Author Topic: Random pics of my 6 ohh  (Read 16275 times)

Thumper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 31
  • Member Rating Points: +1/-0
Re: Random pics of my 6 ohh
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2014, 08:24:05 AM »
Sure hope the smooth sailing part is true!  haha
I will have a way to get in and out manually in case of a pwr failure via a small hidden manual release on the outside and on the inside a standard style door release.  That wouldn't be too cool to be stuck in or out side haha.

The window regulator is actually from an Caddy D'Ville and I had to modify it by shortening it a lot.  The only place I could manage to put it was toward the rear of the door and have it work correctly.  I would have preferred the center of the door but the windows go up and down in the tracks pretty well.  The big issue I had was the piece that moves up and down is larger than I thought when I bought 'em.  With it in this position I get the most travel out the window.

Going to put a little more metal in the door to stiffen it up so it isn't wobbly and it'll make it a little more safe as well.  Yea, they won't pop up so quickly which is a good thing.  They're still a little tough to pull down when sitting in the car, but I think once I get them all built up, the extra weight weight will "feel" right.  If not, I'll adjust the gas springs accordingly. 

Thanks for the input!  I have been pretty much through this entire site and it and its members and pics have helped me out tremendously!   I only hope my few pics on here can help someone out in the future.  I'll definitely post up some more door pics just before I bond the outer side on so others can see how I did mine. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 08:26:43 AM by Thumper »

lambo_sam

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
  • Liked: 149
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
  • So. Cal, living the lambo dream everyday!
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/147611676@N08/albums
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 01:53:32 PM »
Hey Thumper, the video is real cool and all but just some food for thought, Please make sure and install manual door releases for exterior and interior, If the battery goes dead on the remote or the car, you could be screwed.

Also why is your window regulator and motor positioned more to the rear of the door? Have you tried it with the door glass already? It looks like it will be unbalanced when the window goes up and down…

Also are you going to add any more reinforcement to the door? For reliability and side collision reasons, (God forbid)

Also when you start adding on everything else to the doors i.e. Glass, Both interior/exterior panels, arm rest, upholstery, speakers, side view mirrors, etc… these items will add on weight so just don’t be too surprised if the doors don’t pop up perky like they do now.

Feel free to rummage through my build pics of my doors, there are some videos there too... 
Just trying to help bro.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:03:38 PM by lambo_sam »

LP640

• MURCI MAFIA
  • Liked: 36
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
  • LP640
    • Free Website
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2014, 10:28:45 AM »
lookin good man, once those doors are done its smooth sailing ;)
Siteupp.com

Thumper

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2014, 09:57:05 AM »
McMaster is where I got mine and they ship FAST!  Very happy with them and they carry pretty much everything.

eddie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 04:45:52 PM »
99% we use this
http://www.mcmaster.com/#shocks/=ucpeie #6465K7
 shipping in USA only , no Canada

Rob James

• Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +4/-0
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 03:34:53 PM »
Thumper, I saw your video... I agree, very cool!! 01Lambiero, who sells adjustable gas springs for doors? Do you have a preferred Manufacturer? I found this site, http://www.lstechnologies.ca/ but what I'm looking for is a model #.

Thumper

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2014, 07:07:21 PM »
So, it's been a while since I've been able to work on my Lambo.  But all last week before work and this weekend I finally have the doors working.  They are quite wobbly but I need new hinge pins and once I get some more metal and the outer door frame bonded on, they'll be pretty solid.  Next step is the door locks (easy), then the inner door panel is going to go on first to make sure I can access everything inside before I bond the outer door panel on.  Pretty happy but can't wait until they're solid and don't wobble.  Progress!! Woohoo!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkr_tTnRu_Y&feature=youtu.be

lambo_sam

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
  • Liked: 149
  • Member Rating Points: +17/-0
  • So. Cal, living the lambo dream everyday!
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/147611676@N08/albums
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2014, 02:16:17 PM »
looking good Thumper, I agree with 01Lambiero, you should really think about modifying the rear bumper, especially if you are going to run rear rads, those openings you have are just not enough for air flow to escape, your car is going to run hot please believe, this is a prime time for you to do the change now then later down the line after paint and body, just a thought...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 02:20:59 PM by lambo_sam »

Thumper

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 08:17:38 PM »
Here's a couple of pics from today's progress.  The 150 pound gas springs work really well and once I get the latches on, the window regulator and channels in, and the frame bonded to the inner door, it'll be pretty strong.  Still have a little bit of beefing up of the frame and welding to do, but for the most part I made good progress today.  Can't wait till tomorrow!
edit: also got the window regulators in.  They're actualy from a caddy deville.  Shortened a little. :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:28:13 AM by Thumper »

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2014, 08:21:16 PM »
You should have purchased the "reducable gas springs".  That way you could adjust the gas to handle the weight of your doors.  They're called gas springs or gas struts and not shocks.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 09:00:44 PM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

Digibeam

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 257
  • Member Rating Points: +12/-0
  • Show me, don't Tell me...
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 05:21:41 PM »
I use 250 pound springs on my front shocks.... ::K

Thumper

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 05:16:27 PM »
So for everyone's amusement....
Just as I thought, I welded the door shock mounts up and figured out the location of the shocks.  My 250 pound shocks were so tough though, I could almost hang off the door!  Haha  Don't remember where I read to use 250 pound shocks, but at least they weren't too expensive.  At least I can mock it up and I know my setup is going to work.  So just put 2 more 150 pound shocks on order. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:08:34 PM by Thumper »

Thumper

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 01:19:12 PM »
So yea!  My door shocks came in today.  I'm a little worried though.  I purchased the 250 pound shocks from McMaster and think these might be overkill.  I might have to add some weight to the door to balance them out as I'm using Marguard instead of glass.  Once I get my window tracks, motors, speakers, latches and gizmo's in there, I'm sure they'll work fine.   That's now this weeks project and when I get the inner door frame assembly working correctly, I'll post up some pics. 

Thumper

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 10:08:06 AM »
My adapter is from http://www.streetdreamsbyross.com/ and it bolted up perfectly.  I am using both lower motor mounts and I was already thinking of using a strut on top like the 4 cyl Fiero's did just for some added security. 
Oh and I've got power door lock actuators, 250 pound struts, and window motor assembly on the way.  Should be here any day now so I will be able to get some more pics up as progress is made.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:10:22 AM by Thumper »

jdinner

• Liked: 25
  • Member Rating Points: +6/-0
    • KwikerCars
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2014, 04:51:03 PM »
Looking good.
Is that a V8 Archie adapter kit? If so, PLEASE make and install a fore/aft motor mount at the top of the engine. If you don't it will rip out the transmission mounts and break the front motor mount bolts.