Author Topic: Nickmkk's Build  (Read 26234 times)

nickmkk

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 61
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
  • Cloquet, MN
Re: Nickmkk's Build
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2016, 07:58:42 PM »
I've been making some progress on the framework for the body.  I wasn't really thinking ahead though because I can't get the rear quarter pieces out, lol.  I guess I'll just add on the framework for the rear bumper then cut it apart where the quarters and bumper meet.

I've read that a lot of guys prefer to use urethane to glue the framework to the body but I'm thinking I'll use a fiberglass to metal epoxy, anyone know of any problems with that?

lambocars

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 68
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-1
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2016, 04:22:11 PM »
It gives more strength to the chassis .... so if ...

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2016, 03:41:17 PM »
Lol, yes, it is a bit overkill.  :LL:

lambocars

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Liked: 68
  • Member Rating Points: +8/-1
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2016, 03:31:44 PM »
nick!!!yo hubiera puesto el tubo mas grande para sujetar los radiadores... ::toothy ::toothy
jjaajajaj...es broma...

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2016, 01:29:16 PM »
I got the body setup and cut some pieces of 1'' square tubing for my A pillars.  Unfortunately, when attempting to bend them I bent the handle on the tubing bender, lol.  I guess 1/8'' wall tubing is too much for this tubing bender, it looks like I need a hydraulic tubing bender.
 :(

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2016, 03:30:55 PM »
I've mounted the radiators and connected the radiator support to the lower chassis. 

I'm about ready to start reinforcing the body with 1'' tubing.  I'm not sure if I should flip the body upside down or set it up on blocks.  It sure would be easy if the body was upside down but I'm worried that it won't hold the same shape if I do.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 04:01:08 PM by nickmkk »

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2016, 08:44:47 PM »
Yes sir, windshield is sorted.  I also built the framework to mount the radiators today, I still need to weld on some tabs to bolt the radiators in place but it's looking pretty good.  I might also connect the bottom of the framework to the lower chassis for extra support, probably overkill but doesn't hurt I guess.

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 282
  • Member Rating Points: +10/-0
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2016, 05:11:30 AM »
Looks like you got the windshield sorted out now. Nice job ::thumbup

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 03:25:34 PM »
I added more fiberglass to the bottom side of the pillars then ground them down so I have about a 5/16'' gap all the way around the windshield.  It looks like the door skins still line up too, you were right by the way, there needs to be about a 1/4'' gap for the door skin to line up with the windshield at the bottom.  Thanks again for the advice, it's saving me a lot of trouble no doubt.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 09:22:24 AM by nickmkk »

★Murci-Me★

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2016, 11:53:20 PM »
OK cool, I'm glad it works for you. Also, keep in mind the trim that will go on top of the windshield to hide the edge. I remember when I did my build, I set the windshield in place with the spacers underneath (1/4"), then mounted the trim on top of the windshield where it would go. I then sanded the door pillars so they lined up exactly at the same height with the trim molding.

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2016, 06:18:42 PM »
I finished the fiberglass for the bottom of the windshield, I think it turned out pretty good.

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 11:44:15 PM »
Thanks for the input, the door skins that I have actually line up really well with the pillars in their current position.  If I cut them and moved them up to the windshield I would have actually compounded the problem.  Lowering the bottom of the windshield will make the door pillars line up better in my case, or so it seems.

Thanks for the tip about the erethane spacers, I probably need to trim a little off the top of the pillars so the windshield will still line up with the roof when the erethane is in place.  There is a small gap in the center of the pillars so that will be easy.

★Murci-Me★

• 3% CLUB MEMBER
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Member Rating Points: +3/-0
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 11:07:31 PM »
I'm just curious as to why you just didn't cut the bottoms of the "A" pillars free and move them up to where they needed to be and then glass them back in their new position? Lowering the bottom of the windshield will just compound the problem of getting the door pillar to line up with the new position of the glass. Trust me, you are going to want everything in place to make sure it all lines up properly, and the ONLY way to do that is to have your doors installed to check how they will line up with the curvature of the glass. You will need to mock up where the windshield will be when installed by putting spacers under it to mimic the windshield urethane that will be bonding it down. Once that's done, (if your doors are not completed and mounted) you will need to check the fit of the outer door skin and secure it where you want it to be. I think you will see that now that the windshield has been lowered at the bottom, it will no longer line up with the bottom of the pillar on the door. Changing that would be impossible, and would create a huge gap at the bottom of the windshield.

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 282
  • Member Rating Points: +10/-0
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 08:28:59 PM »
Nice work buddy! ::beers

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 03:04:54 PM »
It's still high in the center but it's not far off, I can easily fix that by forcing it up in the center and reinforcing it with steel.  I'll probably glue in the steel bars for the a pillars then push up the center with a jack and bend a piece of 1x1 to that shape.  Then I'll glue that piece in and weld it to the a pillar bars, once the glue dries everything should stay in place.  I won't get to that for a little while though.