Author Topic: D&R Coupe - just now building it  (Read 35065 times)

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
Re: D&R Coupe - just now building it
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2016, 09:11:23 AM »
I hadn't heard of any problems like that, the biggest thing that I had heard was due to the radiators not being sealed to the ducts and the lower quality fans being used

sisqocracker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Liked: 45
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-0
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2016, 08:23:24 PM »
Maybe these pics will help show it better.  I hadn't gotten to where I could install these bits yet.  They go on just before you glass the assembly in.

http://100mpgmotors.blogspot.com/2016/08/aug-16-maybe-this-will-help.html

Thanks,
Coop

sisqocracker

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2016, 07:17:30 PM »
Hopefully will have it glassed in and posted up some pics of it by this weekend.

Thanks,
Coop

sisqocracker

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2016, 07:05:57 PM »
Maybe I don't understand what you mean by sealed.  Other people who have had these and a V8 in their car complain about not getting enough airflow through their radiators.  If they left them closed up where the only intake inlet to the radiator was from the inlet on the top of the quarter panel, they only get enough at about 60 or 70 mph.  They'd overheat sitting in traffic.  The answer those guys found out was to open up a large "access" hole in the part right in front of the radiators and then they were fine.  Now that was with using these same radiators.  Apparently the V12 in the real car has more cores than these radiators do and can dissipate more heat, because although I have about the same size displacement wise, I'm not making as much power.  Sounds like the V6 guys 3800's and such don't have this problem.

So I've just followed what has already bit them and chose to do that step now rather than putting them in and mine getting hot (me already knowing this will be a problem) and then remove the radiators from the ducts which would then be glassed in and cutting them and trying to rework it with it in the car.  So I'm just choosing to trust that the 2 or 3 other places where I had read this before are probably what I'll have happen to me and deal with it now rather than later. 

Word is, it just doesn't flow enough air without speed and the vacuum behind the car helping you out.  I guess for the short answer.  :-)

Thanks,
Coop

AdrianBurton

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 202
  • Member Rating Points: +21/-0
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2016, 02:01:32 PM »
question...
 without the air box sealed you will never get all of the air to go through the radiators, how are you going to manage that?

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2016, 11:07:55 AM »
Agreed, I'm also going to have to fabricate something similar for my car.
Pedro

sisqocracker

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2016, 10:31:07 AM »
I probably will.  I have some liners from my old 95TA that I had.  I kept them from the front of that car, the rear didn't have any.  But these pieces actually duct the air into the radiators at speed.  Plus they already came with my kit, so why not use them?  They have a couple of different features, aside from being much stronger than plastic liners, they do serve as a good way to channel air away from the rear coming off of the rear tire (less turbulence).  They mate up to the back of the car (at the air exits) and the big vent holes in the quarter panels so they add structure to the car (much beefier than without).  They are shaped so that it gives you an easy way to get to the tail lights from the trunk area, which means the hot air leaving the radiator isn't blasting the tail lights as it is ducted out the hole at the rear.  That's what the funny looking swoop at the end and on top is there for.  It is your way to block off the exit from the radiator and mate up to the top of the exit on the back of the car with one another and not burn your tail lights.  I'll have more pictures as this goes in and you can see the whole tail light thing I'm talking about.  So I'd say the 3 reasons why I'm using them (well 4 if you say 'cause I already have them) but the 3 would be; controlling air flow through the radiator front to back in and out of the car, inner wheel well fender for controlling air coming off of the rear of the tire, saving the heat from the tail lights and making it easy to swap those bulbs through the trunk.

Thanks,
Coop

Thanks,
Coop

01Lambiero

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Liked: 403
  • Member Rating Points: +24/-3
  • "Using the skills that God gave me"
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2016, 09:49:43 AM »
Why aren't you putting plastic wheelwell liners?

20 yr. GM Niase certified Auto Mechanic (Tune-Up, Brakes, & Heavy Repair)
24 yr. GM Automated/Robotic Welding Systems
Retired

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2016, 08:41:55 AM »
jajajaja, well whatever works and whatever it takes to get it done!
Pedro

sisqocracker

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2016, 07:35:38 AM »
Say autopro, here are some more pics of those shrouds I've got.  Pretty funny what I did here in this update.

http://100mpgmotors.blogspot.com/2016/08/aug-15-right-tool-right-job.html

Thanks,
Coop

sisqocracker

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2016, 09:29:46 PM »
Got my radiator fan shroud mounts done.

http://100mpgmotors.blogspot.com/2016/08/aug-14-fan-shroud-mounts-are-on.html

Body comes back off again tomorrow and will have another update for what gets done then.

Thanks,
Coop

sisqocracker

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2016, 11:06:46 PM »
A couple of more updates as I was down for the count for 2 days after an accident, it's listed in the 1st of these two updates here.  But now that I'm back on my feet I'll be getting more knocked out over the next few days.  As always, plenty of pics to see what I'm doing.

http://100mpgmotors.blogspot.com/2016/08/aug-11-physical-bug-not-software-bug.html

http://100mpgmotors.blogspot.com/2016/08/aug-13-not-48-hours-later.html

Thanks,
Coop

sisqocracker

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 10:58:10 PM »
I've got two updates as I haven't been on here.  Either working for income or on the Diablo lately.  Plenty of pics there.

http://100mpgmotors.blogspot.com/2016/08/aug-8-test-mounting-on-car.html

http://100mpgmotors.blogspot.com/2016/08/aug-10-engine-cover-rough-cuts.html

Thanks,
Coop

sisqocracker

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2016, 03:50:29 PM »
I've made a video of putting the second one together. You'll be able to see more of the shape of it. Rick of D&R lore has been in Asheville for some time now. With Tom. They might source some. Not sure.

Anyhow.   Here it is.

http://100mpgmotors.blogspot.com/2016/07/jul-31-2nd-radiator-build-out.html

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2016, 09:59:03 AM »
That sounds like a very nice kit.  I can tell you from experience that trying to find and source all the pieces required to build these cars has been the hardest part.  I don't have shrouds like that for mine so they are on my list of even more parts I have to fabricate.
Pedro