Author Topic: Vent Grille Mesh  (Read 13764 times)

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
Re: Vent Grille Mesh
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 09:56:14 AM »
If it depends on what you are building, what exactly would you build where overheating would be acceptable? And every racecar that I ever built was darn pretty.

Tallon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 186
  • Member Rating Points: +18/-5
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 07:18:09 AM »
Depends what you're building the car for I guess
If you're racing it probably doesn't need to look pretty anyway

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 11:53:18 PM »
O1L,
   It is not just the percentage of the hole, the size of the hole is also critical. A simple experiment will show this. Blow an electric fan through a window screen, which I am guessing is at least 75% open, and see how much air passes through. The faster the air moves, the less it will pass through a small opening. I am one of the many that has found out the hard way that 1/4" screen on the front of a racecar at 100+MPH will overheat in no time, it has to be 3/8" or better. I know this sounds absurd, but when a car overheats constantly for no apparant reason, take the screen off and see what happens. Numerous people more knowlegable than me on the subject have verified this after the fact.

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
Vent Grille Mesh
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 01:28:20 PM »
In my search for steel mesh to go in my air scoop and radiator intake openings, I located a company that sells mesh that may work for your build also.  McNichols.com's downloadable pdf master catalog.  Remember to check the air restriction percentage when ordering mesh for your air intakes and vents.  I looked for a round hole perforated mesh that had 1/4" holes on 1/4" centers but couldn't find any.  All that I found was .25" on .313" centers 20ga.  This size of holes cuts the air flow down to 58% of the opening.  The mesh that I liked better was the hexagon hole .25" on .281" 22 ga." which flowed 78%.  When air flow counts especially to your radiators, 20% more air makes a difference.  I am waiting on McNichol to send me a "cut to size" quote which I will post on here when it arrives.  First pic: 1/4" hole pattern.  Second pic: 1/4" hole pattern.  Jim
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 01:41:36 PM by 01Lambiero »
20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired