Author Topic: Importing Kit Cars  (Read 5298 times)

76mx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 358
  • Member Rating Points: +16/-0
Re: Importing Kit Cars
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 11:05:00 AM »
Realizing that this thread is two years old, I too do not understand the big Canada issue. A year ago this month I sent a Countach to Ontario which crossed at Niagra Falls with no issue at all. 

r8gnbull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 0
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 10:25:16 AM »
I imported mine from the us into alberta and had no problems what so ever. I did have all my ducks in a row though and communicated with transport Canada through the whole process. when I came through border they didn't even look at the car except at window when I crossed. car was complete and drivable, but on trailer. if you need any help let me know and ill fill you in with what I did...

Tusabes

• Liked: 127
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-2

Rob James

• Liked: 18
  • Member Rating Points: +4/-0
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2015, 09:29:28 AM »
It seems so sad to me that relatively civilized nations like Canada and the U.S.A. have such antiquated import laws. Making something that should be easy, an extreme hassle. I think I'll look into registering it in the U.S. and driving it in Canada. I'm told that's doable. Time will tell.

Rob,  :'(

eddie

• Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 08:07:49 PM »
OK, we all know how shabby KIT CAR BIZ is right? I don't know how it works in other province but here in Ontario , you gather all your purchase of all parts and donor car,sworn by legal attorney that all work was done by you etc. Transport Canada ( MTO) will give two different ownership Home Build or Rebuild Kit ( that's what I have) now you can select your own VIN # or they will issue you one. one removable VIN #.
I guy  bought a Murcilago about 7 years ago in L A got it  repainted to orange flip. had car transport to Niagara Falls US ,flew the owner to Niagara and let him cross the car to Canada ,WINTER TIME and cold the man crossed the border , got a bit of hassle  since the car was roadster  and no top OK, yeah its funny while the new owner was watching on other side sheeting is his pants , anyway  crossed load up on flat bed out she goes to 105 KM treck home. meantime the guy took cab back to US and flew home happy since he sold one piece of crap to new dreamer. very esy removed VIN and replace with OEM Fiero .Bada boom Bada bim.
mean time the car was a very bad and was resold no new owner back in US of A. oh the second owner died in motor bike accident.
 That's how is done the under ground Shabby KIT CAR BIZ.

Rob James

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 06:24:03 PM »
No kit cars only as off road
Factry5 has agreement with Canada as road safety blah blah,  but not all parts are allowed .some Minor parts has to be purchased by one Canadian broker.
Tell the guy to drive it across the boarded and fly back . You got your kit.
I know few who did it like that
Eddie, I agree that would be the way to get it in, but how does one insure it when it shows as having an American registration? Trying to navigate unfamiliar waters here. Would it not have to be referred back to Customs to get all the appropriate approvals?

Rob,  :'(

Linlor

• Liked: 28
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 05:12:15 PM »
I agree with everyone that has replied.

You cannot import a kitcar/replica as a car.  I brought a highly modified Fiero frame across into Alberta from the US several years ago and the Canada Border Services guy tried to fill out a form that said that I would not drive it on the road.  Off road only.  Luckily, he could not figure out the form so went to his standard and registered the frame as a highly modified Fiero.  That was just luck and the official process should have been to register into Canada as off-road only.

You would have better luck with Charley's frame since he has the certificate and other paperwork to help, but you could not have drive train or suspension mounted (theoretically drivable).  You could include the body in the same shipment as it would be considered parts at that point.

I recommend you go to Factory Five web site and it has a full section on how to import into Canada and what can and can't be included.  I do know a full inventory of pieces needs to be provided as well as some other paperwork that you submit to Transport Canada ahead of time and get the approval documents so when you hit the border, on a transport or yourself, you have the docs ready and it goes much smoother.

Trying to bring a just about or complete replica across the border is pretty much unreachable unless you can prove the purchases/build is the older time period.  Not sure what that year is but DUBUC SLC says 17 years.  Again, check with Transport Canada first before doing any cross border planning.

Good luck
Don

DUBUC SLC

• Liked: 27
  • Member Rating Points: +0/-0
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 04:23:30 PM »
In Canada  A chassis with any kind of mechanical part on it.....It`s a car...
so you can import parts ....but nothing assembled...
Factory Five is following the law....all parts....After that is your province rules  each different....in Quebec the chassis needs to be approved by SAAQ approved Engineer....Again Factory Five Did It....Please do not try to import something that is not approved by your province, you will get stuck with it. For a fully assembled kit, you need proof that the was assembled and registered on the road over 17 years ago!!!!! to get across border , this is controlled by transport Canada....  Be Carefull

76mx

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 03:23:35 PM »
RJ, when Winnebago buys a chassis with a VIN and MCO from GM to build a motorhome on, they did not buy a "Kitcar". When LaFrance buys a chassis with a VIN and MCO from Ford to build a fire truck on, they did not buy a "Kitcar". It seems to me that when you buy a chassis with a VIN and MCO from me (an Internationally Registered Automobile Manufacturer), you did not buy a "Kitcar".

Rob James

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 01:30:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies Guys. 76mx they don't really define what a Kit Car is on their website, it just says they're not allowed. I was sort of the same opinion as you, in that, if it has a Fiero VIN number, for all intents and purposes it IS a Fiero. I'm just trying to be cautious, I'd hate to spend all that money and not even be able to drive it or insure it.
Eddie, ya that's what I suggested to the owner and he just laughed at me. I have to find a way to make this work for both of us. I'm certainly open to any suggestions. Is this something a Customs Broker could navigate?

Rob,  ::beers

eddie

• Liked: 285
  • Member Rating Points: +19/-2
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 01:20:09 PM »
No kit cars only as off road
Factry5 has agreement with Canada as road safety blah blah,  but not all parts are allowed .some Minor parts has to be purchased by one Canadian broker.
Tell the guy to drive it across the boarded and fly back . You got your kit.
I know few who did it like that 

76mx

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 11:13:07 AM »
RJ, what is their definition of "Kitcar"? I can sell you one of my chassis with an International ISO Certified VIN and an International ISO Manufacturer Certificate of Origin, and sell it with or without a body. How is this a "Kitcar" when it has a VIN and MCO? I think this is the same way Factory Five sells their cars in Canada.

Rob James

Importing Kit Cars
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 10:27:27 AM »
Gentlemen, this one goes out to any of the Canadian Builders out there, or even the Americans who have experience in this. Is there a way to Import a U.S. Kit Car into Canada? The Canadian Government website says "No Kit Cars" allowed. Is there any legal work arounds for this? For instance Importing as a 1988 Fiero, or any other possible ideas? Any and all options will be entertained. Thanks in advance for any possible suggestions.

Rob,  ::beers