Author Topic: Nickmkk's Build  (Read 25813 times)

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • Liked: 1204
  • Member Rating Points: +43/-1
  • Tijuana/San Diego
Re: Nickmkk's Build
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 02:47:19 PM »
Good job, that looks nice now  ::thumbup  How did it line up at the top?
Pedro

nickmkk

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Liked: 61
  • Member Rating Points: +5/-0
  • Cloquet, MN
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 01:44:46 PM »
I think I figured it out, after thinking it through it occurred to me that the majority of the pillar gap was at the bottom of the windshield and I actually needed to do my trimming at the bottom.  I removed the whole flange where the bottom of the windshield sits and the pillar gap is looking good now.  I just have to glass in a new flange for the bottom of the windshield and I'll be good to go.  Then, I'll just use a jack to raise the center part of the roof and reinforce that with steel and this windshield will fit pretty good.  Thank a bunch for the suggestions guys.   
::beers

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Liked: 282
  • Member Rating Points: +10/-0
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 11:33:31 AM »
Im sure you will get it looking good. Just take your time and think it through. I am building my car with an OEM copy body and it is still requiring a ton of adjustments and tweaks to align everything.
Just the way it goes with these cars. I would try to get the maxima windshield to fit if you can, it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the alternative. lol
The other thing I thought about was maybe you could park the car out in the hot sun for awhile with the windshield laying in place. The high parts may start to sag some? Just a thought.

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 11:00:18 AM »
Thanks, I will give it a try and see if the sides line up any better. I can also twist the doors around a bit to make them line up but I hate to change their shape.  The doors look funny on the car that my dad bought from fatboyslim and I can see now that's what they did. They didn't make the roof line up on that car either though because the windshield sticks up in the center.  I'll let you know what I decide, hopefully I can make it work without it looking like an abomination, lol.

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2016, 10:45:19 AM »
If you can get it to a workable shape with the jack. Try and reinforce it with glass and steel before removing the jack.

lp670mike

• Lambo Mafia
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2016, 10:44:08 AM »
My suggestion would be to get a block of wood and a scissor jack and put under the center of the roof up front. Slowly jack it up until it contacts the glass or matches the curvature. You may also need to clamp the body down if it is just resting on the chassis.  When you jack up the roof it may change the curvature of the A pillars some and you will see what you are really working with.
Also if I remember correctly the G28 guys cut slots at the lower corners for the winshield to slide the corners of the glass through the cowl area. Not sure if you have done that yet?

Good luck and keep us updated. ::thumbup

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 10:03:21 AM »
I can definitely force the center of the roof up a bit to make things line up.  Unfortunately, i just checked the door skins to see how the sides line up and the sides of the windshield will stick up above the doors.  I'm not sure what I'll do yet, I may trim the pillars down and live with the uneven roof line.  Hopefully, 76mx secretly ordered some extra murci windshields that he'll sell to me, lol.

Thanks for the picture of the oem windshield, I wasn't sure if it is acceptable to fill that much of a gap with the erethane.  I was considering filling the gaps with fiberglass, lol.

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 09:48:16 AM »
Have you tried to push up your roof in the middle to see if the windshield will sit more flush?  Maybe this will make it match the curvature of the windshield to the roof.  I’m not building on the G28 or using the Maxima windshield so I don’t have experience with this so I’m just giving you some suggestions on what might work for you.  Hopefully someone that has installed it in this application can chime in.  Have you installed your doors to see if the sides of the windshield are also flush with the doors?  If not, you might have to trim the pillars to get it to come down.

I know that even on the OEM car there is a large amount of urethane between the windshield and the side pillars, check out this picture for reference.  They use it to get the height of the windshield even with the doors.
Pedro

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2016, 09:38:50 AM »
It looks like the windshield is going to stick up above the doors due to the gap on the pillars.  I'm really wishing I would have got in on the windshield group buy last year.  :-\

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 09:24:31 PM »
I finally test fit my maxima windshield tonight, it lines up with the corners of the roof but there is a large gap in the center and along the pillars.  I'm thinking I should trim down the corners a little bit then try to force the center of the roof up with the steel framework that I'll build in the roof?  Anyone care to share how they've dealt with these gaps, also, are the gaps on the pillar a problem or can that just be filled with adhesive?  Thanks for any advise

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 03:54:39 AM by nickmkk »

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 09:31:29 PM »
I didn't get very far this weekend but at least I got help setting the body on the chassis.  It looks like everything is lining up ok, now to mount this thing to the chassis. 

I think the first step will be to create the rear radiator mounts and pick up the rear mounting point of the body.  Also, It looks like I need to fix the windshield frame, things definitely don't seem to be lining up.  It looks like I need to cut the top of the a pillars and reattach them flush with the flange for the top of the windshield, has anyone seen this before?

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 10:54:55 PM »
I decided to remove the battery box, I can still put the battery in that location if there's room, it looks better either way.

Also, I threw the rear suspension in so I can roll it around and work on mounting the body, hopefully I'll make some progress on that this weekend if I can get help lifting the body.   ::bounce

autopro

• Lambo Mafia
  • Administrator
  • Tijuana/San Diego
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 10:52:57 PM »
Good progress there, you'll have the body back on in no time!
Pedro

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 08:46:14 PM »
I made up for some lost time today and finished the welds to close up the rear engine compartment.  Also, I welded in pieces to close up the front firewall.   ::headbang  It feels like that took way to long, lol.

Soon I'll be test fitting the body and mounting the rear radiators, can't wait to see the body sitting on it again.    ::toothy

« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:44:39 PM by nickmkk »

nickmkk

• Cloquet, MN
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 05:11:31 PM »
I almost finished closing up the sides of the engine compartment when the welder ran out of argon gas. :'(  I guess I'll just finish grinding these welds then sit around drinking beer for the rest of the weekend, lol.

Also, I have a feeling the battery is not going to work in that location when I stuff a V8 in there, I'll just relocate it later if it's a problem.