 AM »
Welcome, Phil, to Lamboclone.com.
Tons of info to be had on this site.  Carlisle Show coming up in May 16,17,18 .  Swing over and meet some of the guys.  You may find some useful info in my Diablo build diary.  You may want to add some bracing on your side framework.  see attached pic.  YOUR GARAGE IS TOO CLEAN!!

Jim
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

BigPines

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Liked: 272
  • Member Rating Points: +28/-1
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 10:58:15 AM »
You got one heck of a good deal on that first package! That was just the shipping cost right? Welcome to the forum! ::wave
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:59:48 AM by BigPines »
If I don't have time to do it right, when will I have time to do it over?

pparker

Phil's Folley --- Murcie Build
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 10:23:42 AM »
Hello, my name is Phil and am posting my first Lambo build.  At 67, I have built and restored at least 30 cars over the past 50+ years as a hobby.  I recently sold my Factory Five Cobra and wanted a new project.  I decided to tackle building a Lambo from scratch which has proven to be by far the most difficult and time-consuming project I have ever taken on. 

I bought the Murcie I body, 88 Fiero chassis, a low mileage 95 GTP motor and trans from a forum classified ad and had it shipped from Florida to Maryland for $700. 

After more research and reading everything on Mad Mechanics, Pennocks, Kit Central,  and others, I decided I wanted all the Pontiac GTP options (HVAC, wiring, radio, heads-up display, etc.) so I purchased a wrecked 04 GTP and completely stripped it, thus my folly began!  I will emphasize that I am not attempting to duplicate a Lambo.  I am building a car that will be fast, good looking and will have all the creature comforts plus resemble a customized Lambo.  In other words, I am building it to suit myself.